1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Dec '08 02:271 edit
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    No The 'Dallas Cowboys' is an American Football team from Dallas County just outside of the City of Dallas, in a town called Irving Texas. It is now officially being moved to a new city called Arlington, Texas which is still in what is referred to as "The Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex." DFW for short. Are you getting all of this?

The warren Commissio Cowboys.

Do you actually really care about any of this tremendous sports history?
    Thank you for that synopsis and explanation as we have no idea how your country does stuff. I know your are trying to help but now we are really confused and my local friends don't seem to be of much help.

Why would cowboys want to play football rather than chase indians like they do in those great movies you send us? Incidentally do indians come from indiana, and if so is there a football team called the indiana indians? We doubt this, as apparently there is some offence taken by your indiginous peoples to the use of thier names in assosiation with sports teams and mascots.

We also thought football was a UK invented game occaisionally refered to in the US as 'soccer' for some reason. This whole thing is confusing many of us brits as the game you call football seems to be mostly played with the hands rather than the feet, and by guys wearing what appears to be heavy armour.

You may be aware of a rather famous english 'soccer' player called David Beckham who has emigrated to the west coast of the USA, to play for a team called LA Galaxy. David intends to evangelise your country to stop calling "football" "soccer"; apparently he is being paid about 1 billion dollars a day to do this, which we think is a lot. Incidentaly David has a preposterous wife called Victoria who designs clothes which look a little like the armour your guys wear when playing "football". Do not let her interfere with the design of the armour for your "footballers" as she is not very good, and we would hate to feel responsible if any of your "footballers" got hurt.

We have a game called "Rugby" in the UK which is a little like your armoured "football" but without the armour. It was invented in a town called Rugby in England a little while after the USA was invented. There are no cowboys in Rugby and no team called the Rugby Rugbys as far as we are aware. The game is very rough indeed and the only armour worn is a boxing gumshield and some duct-tape around the ears to stop them being ripped off. The players have to be very big and tough and tend to drink a lot of warm beer.

We also have authoritive bodies in the UK who are bad at investigating important stuff; they are known as quangos and run most of the UK whilst the government is raising funds in Russia for it's next general election. We don't have a president but we do have a queen.....although I don't think we have ever tried to shoot her in the head and get a quango to cover it up.

Thanks again for your help
  2. Madison Square Garde
    Moves
    27 Dec '08 02:36
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    Never heard of T.O?
    Go into google and type "Owens Hydrocodone", great talent and role model.

If you want to learn something about the one skillful player in an american football team (the quarterback) type in google "quarterback vick" or "quarterback oj".

As for the Dallas Cowboys, not heard of them either.
    Maybe they use to be the LA football team that decided to move and change thier name.
    Get your head out of the sand Ostrich
  3. LA
    Moves
    27 Dec '08 02:38
    Originally posted by trev33
    you're an idiot.
    Am I?
    Maybe he knows about Terrel Owens now.

Also the 2 most famous quarterbacks outside of America and Americas northern plastic cousins are Vick and OJ.

Maybe that refrigerator guy is another "player" people may know about and aspire to be like.

Thats it, oh no wait, is Madden a football player?
    I've seen the video game in Best Buy.
  4. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    27 Dec '08 04:45
    Am I?
    Maybe he knows about Terrel Owens now.

Also the 2 most famous quarterbacks outside of America and Americas northern plastic cousins are Vick and OJ.

Maybe that refrigerator guy is another "player" people may know about and aspire to be like.

Thats it, oh no wait, is Madden a football player?
    I've seen the video game in Best Buy.
    Yes you are.
  5. LA
    Moves
    27 Dec '08 05:43
    Yes you are.
    Didn't Jesus teach you to show the other cheek, numb nuts.

You defend animals like Owens, Vick and OJ.

What kind of an example oh virtuous one is this for the kids:-
    I like Owens he is NOT the guy the media and the E-gals tries to make him out to be. He just wants to win and when he does he is happy.

Bless him.

So Owens abusing his privelidged position acting like a moron, trash talking the team he plays for, turning his back on the fans and habbitual substance abuse is ok?
    He just has a hard time dealing with defeat I guess.
    What a great example to us all.

What would you expect though from a sport where 90% of the people on the field just want to smash anyone they can get their hands on to the ground.

American football aka Throwball is a Micky Mouse sport.
    Its mindless violence made up of 95% tv adverts and 5% "action".

Also what kind of pathetic "team" sport has a team of about 45 players but the only player that really matters is a single player the quarterback.

Take the number 1 quarterback out of any NFL team and the "team" collapses.

Take Brady out of the Patriots and anyone can beat them.
    Its a boring, violent Micky Mouse advertising franchise dressed up as a sport.
  6. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    27 Dec '08 07:10
    Didn't Jesus teach you to show the other cheek, numb nuts.

You defend animals like Owens, Vick and OJ.

What kind of an example oh virtuous one is this for the kids:-
    I like Owens he is NOT the guy the media and the E-gals tries to make him out to be. He just wants to win and when he does he is happy.

Bless him.

So Owens abusing ...[text shortened]... eat them.
    Its a boring, violent Micky Mouse advertising franchise dressed up as a sport.
    Oh, ouch.. bashing American sports make me cringe! 😲

But I'm afraid it's justified with the way some people have hijacked this thread..
  7. LA
    Moves
    27 Dec '08 07:161 edit
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    Oh, ouch.. bashing American sports make me cringe! 😲

But I'm afraid it's justified with the way some people have hijacked this thread..
    Not so much American sports, mainly American Football/Throwball.

NBA is very entertaning and highly skilled, hockey again is entertaining and skillful.

Personally i'd lump baseball with American Throwball.
    Baseball is probably the dullest sport ever to hit the tv screens.

Live at the stadium its quite good though because of the beer, hotdogs and at times amuzing live anouncers.
  8. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    27 Dec '08 09:00

NBA is very entertaning and highly skilled, hockey again is entertaining and skillful.

Live at the stadium its quite good though because of the beer, hotdogs and at times amuzing live anouncers.
    I didn't mean to put you on such a rant. I just happened in here because I thought it was a thread about a certain gifted player who has been paid well but for the most part has been mistreated as a player. And I was asked some questions so I tried to answer to the best of my ability. No one said Terrell was an angel but he does play the game better than most. I bet there are soccer players that are just as big of a drug addict and trouble maker as Terrell Owens. If they have tallent does it really matter that much if he is on your team? Why does the name American football make Europeans so angry. Seems silly to squabble over a game or a name.

If Americans played their style football by American NFL rules against Rugby players playing by their rules who do you think would win? It's not a matter of which one it this or that. They are different sports played by different rules, that just have some similarities it shouldn't be either or...why not both?

I'll let you have your thread back. Sorry if I ruined it for you.
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    27 Dec '08 09:20

In terms of entertainment, I'd rank them...
    1. Bounceball
    2. Throwball
    3. Stickball

D
  10. LA
    Moves
    27 Dec '08 10:00
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    In terms of entertainment, I'd rank them...
    1. Bounceball
    2. Throwball
    3. Stickball

D
    I think Bounceball is easily number 1.
    I'm actually looking forward to the NBA playoffs its very entertaining. Also there are some real interesting players to follow like Kobe, Nash, Duncan, Iverson and oNeil to name a few.
    I also get to see some Lakers and Clippers games live in a box at the Staples Center, so the free food, booze and cheerleaders makes it even better.

IceStickball i'd put as number 2, its erm, entertaining when they start fighting.

Throwball and Stickball are both very very dull on TV.
    Stickball is ok live, never seen a Throwball game live and don't want to.
  11. LA
    Moves
    27 Dec '08 10:282 edits
    I didn't mean to put you on such a rant. I just happened in here because I thought it was a thread about a certain gifted player who has been paid well but for the most part has been mistreated as a player. And I was asked some questions so I tried to answer to the best of my ability. No one said Terrell was an angel but he does play the game better tha ther or...why not both?

Sure no problem, its a sports forum and things often get heated.

You are right, many of the best and most respected European football (soccer) players have serious problems off field but when they play they have amazing skill and people love to watch them, so the offfield problems are ignored.

My team Manchester United have had players like Eric Cantona, who got banned for 8 months for attacking a fan with a karate kick after a game, he's still a legend and one of our greatest players ever and we all love him.

As for the name American Football making Europeans angry, its a little complicated.

Basically it comes down to 2 or 3 issues.

- Football has been a game we have played for over 150 years, why did America have to take our name and give it to a different sport? We find it especially strange because American Football doesn't even involve the players kicking the ball (except for a kick after a touchdown), so why call it football and steal our name?

- Americans seem to think that American football is the biggest sport in the world.
    The reality is that football (real football, soccer) is the biggest sport in the world by a long way, but Americans refuse to recognize this.

- I think the main issue though is that Americans call themselves world champions (in all thier sports) but all they every do is play teams from other American states.

The rest of the world will only call themselves world champions when we have proved we are the best in our own country and the best against all other countries in the world.

We have competitions each year were the best teams in each country plays each other in European or world knockout competitions, so the winners are truely european or world champions.

People rightly or wrongly have the impression that Americans don't recognize teams outside of America and you tend to call yourselves World Champions when you only play teams in your own country.
    This percieved arrogance annoys lots of international sports fans.
  12. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    27 Dec '08 10:31
    I didn't mean to put you on such a rant. I just happened in here because I thought it was a thread about a certain gifted player who has been paid well but for the most part has been mistreated as a player. And I was asked some questions so I tried to answer to the best of my ability. No one said Terrell was an angel but he does play the game better tha ...[text shortened]... ther or...why not both?

In british/european football drugs are not tolerated and regular tests are carried out to ensure the sport stays drug free. Any drugs that are confiscated from the average man in the street however are collected together and distributed fairly once a month to all the needy american sports players.
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Dec '08 03:42
    I think Bounceball is easily number 1.
    I'm actually looking forward to the NBA playoffs its very entertaining. Also there are some real interesting players to follow like Kobe, Nash, Duncan, Iverson and oNeil to name a few.
    I also get to see some Lakers and Clippers games live in a box at the Staples Center, so the free food, booze and cheerlea ...[text shortened]... y very dull on TV.
    Stickball is ok live, never seen a Throwball game live and don't want to.
    i think rag meant stickball as ice hockey, no sane irishman would class baseball as their favorite american sport.

i personally hate the NBA, its very dull until the playoffs...and even then it doesn't do much for me.

i've went through spells of watching and liking the other 3 more, just before the strike year ice hockey was my favorite, i still remember that series as my favorite stanly cup finals. to bad tampa won though. football and baseball i've watched since i was about 11 but i prefer baseball...the stop and startness of football can get annoying.

you're right about live baseball though, it's awesome if you get a good game and crowd. i've never been to a football game live though, will have to do that next time i'm in the states. hockey is good live...better watching it live than it is on tv i think.
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    28 Dec '08 12:221 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    i think rag meant stickball as ice hockey, no sane irishman would class baseball as their favorite american sport.
    I was indeed referring to the rounders-like stickball. Puckball is a Canadian sport.

D
  15. Joined
    04 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Dec '08 21:57
    Sure no problem, its a sports forum and things often get heated.

You are right, many of the best and most respected European football (soccer) players have serious problems off field but when they play they have amazing skill and people love to watch them, so the offfield problems are ignored.

My team Manchester United have had players like ...[text shortened]... eams in your own country.
    This percieved arrogance annoys lots of international sports fans.
    yes i live in america and i agree with you,
    american football is rubish

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree