1. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 10:40
    I've had enough of being ripped off...

You get ripped off for tickets.
    You get ripped off to park.
    You get ripped off for a pie and a pint.
    ...and you can't smoke anywhere.

I am officially boycotting all major sports stadia and music venues.

This man has had enough.

Viva La Revolution!
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 14:22
    Originally posted by blade68
    I've had enough of being ripped off...

You get ripped off for tickets.
    You get ripped off to park.
    You get ripped off for a pie and a pint.
    ...and you can't smoke anywhere.

I am officially boycotting all major sports stadia and music venues.

This man has had enough.

Viva La Revolution!
    Yep! I got to that point about 5 years ago. The prices and the restrictions were exponential each season!
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 14:31
    Do you think the venue will miss you? I have gone to two ball games with my son this year (I did purchase any food at the stadium and I went via mass transit so I do not pay for parking) and I no point did I think that it would be a better experience if more people drank and smoked. Fan boycotts are silly -- sports are supposed to be fun -- either go to a game becuase you want to go or simply don't go and do somthing else. But to actually feel that you are going to somehow gather enough people to stop going to games and change policy is probably delusional.
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 18:301 edit
    the law of supply and demand
  5. 6yd box
    Moves
    16 Jul '09 00:37
    so this thread is not about Geoffery then?
  6. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    16 Jul '09 09:26
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Do you think the venue will miss you? I have gone to two ball games with my son this year (I did purchase any food at the stadium and I went via mass transit so I do not pay for parking) and I no point did I think that it would be a better experience if more people drank and smoked. Fan boycotts are silly -- sports are supposed to be fun -- either go to ...[text shortened]... o somehow gather enough people to stop going to games and change policy is probably delusional.
    I wasn't trying to persuade people to do anything, I was merely making my point heard.

What people do is up to them, that's one of the benefits of living in a supposedly free society...

My choice is to boycott, whether stadiums miss me or not is immaterial - I can rest easy in my bed knowing that I'm not getting ripped off every weekend!
  7. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    16 Jul '09 09:27
    Originally posted by spurs73
    so this thread is not about Geoffery then?
    😀😉

The man is a Yorkshire legend...
  8. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 05:51
    😀😉

The man is a Yorkshire legend...
    He has a lot higher opinion of himself than his on field performances can back up.
  9. 6yd box
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 10:03
    Originally posted by Zort Boy
    He has a lot higher opinion of himself than his on field performances can back up.
    of topic i know- but i have to disagree with u. The guy was a legend of english cricket
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Jul '09 23:113 edits
    I used to love going to MLB games. When I was a kid I swore I'd have season tickets as soon as I was old enough.

I hardly go these days- maybe one game a year.

Why?

Too expensive.

Too hard to park.

Too much traffic.

Too much aggravation.

It's just not worth the time, effort and money to go for me. I don't blame the teams. They do and should charge whatever the market will bear. But I can watch the game at home while doing other productive things (like RHP 🙂) on my HDTV rather than spending at least $50 a person in tickets, parking, a little food, etc. and kill at least 6 hours of time.

I'll still go every once in a blue Moon for a day out; but in general, it's just not worth it.
  11. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    20 Jul '09 21:23
    I wasn't trying to persuade people to do anything, I was merely making my point heard.

What people do is up to them, that's one of the benefits of living in a supposedly free society...

My choice is to boycott, whether stadiums miss me or not is immaterial - I can rest easy in my bed knowing that I'm not getting ripped off every weekend!
    But you also deprive yourself of the pleasure of going to a game or a concert. Best approach is to spend the absolute minimum of money.

1. Find the cheapest possible seats that you can bear. Take advantage of all special offers and discounts.
    2. Make sure you know exactly where your seat is and get there before some usher arrives seeking a tip.
    3. Take public transportation, or have someone drop you off at the game -- anything to avoid forking over money for overpriced parking
    4. Eat as much food as possible before entering the stadium so you can avoid buying ANY of the overpriced glop that most stadiums serve.
    5. Do not buy any souvenirs, yearbooks, or programs. It's mostly a lot of junk.

Unless, by some miracle, someone offers you a legitimate deal on any of this stuff that isn't a ripoff.

All of this assumes that the event you're attending is not itself a ripoff 😀
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '09 06:28
    Originally posted by Melanerpes

2. Make sure you know exactly where your seat is and get there before some usher arrives seeking a tip.
    where are you going?
  13. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '09 09:51
    Originally posted by Zort Boy
    Possibly, but that's pretty high. His record was extremely good.
  14. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    22 Jul '09 11:42
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    But you also deprive yourself of the pleasure of going to a game or a concert. Best approach is to spend the absolute minimum of money.

1. Find the cheapest possible seats that you can bear. Take advantage of all special offers and discounts.
    3. ...[text shortened]... 't a ripoff.

All of this assumes that the event you're attending is not itself a ripoff 😀
    Surely if I did all the things you suggest I'd be as miserable as sin!

I'm happy to just not attend, rather than go through your hassle-encumbered system!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree