1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 15:06
    Originally posted by wormwood
    indeed. the 'hit' they get falling down to ground is 99 times out of 100 harder than the light brushing bumb which 'made them' fall. usually they're even holding a part of their body which wasn't even near the hit. I think all such deceits should be heavily penalized even after the game.

in fight sports the guys receive full power kicks on legs without b ...[text shortened]... that. nowadays the germans dive just like your average italian. I miss the old days.
    Please. Give me the old "Italy", the "old" Argentina or the "old" Brazil any time of the day. Klinsmann was the only one worth watching and he was no "Panzer".
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 15:16
    the 'inactive position' rule doesn't count for defenders, does it?
    I added that purely to emphasize that the defender wasn't lying in the goal mouth where it was possible to block a goal effort.

My point was that whether he is on the pitch or not is largely irrelevant given the stated rules.

D
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 15:18
    the 'inactive position' rule doesn't count for defenders, does it?
    No, but if the player is getting treatment off the pitch (and thus requires permission to enter) then he isn't considered for offside reasons. I don't know if there's a label for a player like that, but it's not the same type of 'inactive' as we have for attackers.
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 16:21
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Please. Give me the old "Italy", the "old" Argentina or the "old" Brazil any time of the day. Klinsmann was the only one worth watching and he was no "Panzer".
    well, germany has won euro championships 3x, and italy only once way back in the 60s. they must've done something right.

argentina and brazil are a completely another thing though. 🙂
  5. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 18:43
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Do you think that it would have been the correct decision if he got thumped and landed in the field of play in an inactive position (ie: on the 18 yard box towards the corner flag away from the action) ?

D
    Yes, if he's on the pitch he plays the attacker onside.

Regardless of his medical condition.
  6. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 19:421 edit
    the old german team was great because they never dove. no matter how hard they were hit
    Would that be the old German team with Jurgen Klinsmann - with such a reputation as a diver that he eventually adopted the dive as his goal celebration?

Jurgen's impression of a man taken out by a sniper:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tB7Y33VteME
  7. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 19:44
    well, germany has won euro championships 3x, and italy only once way back in the 60s. they must've done something right.
    I suspect Italy's four world cups help them feel better about that, though.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Jun '08 10:052 edits
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Would that be the old German team with Jurgen Klinsmann - with such a reputation as a diver that he eventually adopted the dive as his goal celebration?

Jurgen's impression of a man taken out by a sniper:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tB7Y33VteME
    Oh, yeah, let's ignore the fact of the studs up tackle and the fact that, in reality, there was contact. 😵

Hilarious.

Edit - And then you shed a tear for Eduardo, as if you didn't endorse violent play as being "fair".
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 Jun '08 18:25
    Originally posted by blade68
    .. as long as the lino is in line with the last defender and has the ball in his peripheral vision, 9 times out of 10 he'll get the decision correct.
    Well, this is the whole problem I'm talking about.
    The linesman was in line with the last defender, but suddenly the guy outside the field is "in play" as well... There's no way you can snap-judge that. You can't be on-par with the ball and keeping track of folk outside the pitch as well.
  10. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 12:01
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Well, this is the whole problem I'm talking about.
    The linesman was in line with the last defender, but suddenly the guy outside the field is "in play" as well... There's no way you can snap-judge that. You can't be on-par with the ball and keeping track of folk outside the pitch as well.
    Yes, that's a fair point... and this situation is a prime example of why the 4th official should be employed to make a judgement after studying a pitch side monitor.
  11. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 14:262 edits
    Oh, yeah, let's ignore the fact of the studs up tackle and the fact that, in reality, there was contact. 😵

Hilarious.

Edit - And then you shed a tear for Eduardo, as if you didn't endorse violent play as being "fair".
    Oh, I agree it was a foul. The reaction was still hilarious though. Particularly the break-dancing afterwards. And I didn't shed a tear for Eduardo - I wanted Germany to win that match. Couldn't have happened to a nicer team 🙂

He also had previous - that's just the only one that's famous enough to be on YouTube.
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 18:01
    And what about this Czech player receiving a yellow card... when he wasn't even playing??? What's that all about?
  13. Cavan, Ireland
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 20:38
    Personally, I think it's a farce to consider a player lying on his back outside of the pitch as active.

I don't think it was a wrong decision simply because the laws are so vague about this that both decisions are justifiable. I do think that the rules should be changed to clarify that this type of situations should be offside. It's clearly not in the spi ...[text shortened]... to have an injured player outside of the pitch to count for the purposes of the offside rule.
    There is no rule saying anything about a defender being active that I've ever seen, if there was a right back wouldn't be considered ACTIVE if the ball was played down the other wing and he played the attacker onside.

The simple fact of he matter is - the lines around the field only indicate where the ball must stay - not the players....

Can anyone tell me why he was outside the field of play - and lying on his back - because he bumped into his own player and fell over - if this happened on the field he'd still be considered active so why wouldn't he if he was lying outside the pitch.

If teh player was injured the referee would have given him permission to be off the field so THEN the goal won't have counted. If he doesn't have the referee's permission who's to say where the player is acting so he won't be considered active. In virtually any other sport players wouldn't act injured - but this is soccer we're discussing so thi has to be taken into consideration as well.

The goal was perfectly legitimate if you read the rules and there is no rule that states otherwise.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree