1. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 19:57
    The Miguel Tejada trade absolutely mystifies me. Ed Wade will be looking for work soon. Granted Tejada is an excellent player, but at age 31, his best days are behind him. Plus at $12 million a year for the next two years, it doesn't make fiscal sense to go after him. But, the Astros backed up the brinks truck and unloaded OF Luke Scott, RHP Matt Albers, LHP Troy Patton, RP Dennis Sarfate (whom they had just acquired), and 3B Mike Constanzo. Constanzo has good pop, as does Scott who became expendable after they acquired Michael Bourne, but as badly as the Astros needed pitching arms, they give up two very good arms in Albers and Sarfate and a great arm in Troy Patton. Patton will be a left handed version of Roy Oswalt in a year or so. It was inexcusable to put him in this deal. The Astros are attempting to assemble an offensive juggernaut, but they don't have enough pitching to get the opposing hitters out. The projected lineup is:

CF Michael Bourne
    2B Kaz Matsui
    RF Hunter Pence
    LF Carlos Lee
    1B Lance Berkman
    SS Miguel Tejada
    3B Ty Wiggington
    C J R Towles

The bench looks fairly solid but the pitching is anemic. After Roy Oswalt, you have the aging Woody Williams, Chris Sampson, Wandy Rodriguez and possibly Brandon Backe. Williams' best days are long behind him and the 3,4 & 5 projected starters have less than 5 years of big league eperience between all of them. Sampson was hurt at the end of last season and Backe missed nearly the entire season recovering from surgery. Wandy Rodriguez is nothing to hang you hat on either. Plus, they will all be pitching to a rookie catcher (unless they turn back to Brad Ausmus because of his skill behind the dish).
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 20:05
    Lets see how good the prospects are. Certainly no prospect is a sure thing Oswalt. Tejada played literally every day until he broke his wrist so when you look at his '07 numbers realized he missed 37 games and 12 million is bargain for Tejada's offensive production especially if he can play shortstop. As for his steriod use.....I have no idea how one should factor that in.
  3. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 20:17
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    The Miguel Tejada trade absolutely mystifies me. Ed Wade will be looking for work soon. Granted Tejada is an excellent player, but at age 31, his best days are behind him. Plus at $12 million a year for the next two years, it doesn't make fiscal sense to go after him. But, the Astros backed up the brinks truck and unloaded OF Luke Scott, RHP Matt Albers ...[text shortened]... a rookie catcher (unless they turn back to Brad Ausmus because of his skill behind the dish).
    I coached against Costanzo, he won't be a major league starter at 3rd base. He's no big deal
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 20:20
    Originally posted by poundlee
    Lets see how good the prospects are. Certainly no prospect is a sure thing Oswalt. Tejada played literally every day until he broke his wrist so when you look at his '07 numbers realized he missed 37 games and 12 million is bargain for Tejada's offensive production especially if he can play shortstop. As for his steriod use.....I have no idea how one should factor that in.
    No, there never are, but then, neither was Oswalt a sure thing. However, a 20 year old lefty throwing high octane gas and with a curve that buckles your knees doesn't come along often. He was the nucleus of this trade. Luke Scott will produce 20HR and 90-100 RBI when given the chance to play everyday. Matt Albers is going to be a good one too. He has one season under his belt and his record would have been much better except the anemic Astro offense couldn't score any runs for him. He also throws in the mid 90's and is very young as well. The fact is, Tejada's offense alone will not win them enough ballgames to get them to the world series if they have no pitching. If you perpetually raid the farm, you are going to die an old team. Patton will be a superstar, mark my words.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 21:09
    I appreciate your thoughts because I am not in the Houston area so I hear about certain guys with a national following but I really don't know how highly regarded the prospects are. Nevertheless, a large number of talented guys never reach their projected (optomistic numbers).

Even given the uncertainty Tejada, is a steriod taking joke on the downside of his career so I am not sure why Houston targeted him as opposed to a different hitter. But at $12 million a year Tejada is a bargain. Even today Pettite signed with the Yankees for 50% more.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 21:18
    I appreciate your thoughts because I am not in the Houston area so I hear about certain guys with a national following but I really don't know how highly regarded the prospects are. Nevertheless, a large number of talented guys never reach their projected (optomistic numbers).

Even given the uncertainty Tejada, is a steriod taking joke on the downside o ...[text shortened]... 2 million a year Tejada is a bargain. Even today Pettite signed with the Yankees for 50% more.
    Tejada was very unhappy in Baltimore last year. I don't really consider him to be a write-off just yet. He did have 150 RBIs just a few years ago. It wouldn't surprise me to see him perform much better in Houston.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 21:24
    No one leaves Baltimore and hits better unless they are going to Colorado. 150 RBIs also may no longer be possible with steriod testing.
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 04:49

Even given the uncertainty Tejada, is a steriod taking joke on the downside o ...[text shortened]... 2 million a year Tejada is a bargain. Even today Pettite signed with the Yankees for 50% more.
    But here is the major rub, even if Tejada is clear of the steroid charges. Because he is a veteran in the middle of a long term contract, Tejada has the right to demand a trade, or ultimately, to force them to release him to free agency after playing only one season for Houston. Now, if Tejada has a monster year, you can bet he will be gone. If he has a crap year, the Astros are stuck with him for another year. Meanwhile, Scott, Albers & Patton will be full time players and only a memory in Houston. Unless Houston is absolutely sold on Tejada and lock him up long term for a figure they probably can't live with, they are going to have squat to show for the deal.

I agree that a large number of prospects never make it due to flame out or injury, but I would bet the ranch on Patton, he is that good. I have followed the kid for the last 6 years and he has dominated at every level he has played at. Sure, he could blow out a shoulder, but so could Tejada. All I am saying is a kid that good, you don't toss away for one or two seasons at best out of an aging hitter, albeit a good one, who doesn't guarantee you a trip to the big show.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 05:33
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    No, there never are, but then, neither was Oswalt a sure thing. However, a 20 year old lefty throwing high octane gas and with a curve that buckles your knees doesn't come along often. He was the nucleus of this trade. Luke Scott will produce 20HR and 90-100 RBI when given the chance to play everyday. Matt Albers is going to be a good one too. He has on ...[text shortened]... raid the farm, you are going to die an old team. Patton will be a superstar, mark my words.
    Agreed 100%. I am so happy that Oswalt is no longer an Astro I can hardly stand it!!! You see, I am a Reds fan and the Reds have a record against him that is something like 1 win and 20 losses. Ha, ha, ha, ha!!!

Edit: I used to refer to him as the assassin.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 14:00
    I'd be pretty shocked if 50-80 baseball players are named in the Mitchell report and Tejada is not one of them.
    I also think even if he couldn't/ didn't opt out, the Astros will not have a great line up anyway and their pitching is certainly not good enough.
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 16:45
    Originally posted by whodey
    Agreed 100%. I am so happy that Oswalt is no longer an Astro I can hardly stand it!!! You see, I am a Reds fan and the Reds have a record against him that is something like 1 win and 20 losses. Ha, ha, ha, ha!!!

Edit: I used to refer to him as the assassin.
    Uh, I hate to disappoint you, but Roy Oswalt is still with the Astros and he will probably continue to dominate Cincy for them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree