1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 23:21
    Originally posted by John Osmar
    I'd sure love to see the Irish win it all, too, in spite of my earlier, faithless post about their chances vs USC! I don't have any animosity towards the SEC teams, and I hope ND gets to play the best of the bunch. They've had the best teams in the country for 6 years, so they are the benchmark. I'll bet you there is more that one Ohio St. fan glad they d ...[text shortened]... of play, unlike the NFL, and it's always entertaining when one style clashes with another.
    I also did not think they could beat OU, but after they beat up on Sooners I climbed on the bandwagon myself! Saturday's win was an awesome win. I truly believe any SEC team except A&M would have their hands full with Irish!
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 00:58
    Originally posted by John Osmar
    I'd sure love to see the Irish win it all, too, in spite of my earlier, faithless post about their chances vs USC! I don't have any animosity towards the SEC teams, and I hope ND gets to play the best of the bunch. They've had the best teams in the country for 6 years, so they are the benchmark. I'll bet you there is more that one Ohio St. fan glad they d ...[text shortened]... of play, unlike the NFL, and it's always entertaining when one style clashes with another.
    Oregon caught a break with Stanford winning Saturday. They won't get stuck in an unattractive Rose Bowl matchup with a so-so Big Ten 'champion".
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 10:36
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I also did not think they could beat OU, but after they beat up on Sooners I climbed on the bandwagon myself! Saturday's win was an awesome win. I truly believe any SEC team except A&M would have their hands full with Irish!
    So you think A&M matches up better than any other SEC team against ND?

To me generally, it can be hard to predict, The bowls with top cross-conference play can often be quite enlightening. We will see how ND does against Alabama or Georgia.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 12:28
    Originally posted by moon1969
    So you think A&M matches up better than any other SEC team against ND?

To me generally, it can be hard to predict, The bowls with top cross-conference play can often be quite enlightening. We will see how ND does against Alabama or Georgia.
    I do simply because of their electrifying play at QB. That kid Manziel is the real deal. I am also picking him to make history and win the Heisman as freshman.

My gut tells me Georgia, on the upswing, will upset Bama. Georgia has an excellent running game and has improved their QB play tremendously in recent games. A&M provided the blueprint for defeating Bama. Their awesome defense gets gassed with an uptempo attack. If Georgia does not change personnel they will really cause Bama headaches.
  5. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 13:391 edit
    I do simply because of their electrifying play at QB. That kid Manziel is the real deal. I am also picking him to make history and win the Heisman as freshman.

My gut tells me Georgia, on the upswing, will upset Bama. Georgia has an excellent running game and has improved their QB play tremendously in recent games. A&M provided the blueprint for defe ...[text shortened]... h an uptempo attack. If Georgia does not change personnel they will really cause Bama headaches.
    Bama is a superior team in all aspects over Georgia IMO. They will need turnovers and/or great special team play to beat them.

That's the only reason they beat Florida; they had 6 takeaways, in a close game!
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 20:45
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    Bama is a superior team in all aspects over Georgia IMO. They will need turnovers and/or great special team play to beat them.

That's the only reason they beat Florida; they had 6 takeaways, in a close game!
    Without question, but LSU provided A&M the blueprint and now they do to Georgia. It won't be easy, but it is doable! Bama is not as formidable this year as last year. McCarren has been erratic of late. I am sure Georgia will be heavy underdogs, but then so was A&M.
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 20:53
    Without question, but LSU provided A&M the blueprint and now they do to Georgia. It won't be easy, but it is doable! Bama is not as formidable this year as last year. McCarren has been erratic of late. I am sure Georgia will be heavy underdogs, but then so was A&M.
    I heard an interesting fact about McCarren.
    He was a redshirt freshman on a National Championship team his first year at Alabama.
    His sophomore and junior years produced national championships.
    If Alabama wins this year, he does two things that have never been done before.
    He will win 3 national titles in a row, plus he will be a part of 4 national titles during his
    5 year stint at Alabama.

I seriously doubt those records would ever be duplicated, if they come to pass.
    Obviously Georgia and Notre Dame have something to say about it, but that is pretty
    strong!!
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 00:31
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    He was a redshirt freshman on a National Championship team his first year at Alabama.
    He will win 3 national titles in a row, plus he will be a part of 4 national ...[text shortened]... .
    Obviously Georgia and Notre Dame have something to say about it, but that is pretty
    strong!!
    That is quite incredible indeed and may never be surpassed should it come to pass. I think he will be a NFL ready QB when he comes out and has the smarts, strong arm and right amount of mobility to cause trouble. I'd pick him if I were a GM. Kid's a winner, not terribly highly regarded and would be a solid 2nd rounder, therefore cheap to begin with!
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 01:08
    He will win 3 national titles in a row, plus he will be a part of 4 national ...[text shortened]... .
    strong!!
    I don't get it. Alabama can't win three national titles in a row this year (Auburn won two years ago) nor can it win 4 titles in 5 years (Florida won in 2009).
  10. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 04:42
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I don't get it. Alabama can't win three national titles in a row this year (Auburn won two years ago) nor can it win 4 titles in 5 years (Florida won in 2009).
    You are correct. The announcer misspoke.
    he must have meant he could play on three national championship teams in his 5 years.

Florida actually won it in 2008, not 2009. Auburn did win in 2010.
    Alabama won in 2009, 2011 and then the possibility of 2012.

I never bothered to look it up. My bad. I am sure the list would be quite small for 3
    national championships in a career though.
  11. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 05:37
    Interesting Pittsburgh tie to Alabama.

Jimmy Sunseri and I have become acquaintances. Twice a month, Jimmy makes me a meatball sandwich on Saturday mornings in his deli in the Strip. His brother is the defensive coordinator for Alabama. His son is the quarterback at Pitt, and his nephew is a highly touted linebacker at Alabama. So there will be some salve when Alabama crushes Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 19:55
    You are correct. The announcer misspoke.
    he must have meant he could play on three national championship teams in his 5 years.

Florida actually won it in 2008, not 2009. Auburn did win in 2010.
    Alabama won in 2009, 2011 and then the possibility of 2012.

I never bothered to look it up. My bad. I am sure the list would be quite small for 3
    national championships in a career though.
    The Florida game was played in 2009.
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 21:07
    The Florida game was played in 2009.
    Come on, don't make me slap you for being silly.
    ALL of the games are played in the year following the season.
    The game was played in 2009 but was for the 2008 championship.
    Look it up if you like.
    This is the 2012 season, but the game will be played in 2013.

The recap is as follows:

2012 to be determined
    2011 Alabama
    2010 Auburn
    2009 Alabama
    2008 Florida
    2007 LSU
    2006 Florida
    2005 Texas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree