1. LA
    Moves
    29 May '07 08:481 edit
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    Souness was at his peak between 81 & 84, and yes he was surrounded by talent. However (even as a Liverpool fan I can say) Lee, Whelan and Johnston were probably not as good individually as Beckham, Scholes and Giggs, so you could say Keane was surrounded by even greater quality. They were both leaders, enforcers and the driving force of their teams, but personally, I think Souness had more to his game going forward.
    You may be right, Keane probably had more quality around him, Beckham, Scholes and Giggs gave Keane width to play the balls into.

The thing that impressed me the most about Keane though was he knew what he was going to do with the ball before he recieved it.
    He played the simple pass to perfection to open up the play.
    Something which is a lost art these days for most players.

Souness, yes from what I can remember was a more positive player, so there is little point trying to say one player is better than the other.

Imagine today though a midfield of Keane and Souness at their peak, they would dominate any combination of Zidane, Davids, Essien etc....

Just goes to show you how strong the English league has been over the years.
  2. Joined
    01 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 May '07 10:21
    Jerzy Dudek Rafael Benitez - Manager
    Alvaro Arbeloa Pako Ayestaran - Assistant Manager
    Steve Finnan Alex Miller - First Team Coach
    Sami Hyypia Gary Ablett - Reserve Team Manager
    Daniel Agger Hughie McAuley - Reserve Team Coach
    John Arne Riise Jose Ochotorena - Goalkeeping Coach
    Harry Kewell Frank McParland - Joint Chief Scout
    Steven Gerrard MBE Eduardo Macia - Joint Chief Scout
    Robbie Fowler Mark Waller - Club Doctor
    Luis Garcia Rob Price - Senior Physiotherapist
    Mark Gonzalez Louise Fawcett - Physiotherapist
    Fabio Aurelio Chris Morgan - Physiotherapist
    Xabi Alonso Victor Salinas - Physiotherapist
    Peter Crouch Antonio Gomez - Fitness Coach
    Jermaine Pennant Paul Small - Masseur
    Craig Bellamy Graham Carter - Kit Manager
    Dirk Kuyt John Wright - Kit Man
    Javier Mascherano Dave McDonough - Technical Analyst
    Momo Sissoko
    Jamie Carragher
    Pepe Reina
    Paul Anderson
    Gabriel Paletta
    Daniele Padelli
    Boudewijn Zenden
    Miki Roque
    Danny Guthrie
    Lee Peltier
    Craig Lindfield
    Stephen Darby
    David Martin
    Nabil El Zhar
    Jack Hobbs
    Emiliano Insua
    -
    Florent Sinama Pongolle
    -
    Jordy Brouwer
    -
    Francisco Manuel Duran
    -
    Ronald Huth
    -
    Ryan Flynn
    -
    David Roberts
    -
    Robbie Threlfall
    -
    Danny O'Donnell
    -
    Scott Carson
    -
    Besian Idrizaj
    -
    Anthony Le Tallec
    -
    James Smith
    -
    Adam Hammill
    -
    Djibril Cisse
    -
    Godwin Antwi
  3. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 May '07 10:56
    smartrrrs are you always this stupid or are you just making a special effort today?
  4. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    29 May '07 10:59
    WBA!!!!

😉
  5. Joined
    01 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 May '07 12:15
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    smartrrrs are you always this stupid or are you just making a special effort today?
    sorry mr angry boy ,that was quite unfair of me,who knows that James Smith might turn out to be half decent one day
  6. LA
    Moves
    30 May '07 06:32
    Originally posted by smartrrrrs
    Jerzy Dudek Rafael Benitez - Manager
    Alvaro Arbeloa Pako Ayestaran - Assistant Manager
    Steve Finnan Alex Miller - First Team Coach
    Sami Hyypia Gary Ablett - Reserve Team Manager
    Daniel Agger Hughie McAuley - Reserve Team Coach
    John Arne Riise Jose Ochotorena - Goalkeeping Coach
    Harry Kewell Frank McParland - ...[text shortened]...
    -
    Anthony Le Tallec
    -
    James Smith
    -
    Adam Hammill
    -
    Djibril Cisse
    -
    Godwin Antwi
    I can see your thinking behind just about every player you mention, except the No 1.

Everyone knows Dudek was rubbish (I mean Forlan put 2 past him), I personally would change 1. Jerzy Dudek for 1. David James, there are even people talking about bringing him back into the England side.
  7. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    30 May '07 11:46
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    I can see your thinking behind just about every player you mention, except the No 1.

Everyone knows Dudek was rubbish (I mean Forlan put 2 past him), I personally would change 1. Jerzy Dudek for 1. David James, there are even people talking about bringing him back into the England side.
    David James is rubbish, but sadly when you are looking at alternative England goalies, he is as good/bad as the rest.
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    30 May '07 12:34
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    David James is rubbish, but sadly when you are looking at alternative England goalies, he is as good/bad as the rest.
    David James isn't rubbish, he's just prone to the very odd total calamity which clouds people's judgements.

For a keeper to break the record for the number of clean sheets with teams like Portsmouth, West Ham, Man City, Aston Villa and Liverpool says a lot about his ability.

D
  9. LA
    Moves
    31 May '07 05:43
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    David James isn't rubbish, he's just prone to the very odd total calamity which clouds people's judgements.

For a keeper to break the record for the number of clean sheets with teams like Portsmouth, West Ham, Man City, Aston Villa and Liverpool says a lot about his ability.

D
    It also says alot about why he is a candidate for the most overrated player in recent years.

The guy is a calamity.
  10. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    31 May '07 13:45
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    It also says alot about why he is a candidate for the most overrated player in recent years.

The guy is a calamity.
    He is another Dracula,

Scared of crosses.

Good shot stopper, but needs very good defenders.

Compare him to Given, Czech, Van der saar and dozen Spainish Brazilian and Italian Goalkeepers and he is second best. Thats why he is playing for Portsmouth.
  11. London
    Moves
    31 May '07 14:00
    Originally posted by Ian68
    David Beckham - A one trick pony, like a spare part for 70+ minutes of most games.
    I wholeheartedly agree. DB is not as great. He has moments, but then he has a lot of negative failed moments too.
  12. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    31 May '07 14:26
    Originally posted by Reaper
    I wholeheartedly agree. DB is not as great. He has moments, but then he has a lot of negative failed moments too.
    I used to run a fantasy football league.

Year after year Beckham would top the points score for midfielders. Nobody came close in terms of assists and goals. Added to that the player was in Fergies own words, the fittest player to wear a Man Utd shirt. He covers a prodigious amount of ground and tracks back all the time.

Their was a reason so many Real Madrid players petitioned Capello for his return.

Beckham has more than one trick. Wenger says the best two passers in the world were Zidane and Beckham. He is one of the best set piece takers in the world, when nearly 50% of goals at the highest level are set pieces, thats a pretty useful trick.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    31 May '07 14:44
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    That's why he'll be always a great keeper for a small team and a woeful keeper for a team fighting for the title. To win a title, regularity is key. Two calamities and he can easily throw away 6 points against smaller teams. That can be determinant at the end of the season, especially nowadays were the margin of error is getting smaller and smaller.
  14. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 09:40
    Originally posted by Reaper
    Doesn't this aply to every player? Good and bad alike?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree