1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 06:37
    Originally posted by myteamtrulystinks
    Teams like Florida which already have 3 losses just aren't that good this year.
    Never measure a team by the number of losses they have. What a win loss record indicates is consistancy, not ability. Thus far, OSU and Boston College have been the most consistent teams in college football. For example, you could have the talent of a Tiger Woods but never have the consistency to win a major. One day you shoot the lowest score of the day but the next you may blow it.
  2. Donationrichjohnson
    TANSTAAFL
    Walking on sunshine
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 09:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    Never measure a team by the number of losses they have. What a win loss record indicates is consistancy, not ability. Thus far, OSU and Boston College have been the most consistent teams in college football. For example, you could have the talent of a Tiger Woods but never have the consistency to win a major. One day you shoot the lowest score of the day but the next you may blow it.
    Teams don't have abilities, players do. All sports teams are measured by wins and losses, thats what make them sports. A team may have more potential than their record indicates, but potential doesn't count. Success is measured by win/loss records, by definition.

The problem with college football is that there are too many teams, there's too much of a gap in skill level between the good teams and the bad teams, and the best teams rarely play each other. It's not acceptable when multiple teams end up going undefeated, or have excellent records against completely different sets of opponents, since this always leaves doubt as to which of the top teams would win, if they played. A tournament would be better. Top 8 teams, 3 rounds, there would be an undisputed champion in 3 weeks.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 13:11
    Let's not measure a team by wins and losses???? yeah, lets only count the preseason poll. Ignore the actual games. I never even though there was a doubt that the voting should be based on how you played not how good you would be if you felt like it and played hard every week.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 13:261 edit
    Kansas has beaten no one (central michigan SE Lousiana, Toledo and Florida International and Baylor all completely don't count). So to put them ahead of Ohio State is wrong. Arizona State and Ohio State have the tough part of their schedule on the back end. If everyone wins out (and that never happens) it probably won't be an SEC team.
    Kansas' schedule has been much tougher than Ohio State's. Scoff at Central Michigan if you want, but they are in 1st place in the MAC and Kansas beat them 52-7. By way of contrast, Ohio State struggled against sub-.500 Akron and beat Kent State, which is in last place in the MAC (Toledo also has a better record than both). Ohio State's other non-conference wins are against non-Div I Youngstown State and Washington, which is in last place in the PAC-10.

Kansas has won on the road in Colorado (which Oklahoma couldn't do but is still ranked ahead of undefeated Kansas for some bizarre reason) and against Texas A&M (6-3) and Kansas State (which drubbed Texas); those are the only home losses either has suffered. There's simply no comparison between Kansas' acheivements against tough competition and Ohio State's struggles against medicore (at best) teams.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 13:38
    I knew you were learking in the shadows no1. Well, if you want my honest opinion I say your opinion has some merit. For example, teams I dread include LSU, Oregan (perhaps most of all), Florida (even though with 3 losses they are clearly out of the NC picture but despite this I think they are a top 4 team), USC (simply because they are USC and I think once ...[text shortened]... the two Titans meet, it will be a battle to be the winner of the Big Ten title.......as usual.
    I see no reason to believe that Ohio State would "crush" Boston College. Nor do I think it's implausible that BC can finish the season undefeated. They have 4 very winnable games coming up with the toughest one being at Clemson. I think they might make it; I didn't expect them to beat Virginia Tech but they came up with late magic. Nonetheless, I'd rate them 3rd right now.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 13:38
    You cash bash all the big 10 all day. But Ohio state has won all its games including two on the road against teams that were in the top 25 then. A 23-7 win at Purdue and a 37-17 win at Penn State. Beating Colorado does not sem like such a big deal they have 4 losses!!!!! All the voter polls and computer polls recognize this and put Ohio State ahead of Kansas. The one thing you are right about is there is no comparison -- everyone (except you) agrees that Ohio State is better.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 13:441 edit
    You cash bash all the big 10 all day. But Ohio state has won all its games including two on the road against teams that were in the top 25 then. A 23-7 win at Purdue and a 37-17 win at Penn State. Beating Colorado does not sem like such a big deal they have 4 losses!!!!! All the voter polls and computer polls recognize this and put Ohio State ah ...[text shortened]... right about is there is no comparison -- everyone (except you) agrees that Ohio State is better.
    What part about the Big Ten not winning ANY significant out of conference games don't you get? Penn St., Purdue, and every other Big Ten school is overrated. Send Ohio State to Colorado and they probably lose just like Oklahoma but worse. As for the "everybody else thinks X" argument there's an old saying - "Eat s**t; 100 billion flies can't be wrong".

"Everybody" thought Ohio State was the cat's pajamas last year, too. Half the morons thought that the BCS Championship Game should have TWO Big Ten teams. Sanity prevailed and both Ohio State and Michigan got the snot kicked out of them.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 14:152 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I see no reason to believe that Ohio State would "crush" Boston College. Nor do I think it's implausible that BC can finish the season undefeated. They have 4 very winnable games coming up with the toughest one being at Clemson. I think they might make it; I didn't expect them to beat Virginia Tech but they came up with late magic. Nonetheless, I'd rate them 3rd right now.
    Are you then saying that Ohio State is incapable of beating Boston College? For that matter, are you saying that OSU is incapable of beating the apparent runner up for the national championship which is LSU? I assume you have LSU #1, no? To be honest, I say Oregon is better than LSU. What say you?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 14:181 edit
    What part about the Big Ten not winning ANY significant out of conference games don't you get? Penn St., Purdue, and every other Big Ten school is overrated. Send Ohio State to Colorado and they probably lose just like Oklahoma but worse. As for the "everybody else thinks X" argument there's an old saying - "Eat s**t; 100 billion flies can't be wrong".
    ms. Sanity prevailed and both Ohio State and Michigan got the snot kicked out of them.
    All I can say is we shall see. However, to make such a judgement based upon one season is a little faulty I think. The Big Ten has up years and down years as does any other division. I will conceede though that on average the SEC and PAC 10, more so the SEC, is better overall on average. This in no way means that I disrespect the Big Ten to such a degree that I say they cannot win a NC. After all, my Buckeys won in 2002.....or has that been to long ago for your taste?
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 14:28
    Are you then saying that Ohio State is incapable of beating Boston College? For that matter, are you saying that OSU is incapable of beating the apparent runner up for the national championship which is LSU? I assume you have LSU #1, no? To be honest, I say Oregon is better than LSU. What say you?
    Of course LSU isn't no1; they lost a game. If the season ended today, I'd put Arizona State and Kansas in the BCS Championship game.

If Ohio State runs the table and only one of the others (or none of the others) do, I'd put them in the championship game. Them winning such a game isn't impossible, but I think it unlikely.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 14:29
    All I can say is we shall see. However, to make such a judgement based upon one season is a little faulty I think. The Big Ten has up years and down years as does any other division. I will conceede though that on average the SEC and PAC 10, more so the SEC, is better overall on average. This in no way means that I disrespect the Big Ten to such a degree ...[text shortened]... ot win a NC. After all, my Buckeys won in 2002.....or has that been to long ago for your taste?
    2002???? Who cares?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 15:25
    last year only matters when you like about ohio state losing. It never means anything to you when Michigan and Ohio state won road games against th2 #2 teams in the nation. The fact that the polls, the computer and logic don't agree with you and you need to use obscenities to make a point show that you are both rude and not bright.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 15:441 edit
    last year only matters when you like about ohio state losing. It never means anything to you when Michigan and Ohio state won road games against th2 #2 teams in the nation. The fact that the polls, the computer and logic don't agree with you and you need to use obscenities to make a point show that you are both rude and not bright.
    Speaking of not being very bright, it was YOU who brought up last year. Remember:

MTTS: Last year when they won blew out #2 texas and #2 notre dame, both on the road you said that it did not matter.

The polls and the computers said Ohio State was GREAT last year, just like they do this year. This is based purely on OSU playing a miserable out of conference schedule and in a weak conference. Logic might dictate that such a claim be treated with skepticism, since it proved to be so laughably wrong so recently.
  14. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 15:48
    Speaking of not being very bright, it was YOU who brought up last year. Remember:

MTTS: Last year when they won blew out #2 texas and #2 notre dame, both on the road you said that it did not matter.

The polls and the computers said Ohio State was GREAT last year, just like they do this year. This is based purely on OSU playing a miser ...[text shortened]... t such a claim be treated with skepticism, since it proved to be so laughably wrong so recently.
    Why the anti-Big 10 crusade?

Did you get rejected by the admissions department as a youth?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 16:00
    2002???? Who cares?
    I cares. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree