1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 22:14
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    well, i guess we know now why your missus forbade satellite.
    A foul foreboding bade her forbid it.
  2. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 22:231 edit
    What is this deal about USA being the best athletes?

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/spo_sum_oly_med_all_tim_percap-medals-all-time-per-capita

They come in 28th in the list of Olympic medals per capita. This is not entirely fair since some countries are so small one medal greatly improves their rating, so removing Saint Kitts and Nevis, Bermuda, Trinidad and Tobago, Virgin Islands and Tonga, USA rank 23rd, just behind Iceland, France and Italy, while Finland top the list, followed by Sweden and Hungary.
    Finland have a medal per capita 8 times as good as USA's.
  3. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 22:271 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 22:38
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playing_time_%28cricket%29

Games in the sport of cricket are played over a number of hours or days, ... Typically, first-class cricket matches are played over three to five days with at least six hours of cricket being played each day. One-day cricket matches last for six hours or more. Cricket therefore has special rules ab ...[text shortened]... ut intervals for lunch, tea and drinks as well as rules about when play starts and ends.

almost as long as John Isner's current tennis match
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 01:30
    Originally posted by Sikora
    Most athletic country. Soccer isn't even in our top THREE of main sports. Basketball, Football, and Baseball being the three most popular.

So when our probably fourth or fifth most popular sports dominates other countries and is one of the top teams in the World Cup, that's pretty sad. Especially when all these other countries that's the only sport they actually do.
    But it's the top amateur sport!
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 03:551 edit
    Everyone already knows this from the Olympics. The US has been a dominant force in the Summer Olympics for quite a while now. As of late, the US has been doing fairly decently in the Winter Olympics too.

Based on population, China and India should be dominating the Olympics and all international events. As these two contries become stronger economic powers, I think you will find them flexing their athlete muscle too.

Soccer is definitely a second rate sport here in the US.

But it's the top amateur sport!

I think College football holds that title.

I certainly see how you could have missed this, but the US has pro soccer too. At least I think we do.
  7. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 07:27
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I've got what we call basic cable... 4 sport channels, History, Discovery, Spike, our regular network stations and a few others.

2 kids, car and house payments say I can't spend the extra 50 or so bucks a month for the extended stuff.

P-
    I've got three Danish and three Swedish channels, but who watches flow television these days anyway?

I would guess that you don't have the time to watch it anyway so you might as well save the $50.
  8. 42.4º N / -71.2º W
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 11:34
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Everyone already knows this from the Olympics. The US has been a dominant force in the Summer Olympics for quite a while now. As of late, the US has been doing fairly decently in the Winter Olympics too.

Based on population, China and India should be dominating the Olympics and all international events. As these two contries become stronger economic pow ...[text shortened]... nly see how you could have missed this, but the US has pro soccer too. At least I think we do.
    By 'amateur' I think they might at high school level and below. It's hard to argue with the number of kids every Saturday and Sunday putting on that soccer kit. I imagine USA's good performances in this world cup will only strengthen the sport's foothold over here. I think the coverage on ESPN has been light years ahead of what they've provided in the past, and that can only help too.
  9. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 13:55
    Originally posted by Ullr
    Idiotic and embarrassing post.

Gee I wonder why people hate us?
    could not agree more and would rec you if I had a sub
  10. Standard memberElamef37
    Queenslander
    Tropical North
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 13:59
    Most athletic country. Soccer isn't even in our top THREE of main sports. Basketball, Football, and Baseball being the three most popular.

So when our probably fourth or fifth most popular sports dominates other countries and is one of the top teams in the World Cup, that's pretty sad. Especially when all these other countries that's the only sport they actually do.
    Turn it up!

Somebody tell this bloke, he's dreaming! 😴
  11. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 14:011 edit
    Originally posted by Lundos
    Cricket used to be the most popular sport in America during the 1700s, 1800s and early 1900s (wiki).

It's your history mate.
    not sure about the 1900s.

But, it was George Wrights lifelong ambition to be a famous cricket player like his father. He went on instead to be baseballs first superstar. He and his brother, Harry, help found the first two professional baseball teams. He played baseball well enough to be inducted into the hall of fame in one of the first groups of inductees.
    He played cricket well enough to help throttle 7 different teams on a famous late 1800's baseball tour of england along with cap anson.

later in life, he built america's first public golf course and set up a sportings goods store. one afternoon he gave his salesman and a stock boy a few days off to compete in the US Open Golf Championship in nearby brookline. The rest, as they say, is history.
  12. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 14:04

you are no longer allowed to watch soccer.

please turn on the wrestiling channel.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 20:12
    Originally posted by kyngj
    By 'amateur' I think they might at high school level and below. It's hard to argue with the number of kids every Saturday and Sunday putting on that soccer kit. I imagine USA's good performances in this world cup will only strengthen the sport's foothold over here. I think the coverage on ESPN has been light years ahead of what they've provided in the past, and that can only help too.
    Soccer has been a sport on the rise here in the US for the past 30 years. I have a feeling that 30 years from now it will still be viewed as a sport on the rise.
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 21:35
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Soccer has been a sport on the rise here in the US for the past 30 years. I have a feeling that 30 years from now it will still be viewed as a sport on the rise.
    Soccer will never displace American football in the US.
    Soccer will never displace basketball or baseball.
    Lacrosse and synchronized swimming could be in deep trouble however!!!
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 21:47
    Originally posted by Red Night
    could not agree more and would rec you if I had a sub
    i had considered it anyway.

but you still owe me a pizza 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree