1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 18:30
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    What sh76 is saying is that if there was a rule to fully review all GAME-ENDING plays, you would've gotten a review of this particular play. But controversy would remain for all plays that weren't "game-ending".

If such a rule was in play - and officials were allowed to go on a slo-mo fishing expedition for penalties that weren't called - you could pro ...[text shortened]... have announcers joking about what a team's "last-play avoidance" strategy will be.
    I don't even think they'd be joking about it. I think they'd be seriously analyzing it.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 19:00
    Originally posted by sh76
    I don't even think they'd be joking about it. I think they'd be seriously analyzing it.
    So what. perhaps we'll eliminate the ref incompetence once and for all! I'm tired of all the non calls. We already have a similar system in that the refs have mini conferences after every dang call anyway. Make it meaningful already!
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 19:05
    What sh76 is saying is that if there was a rule to fully review all GAME-ENDING plays, you would've gotten a review of this particular play. But controversy would remain for all plays that weren't "game-ending".

If such a rule was in play - and officials were allowed to go on a slo-mo fishing expedition for penalties that weren't called - you could pro ...[text shortened]... have announcers joking about what a team's "last-play avoidance" strategy will be.
    Remember, only limited to game ending plays. If it means taking a knee and not scoring a TD then let players be stupif like that. Then we'll have games lasting through eternity according to your what if mentality. Perhaps you're OK with ref incompetence and deserving teams being robbed! One variance would or could be a red flag being thrown to demand a review. I am indifferent to what announcers may speculate during the game. That's another asperct of the game in need of serious review. Too much endless talking head babble by these announcers, always stating either the obvious or some other inanity.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 20:38
    Yes. Officials make bad calls.

I am actually amazed that they get as many calls right as they do. I watch a play and I see 22 people all running in different directions and colliding, and every official is going to have their views obstructed by something or other....and I wonder how anyone is EVER be able to notice that someone was holding or grabbing ...[text shortened]... ver penalties in the last minute of a game, but that would be opening a major can of worms.
    GB was most definitely robbed! How can the refs miss a facemask against a QB. They seem to see the center's anus flinch when the nose guard whispers he's plugging center's sis in all outlets in front of center's mother and call a false start yet they failed to see a facemask!?! What crap is that? This can be averted via limited replay eval if in doubt!
  5. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 21:47
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Missing a field goal is a missed play. Totally differrent from refs missing a call. I'm not even a GB fan and I was mad! Failing to see an open receiver is a missed play. Happens al the time. A flagrant fould like that missed by the refs should result in a suspension! Refs missing a call is not catching a break for the winning team, but a terrible injustice for the lsoing team.
    It's perspective. The non call against drew pearson, was a bad call to Vikings fans, but there is not a man alive that can take all the action of a game, and make perfect calls all day. Holding calls just crack me up sometimes.
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 22:01
    Remember, only limited to game ending plays. If it means taking a knee and not scoring a TD then let players be stupif like that. Then we'll have games lasting through eternity according to your what if mentality. Perhaps you're OK with ref incompetence and deserving teams being robbed! One variance would or could be a red flag being thrown to demand a ...[text shortened]... ing head babble by these announcers, always stating either the obvious or some other inanity.
    I suppose the NFL could experiment with allowing replays to include penalty calls. If the coach thought he saw a penalty that wasn't called, I suppose he could issue a challenge, but he'd have to be VERY specific about the penalty he thought occurred. But so far, no sport has yet to institute replays for subjective calls.

So until this happens, there is nothing that anyone can do about bad penalty calls. If you have good reason to believe the NFL hasn't done everything possible to hire the best officials, then make your case.

Otherwise, we have to accept that no matter how competent the officials, bad calls are going to happen unless they hire superman to officiate the games. No matter how keen your vision, you still can't focus on more than one thing at a time and you can't slow down time or see through people.

When I watch games, I consider the officials to be like weather events or random bounces. If a sudden gust of wind causes a kicker to miss a chipshot FG and your team loses, it's definitely not fair. But lots of times, sports just aren't fair. Over time, the unlucky calls and bounces even out and the team you're routing for benefits about half the time.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 22:29
    I suppose the NFL could experiment with allowing replays to include penalty calls. If the coach thought he saw a penalty that wasn't called, I suppose he could issue a challenge, but he'd have to be VERY specific about the penalty he thought occurred. But so far, no sport has yet to institute replays for subjective calls.

So until this happens, there i ...[text shortened]... calls and bounces even out and the team you're routing for benefits about half the time.
    There is a replay official upstairs watching the game both from the TV screen and the stands. I'm not talking about nitpicking every call, but certainly if the official in the booth sees a bad non-call why not dial it downstairs, perhaps limiting it to a game ending play where something was missed like in this game. I saw the facemask immediately so a booth ref would have seen it as well! A sudden gust of wind is out of everyone's control, a frozen spot from where to kick a field goal is also mother nature. I do not quibble with mother nature. Did you watch the Cowboys game? Phillie player strikes a Cowboy after the play is ended and the Cowboy responds by getting in his face. Flag thrown against both? The attacked player is not supposed to respond in self defense? That's the other stuf in need of review. Lastly, OT should be changed to be like the college style whereby both teams get the ball at the 25, etc, you know the drill. Eliminate the coin toss nonsense. Coin toss should be limited to start of game.
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 00:152 edits
    There is a replay official upstairs watching the game both from the TV screen and the stands. I'm not talking about nitpicking every call, but certainly if the official in the booth sees a bad non-call why not dial it downstairs, perhaps limiting it to a game ending play where something was missed like in this game. I saw the facemask immediately so a b ow the drill. Eliminate the coin toss nonsense. Coin toss should be limited to start of game.
    The more I think about it, the more I agree that you could use instant replay to look at penalties. Like any other play, there would have to be indisputable evidence to overturn a call on the field. That facemask was an obvious (at least in slo-mo). Any challenge on that play would have been successful.

And I do believe that the NFL should go to automatic booth review in the last two minutes of a game, and OT - especially in the playoffs.

However. The rules as they now stand do not allow penalties to be reviewed under any circumstances. So there's nothing that could have been done.

As for OT, I agree about using the college idea and getting rid of the coin flip. But instead of putting the ball on the 25, I would put it on the 40 or even midfield. I don't like that you get almost a guaranteed three points even if you can't advance the ball.
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 03:07
    The more I think about it, the more I agree that you could use instant replay to look at penalties. Like any other play, there would have to be indisputable evidence to overturn a call on the field. That facemask was an obvious (at least in slo-mo). Any challenge on that play would have been successful.

And I do believe that the NFL should go to autom ...[text shortened]... don't like that you get almost a guaranteed three points even if you can't advance the ball.
    On a trial basis it would be great, limited at first perhaps only to game ending plays and making sure that no gets the shaft! I have a lot of respect for some officiating crews and others are simply goofy. I say let 'em play, but within reason. A face mask could be career ending. I like the idea of getting the ball at the 40, or perhaps even at the 35 own field!
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 05:00

And I do believe that the NFL should go to autom ...[text shortened]... don't like that you get almost a guaranteed three points even if you can't advance the ball.
    Could you imagine reviewing every pass interference non call in the last 2 minutes and OT? The game would last all day.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 12:16
    Could you imagine reviewing every pass interference non call in the last 2 minutes and OT? The game would last all day.
    You needlessly focus on pass interference. I'm proposing only reviewing game ending plays. College does. NFL can too. NBA reviews calls on the court. Soccer should also after the France-Ireland debacle.
  12. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 14:47
    It would first have to be run on an experimental basis somewhere - so we can see what actually happens in real life. If it does create too many delays, then obviously, you'd have to modify or scrap the idea.

The idea would be for the booth to call for a review if they suspect an obvious oversight. My feeling is that it would turn out that the on-field officating is actually extremely good and the glaring non-calls are rare. Because the bad calls create so much attention, there's an illusion that they're a lot more common than they really are.
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 14:501 edit
    Ravens over Colts
    Chargers over Jets
    Cards over Saints
    Vikes over Cowboys
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 14:50
    You needlessly focus on pass interference. I'm proposing only reviewing game ending plays. College does. NFL can too. NBA reviews calls on the court. Soccer should also after the France-Ireland debacle.
    Pass interference is the most important type of judgment call that is not reviewed. I don't see how you can start reviewing penalties (or lack thereof) and leave out pass interference. What would your criteria for review be?

Facemask is also a judgment call.

The NBA doesn't review foul calls. In fact, no sport reviews penalties in instant replay. The NHL, for example, only reviews whether the puck went into the net.
  15. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 15:422 edits
    Pass interference is the most important type of judgment call that is not reviewed. I don't see how you can start reviewing penalties (or lack thereof) and leave out pass interference. What would your criteria for review be?

Facemask is also a judgment call.

The NBA doesn't review foul calls. In fact, no sport reviews penalties in instant replay. The NHL, for example, only reviews whether the puck went into the net.
    I think we've all bought into the "it's a judgment call" theory regarding penalties or fouls, so that we've come to accept that there's these calls are somehow impervious to a review. But is there really anything sacred about these calls?

Penalties are actually very much like the "non-judgment" calls. When someone blatantly shoves a receiver 4 seconds before the ball arrives, it's an obvious pass interference. If a lineman grabs his opponent and throws him to the ground, it's an obvious holding. If someone yanks on the mask and turns pulls the guy's head halfway around, it's an obvious facemask.

The "judgment part" comes when you're dealing with minor infractions where the line between interference and non-interference becomes very blurry. Plays where the video review would provide much room for dispute. But the very same thing happens with the so-called "non-judgement calls". Was the guy's knee down before the ball came out? Was the receiver in possession of the ball before he stepped out of bounds? Was the QB's arm moving forward enough for it to be a forward pass? Let's face it. These are judgement calls. In many cases, they require MORE judgement than many penalty calls.

The point is that we need to reverse those plays where something was overlooked that was "indisputable". Anything that is indisputable should be fair game for a video review as long as we have a system that prevents excessive delays to the game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree