1. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 08:061 edit
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    I think you listen to that idiot Alan Green too much.

Frank Lampard is one of the best players in the world. We need to get more players like him not less.

Yet again Rooney gets away with being an idiot. Lampard runs his socks off, tackles creates and comes closer to scoring than Rooney who yet again does nothing apart from a needless booking a ...[text shortened]... ve Mcclueless got right was that Rooney has not played well for three years in an England shirt.
    Lampard does indeed tackle and run but these don't win matches. But he IS wasteful and greedy to the point where he can be held acountable for England not wnning matches. He inhibits the natural game of England's best player (Gerrard) and therefore quite simply should not be in the side. At Chelsea he is made to look good by all the hard work that is done around him by Makelele and Essien.

He is not one of the best players in the world. It's statements like this that leads England fans to believe that they are capable of winning the big tournaments when it is quite obvious to the rest of us that they're just one of the second tier teams.

Who's Alan Green?
  2. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 09:04
    Originally posted by blade68
    Surely the pinnacle of any professional footballers career is to represent their country?

On the club v country issue which you raise - a player can only become better if he plays with better players at a higher level, therefore benefitting your club on his return from international duty?
    I agree that a player becomes better by playing with better players at a higher level, however most international sides play at an inferior level compared to the country's top teams.

And no I don't see playing international soccer as a pinnacle but as a distraction from the job that footballers are paid for.(But hey, i'm not a footballer so what would I know.)
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 10:34
    What the hell is Israel doing in the Euro Championships anyway? Surely it would be better for 'World Peace' if they took part and competed in a more local variant?
  4. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 18:05
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    What the hell is Israel doing in the Euro Championships anyway? Surely it would be better for 'World Peace' if they took part and competed in a more local variant?
    An excellent point LFC.... since when has Israel been a part of Europe?
    Can we go and play in the next African Nations Cup?
  5. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 18:30
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    Lampard does indeed tackle and run but these don't win matches. But he IS wasteful and greedy to the point where he can be held acountable for England not wnning matches. He inhibits the natural game of England's best player (Gerrard) and therefore quite simply should not be in the side. At Chelsea he is made to look good by all the hard work that is done ...[text shortened]... ious to the rest of us that they're just one of the second tier teams.

Who's Alan Green?
    Gerrard has been England's best player for the past few years precisely because of the work Lampard does for him.

Chelsea have the best squad of midfielders in of any club side in the World. Lampard is the first pick. Ask any Chelsea supporter if they would rather have him or Ballack? So ballack is not world class? Robben, Cole, Wright Philips et al are all on the bench watching Lampard for half the season. Why is this?

As Mourino says, England don't understand Lampard, because they have never had a player who can attack, defend and commit himself for match after match.

Alan Green is an idiot who thinks he is an expert.

England's problems lay elsewhere. All those fools who said everything would be ok if Beckham left are now on Lampard's back.
  6. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 18:54

Alan Green is an idiot who thinks he is an expert.
    No that's Andy Gray.
  7. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 19:141 edit
    Gerrard has been England's best player for the past few years precisely because of the work Lampard does for him.

Chelsea have the best squad of midfielders in of any club side in the World. Lampard is the first pick. Ask any Chelsea supporter if they would rather have him or Ballack? So ballack is not world class? Robben, Cole, Wright Philips et . All those fools who said everything would be ok if Beckham left are now on Lampard's back.
    No. Gerrard is England's best player despite Lampard hindering his game. When they play together Gerrard is either forced out to the wing or has to play more defensively to cover for Lampard playing virtually up front. Gerrard in CM and allowed to roam is probably unrivalled in the world, so why are England not playing him there?

Lampard is first pick at Chelsea at CM because his style suits their system. It does not suit Ballack because he is forced to play a role similar to Gerrard when he and Lampard play together for England. Ballack would love to be given the freedom that Lampard enjoys. Whether he would do a better job than him is debatable as he has not adapted yet to Premiership football.

Robben, Cole, SWP et all are all on the bench watching Lampard for two reasons. Number one - they're wide men not CM's. Number two - Mourinho has (this season) been playing a tight midfield 4 rather than with 2 wide men. This has meant that the number of positions available to Robben, Cole, SWP etc to fill are nil.

If Mourinho really did say what you have written below, then he is more of a one-eyed idiot than I first thought. "England don't understand Lampard, because they have never had a player who can attack, defend and commit himself for match after match" ?? English fans, coaches and players may not understand the art of possession, patience and ball retention but they've never had a problem understanding a committed box to box player! Which BTW Lampard is not unless you mean that he spends time in both boxes over the period of the match. i.e. in one for the first half and the other for the second.

Alan Green sounds much like you then.
  8. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 19:38

Who's Alan Green?
    He is a superb commentator, not afraid to speak his mind.

He may be wrong about Lampard but England players conveyed emotion in the same way Mr Green does the fans would be placated.
  9. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 19:465 edits
  10. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 13:34
    Lampard is out of tonights game. It should free up the game, you never know England might show some pace.
  11. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 14:04
    Originally posted by invigorate
    Lampard is out of tonights game. It should free up the game, you never know England might show some pace.
    I can't see any other result except a comfortable win, maybe 3-0 😵
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 16:461 edit
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    I can't see any other result except a comfortable win, maybe 3-0 😵
    The problem is that this game will be relatively meaningless with respect to the Lampard Question.

I honestly don't think the problem with England is Lampard but the complete inability of the coach to both motivate and promote a tactically dynamic game.

Does anyone else feel that McClaren limits himself to picking which players are on the pitch? One of Lampard's strengths is his tactical play and his ability play a role within a system.

If there's no tactical system to begin with (except formation), Lampard is obviously not the best choice, but that's not the problem, the problem is the absence of such a system.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 16:50
    If Mourinho really did say what you have written below, then he is more of a one-eyed idiot than I first thought. "England don't understand Lampard, because they have never had a player who can attack, defend and commit himself for match after match"
    That's typical Mourinho. He defends his players and at the same time puts them in a position of "us against the rest". A player who wants to prove he's right is automatically motivated, so a part of his job is done.
  14. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 20:43
    Originally posted by Palynka
    That's typical Mourinho. He defends his players and at the same time puts them in a position of "us against the rest". A player who wants to prove he's right is automatically motivated, so a part of his job is done.
    Defending your players and motivating them is fair enough, but Mourinho's talking rubbish! (again)

I see Mr S Gerrard is on the scoresheet twice for England tonight. Guess he's enjoying not having to cover Frank's backside all night 😀
  15. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 20:45
    Gerrard is England's best player despite Lampard hindering his game. When they play together Gerrard is either forced out to the wing or has to play more defensively to cover for Lampard playing virtually up front. Gerrard in CM and allowed to roam is probably unrivalled in the world, so why are England not playing him there?
    Gerrard's playing in CM without Lampard tonight and look what happens.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree