1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 17:45
    Originally posted by quackquack
    The NCAA (who has no problems restricting everything) should only permit head coaches to transfer during certain periods. It trivialized Cinncinnati's year when its coach is no disinterested in his team that he leaves before the bowl game. It also damages the whole bowl system and one of the few games that actually is intersting.
    Why do you say the coach is disinterested?
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 18:35
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Why do you say the coach is disinterested?
    I guess you are right Cinncinnati is no longer his team.

People are always so worried about midmajors getting cheated in bowl selection,
    but here is Kelley saying that the Cinncinnati program means so little that he'd leave pre-bowl game.
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 18:47
    but here is Kelley saying that the Cinncinnati program means so little that he'd leave pre-bowl game.
    When did he say that?
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 19:23
    When did he say that?
    Kelley's actions clearly say how much Cinncinnati means to him. He thinks of it as merely a training program for a "real job". He views it as a minor league gig.
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 19:262 edits
    Kelley's actions clearly say how much Cinncinnati means to him. He thinks of it as merely a training program for a "real job". He views it as a minor league gig.
    Oh, I see. You're full of sh-t and making stuff up. Ok.

While the ND job may be more prestigious than the Bear Cat job, saying he was disinterested and that the program meant nothing to him is plain conjecture. It's the emotional squeal you'd expect from a spurned lover.
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 20:06
    Oh, I see. You're full of sh-t and making stuff up. Ok.

While the ND job may be more prestigious than the Bear Cat job, saying he was disinterested and that the program meant nothing to him is plain conjecture. It's the emotional squeal you'd expect from a spurned lover.
    You are an idiot. I did not make anything up. I do not root for Cinncinnati (or any small school) so I am in no way spurned or even jealous.

I do believe that Kelly's actions say a lot about what he feels is important.
    Kelly treated his job like it is a minor league job (he got the call to the big leagues so you just leave as fast as you) Cinncinnati is playing in their biggest game in a century and the coach cares so little about the institution, his players and the sense of a historical accomplishment that he would rather use it as a stepping stone to a new job. Kelly could tell you cares, but as soon as he got what he thought was a better opportunity he immediately left them. I never said he had any obligation to Cinncinnati, but clearly by leaving Kelly showed how much the old program meant to him.
    I think the NCAA could easily prevent this by not allowing head coaches of teams in bowl games to switch job until after their bowl game.
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 20:172 edits
    You are an idiot. I did not make anything up. I do not root for Cinncinnati (or any small school) so I am in no way spurned or even jealous.

Kelly treated his job like it is a minor league job (he got the call to the big leagues so you just leave as fast as you) Cinncinn ...[text shortened]... by not allowing head coaches of teams in bowl games to switch job until after their bowl game.
    No, you're the idiot. I didn't say you were a Cincy fan merely that your reaction is what you'd expect from one.

"Cinncinnati is playing in their biggest game in a century and the coach cares so little about the institution, his players and the sense of a historical accomplishment that he would rather use it as a stepping stone to a new job."

Historical accomplishment? It's a football game. Don't make me laugh.

I guarantee you that some of the players (the ones with brains) understand the choice the coach has made and may actually play harder for Kelly knowing that it's his last game as the Bear Cat coach. Those players won't even be there in a year or two. Why should he decide on his future based on players that will also leave as soon as they can to get an NFL job? This was a once in a lifetime choice for Kelly. And you expect him to refuse the job of his dreams at the only time he can accept it for the grand achievement of winning one football game that he may lose even if he didn't take the job. You're a fool ad a hyporite for even criticizing the man by guessing how he feels in his heart and assuming his players wouldn't have the brains (unlike you) to understand his decision.

You merely GUESS that the Cincy job meant nothing to Kelly based on the fact that he accepted another one. You even have the temerity to use the word 'clearly'. That's a complete logical disconnect and the type of utter garbage only a presumptuous armchair "expert" like yourself would claim as fact. I bet Coach Kelly will be entirely grateful to the University of Cincinnati for giving him the opportunity to launch his head coaching career. I think if you told him that you thought the institution meant very little to him, he would give you an open hand chop to the esophagus.

The nerve of some fans. Get a grip, dude.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 20:22
    Of course you do, because you have nothing else.

You'd rather hang the man for being disloyal then look at the big picture, the context and the reality of the business.

It's all the same with moronic sports fans everywhere. No common sense.
  9. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 21:07
    Of course you do, because you have nothing else.

You'd rather hang the man for being disloyal then look at the big picture, the context and the reality of the business.

It's all the same with moronic sports fans everywhere. No common sense.
    The only way you could conclude I have nothing else is because I am wasting my time speaking to someone as unimportant as you.

I never hanged the man; I did not even make a value judgment. I simply said his actions reflect his values. Kelly got a job offer and immediately left -- feeling that he owed nothing to the former institution his players, the school, the fans and had no obligation to finish their best season in a century.
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 21:183 edits
    The only way you could conclude I have nothing else is because I am wasting my time speaking to someone as unimportant as you.

I never hanged the man; I did not even make a value judgment. I simply said his actions reflect his values. Kelly got a job offer and immediately left -- feeling that he owed nothing to the former institution his players, the school, the fans and had no obligation to finish their best season in a century.
    OK, nevermind.
  11. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 21:351 edit
    OK, nevermind.
    Kelly is not finishing the season. He forced Cincinnati to have an interim coach for their biggest game. When you leave in the middle of the season right before a teams biggest game ever it is obvious that your personal opportunities means more than the the school, the fans, the players. By defnition thinking only of your self is selfish and Brian Kelly's actions are selfish.
    I used to teach high school. I got a better job. I did not quit that day. I finished the school year -- I had obligations. Ordinary people do that all the time. Brian Kelly did not give notice. He simply left. Kelly's decision might not even be a no brainer. He is going to a program that currently has less talent, more restrictions and more scrutiny. Urban Meyer prefered Florida; Bob Stoops chose to stay at Oklahoma. It definitely is not be the world's greatest job and I hope he is treated with the same class that he showed when leaving Cincinnati.
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 21:371 edit
    Hey fool, Kelly is not finishing the season. He forced Cincinnati to have an interim coach for their biggest game. When you leave in the middle of the season right before a teams biggest game ever it is obvious that your personal opportunities means more than the the school, the fans, the players. By defnition thinking only of your self is selfish and test job and I hope he is treated with the same class that he showed when leaving Cincinnati.
    Quackquack, I do apologize. I thought Kelly was finishing the season. This doesn't change my opinion that he should have taken the job but obviously there is a lot to be desired for leaving them at this point.

Obviously I look a bit foolish now but I can admit when I am (very) wrong.

Sorry!
  13. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 21:541 edit
    Quackquack, I do apologize. I thought Kelly was finishing the season. Obviously, this doesn't change my opinion that he should have taken the job but obviously there is a lot to be desired for leaving them at this point.

Obviously I look a bit foolish now but I can admit when I am (very) wrong.

Sorry!
    In some fairness to your argument and to Kelly, I am sure Notre Dame would not have considered him if he would not left immediately. Also, if Cincinnati really wanted their coaches to finish seasons and felt they were damaged when they left early they could have required Kelly to sign a buyout clause they did not. If you believe what Kelly did is wrong, Notre Dame should take a moral hit too for asking a guy to do something scummy in order to get the ND job.
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 22:55

No, his values have nothing to do with Cincinnati's W-L record. If you are going to be mad at anyone, you should be mad at ND who demanded that he be on the job January 1st if he wanted the job.

You really believe he didn't want to coach the game? In your mind's eye, I guess you feel he should have turned down his dream job and honored his "commitment" to the Cincinnati team. Of course, where do you draw the line on commitment? How about all of those recruits that came there expecting Kelly as their coach for 4 years? Perhaps you figure he should never be allowed to look for another job or even consider another job until he is out of work?

This is a business, as I said before. Get over your fan self and get a grip on this wonderful thing called the real world.
  15. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 22:57
    In some fairness to your argument and to Kelly, I am sure Notre Dame would not have considered him if he would not left immediately. Also, if Cincinnati really wanted their coaches to finish seasons and felt they were damaged when they left early they could have required Kelly to sign a buyout clause they did not. If you believe what Kelly did is wrong, ...[text shortened]... should take a moral hit too for asking a guy to do something scummy in order to get the ND job.
    If you would read my earliest post you would KNOW that there was indeed a one million dollar buyout clause in Kelly's contract with Cincy. Notre Dame will be picking up that tab and Kelly must pay it to Cincy within a year.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree