1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 01:47
    In general, the great thing about the NHL playoffs is that nobody has any idea about what's going to happen before the playoffs start. The Bruins could get bounced in the first round and Columbus could win the Cup. The pundit can wax poetic in their predictions until the cows come home; they have the same chance at predicting these series as they'd have in predicting a coin flip.

All that having been said, my observations so far:

1) I love the way the Rangers looked in game 1 against Philly. Yes, it was tied in the 3rd period, but in general the game was domination.

2) I don't like Pittsburgh's defense and goaltending.

3) St. Louis drew a tough opening round match against the Hawks. If they make it through (and it looks like they will), they should be in good shape.

4) The Ducks look very good.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 13:21
    Originally posted by sh76
    In general, the great thing about the NHL playoffs is that nobody has any idea about what's going to happen before the playoffs start. The Bruins could get bounced in the first round and Columbus could win the Cup. The pundit can wax poetic in their predictions until the cows come home; they have the same chance at predicting these series as they'd have in pred ...[text shortened]... ugh (and it looks like they will), they should be in good shape.

I never could get into hockey, but I suppose it's better than soccer.

I know very little about hockey, but what I do know says that Pittsburg is the Yankees of hockey. As such, Columbus stands next to no chance.

I think you will find that the more things change, the more they stay the same, which is why sports is kind of a downer to me. You pretty much know what will happen before it does.

Then again, you always have a surprise or two every now and then, which is what I guess makes people watch. All I know is that in Pittsburgh, they can't sell out games with Columbus playing in town. People just don't take them seriously enough to even show up. They are saving their money for the Stanley cup finals.
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 17:313 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    I never could get into hockey, but I suppose it's better than soccer.

I know very little about hockey, but what I do know says that Pittsburg is the Yankees of hockey. As such, Columbus stands next to no chance.

I think you will find that the more things change, the more they stay the same, which is why sports is kind of a downer to me. You pretty mu ...[text shortened]... them seriously enough to even show up. They are saving their money for the Stanley cup finals.
    1. You're an idiot
    2. Hockey has a hard salary cap so your comparison of the Yankees to the Penguins is not only inaccurate but also incredibly idiotic and telling. In fact, I encourage you to state even one thing remotely similar about the two franchises and the way they operate their teams.
    3. The Pens have sold out every home game since 2007 and continue to do so through the playoffs.
    4. Pittsburgh has not made the Stanley Cup finals since 2009 and are nowhere close to a guarantee to win anything.

And most importantly,

5. If you admittedly know nothing about a subject, even when you make claims such as "all I do know..." and "what I do know...", why pretend to when the only thing you do is make yourself look incredibly foolish, stupid and full of it?
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 17:56
    In general, the great thing about the NHL playoffs is that nobody has any idea about what's going to happen before the playoffs start. The Bruins could get bounced in the first round and Columbus could win the Cup. The pundit can wax poetic in their predictions until the cows come home; they have the same chance at predicting these series as they'd have in pred ...[text shortened]... ugh (and it looks like they will), they should be in good shape.

Ok, sorry about that. Was distracted by the braying donkey masquerading as a human being.

Anyways,

I like Boston to win the East and Chicago to win the West. I agree with you that Pittsburgh remains weak in D and goaltending. They have had to gut out two games now against a lesser Columbus team. A more seasoned team would not let that happen. Boston, to me, is the clear favourite in the East and in the entire tournament.

Similarly I don't think the Ducks have the goaltending to go deep unless John Gibson gets some starts and stands on his freaking head like he is capable of doing.

All I care about, since my team is gone, is seeing a Habs-Bruins series
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 02:21
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Ok, sorry about that. Was distracted by the braying donkey masquerading as a human being.

Anyways,

I like Boston to win the East and Chicago to win the West. I agree with you that Pittsburgh remains weak in D and goaltending. They have had to gut out two games now against a lesser Columbus team. A more seasoned team would not let that happen. Bost ...[text shortened]... s capable of doing.

So after brow beating me you concede that Columbus is the lesser team?

Hilarious!!
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 11:511 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    So after brow beating me you concede that Columbus is the lesser team?

Hilarious!!
    Hey, Donkey. Your point was never that Columbus was the lesser team. If that had been the point of your post you would have said, "I predict Pittsburgh will beat Columbus in the first round"

No, you said the following after qualifying your statement that you knew nothing and were talking out your ass:

- Pittsburgh are the Yankees of the NHL
    - Columbus stands no chance
    - You know everything that will happen before it does
    - Pittsburgh can't sell out games when they play Columbus
    - No one in Pittsburgh takes Columbus seriously
    - They are saving their money for the Stanley Cup Finals

Idiot. Why do you even bother putting your fingers to the keyboard here other than to talk out your ass? Is this a quality you have in real life too? Open your mouth only to say ridiculous things that make you look like a fool?
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 14:35
    Hey, Donkey. Your point was never that Columbus was the lesser team. If that had been the point of your post you would have said, "I predict Pittsburgh will beat Columbus in the first round"

No, you said the following after qualifying your statement that you knew nothing and were talking out your ass:

- Pittsburgh are the Yankees of the NHL
    - Colu ...[text shortened]... in real life too? Open your mouth only to say ridiculous things that make you look like a fool?
    Maybe Pittsburgh is now, but I still think Detroit is Like the Yankees of baseball
  8. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 14:35
    I'm glad the sharks are going to sweep LA!!
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 14:50
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Maybe Pittsburgh is now, but I still think Detroit is Like the Yankees of baseball
    What does this even mean?!?!

You people are enraging me.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 18:411 edit
    Pittsburgh is not the Yankees of the NHL.

In the sense that Whodey meant it, there is no "Yankees" in a salary cap league.

In the sense that Rbhill meant it (ability to contend every year for a long time), it's Detroit.

Whodey, no offense dude, but you really don't know what you're talking about on this thread. Pittsburgh is not the favorite to go to the finals. Boston is. They'll only be slight favorites in round 2, if they make it.
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 18:44
    In the sense that Rbhill meant it (ability to contend every year for a long time), it's Detroit.
    OK, that I will get behind.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 23:12

Anyways,

I like Boston to win the East and Chicago to win the West. I agree with you that Pittsburgh remains weak in D and goaltending. They have had to gut out two games now against a lesser Columbus team. A more seasoned team would not let that happen. Bost ...[text shortened]... s capable of doing.

Go Habs! (against the Bruins at least). I just root for anyone against Boston.

Also, if the Rangers do get to the conference finals, I'd much rather face Montreal than Boston.

SJ has looked great so far as well.

What great series we're setting up for round 2.

Imagine:

Bos-Mon

NYR-Pitt

Chi/Stl - Col

ANA - SJ

What great second round series!
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    24 Apr '14 11:553 edits
    Don't count out Dallas and Columbus yet. Anaheim and Pittsburgh have to be concerned about their goaltending woes. Fleury had to stand on his head last night but a few softies cost them the game. Crosby also does not look like himself out there. That's how it goes sometimes. If I was Anaheim I'd throw Gibson in net and not turn back.

Funny how you cheer for anyone over the Bruins. I am the same with the Habs, being a Toronto native and Leafs fan. I would gladly cheer for the Bruins over the Habs even after the heartwrenching defeat we suffered at the hands of the Bruins last year.
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    24 Apr '14 14:07
    Don't count out Dallas and Columbus yet. Anaheim and Pittsburgh have to be concerned about their goaltending woes. Fleury had to stand on his head last night but a few softies cost them the game. Crosby also does not look like himself out there. That's how it goes sometimes. If I was Anaheim I'd throw Gibson in net and not turn back.

Funny how you ch ...[text shortened]... the Habs even after the heartwrenching defeat we suffered at the hands of the Bruins last year.
    I was fuming at the Leafs last year for choking up that 2 goal lead in the last 2 minutes against Boston. Thankfully, the Blackhawks came through in a similar fashion to break the B's hearts in the finals.

I'll root for any team in any sport on Earth provided they're playing against a team based in or near Boston.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    24 Apr '14 14:10

Funny how you ch ...[text shortened]... the Habs even after the heartwrenching defeat we suffered at the hands of the Bruins last year.
    The OT goal wasn't just a softy, it was an embarrassment. I could have stopped that puck and I can barely ice skate. You can't let a 50 foot wrist shot that's 18 inches from the post beat you in a playoff OT.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree