1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Jan '11 20:01
    I read the Packers have been installed as 2.5 point favorites in the Super Bowl.

I admit I don't get it.

The Steelers playing in a tougher conference had a better record. They have a better defense. Much more experience including a QB who has won two SBs. And the Packers almost blew it against the Bears' third string QB.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    24 Jan '11 21:03
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I read the Packers have been installed as 2.5 point favorites in the Super Bowl.

I admit I don't get it.

The Steelers playing in a tougher conference had a better record. They have a better defense. Much more experience including a QB who has won two SBs. And the Packers almost blew it against the Bears' third string QB.
    I was rooting for Steelers over Jets, and when they finally won I was in a "Careful what you wish for" state of mind. I sure as heck hope they're right and the Steelers do NOT get another ring.

Then again, I don't want the Cheese Heads getting one either.

NYARG!~
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    24 Jan '11 21:31

I admit I don't get it.

PLain and simple. Hottest team with the tougher road to the SB! I firmly believe they're fair favorites. Also, Vegas must know something about Pouncy we don't. If Pouncy does not go out no way Jets even come close to a comeback!
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    24 Jan '11 21:48

I admit I don't get it.

That's good.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Jan '11 22:08
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    PLain and simple. Hottest team with the tougher road to the SB! I firmly believe they're fair favorites. Also, Vegas must know something about Pouncy we don't. If Pouncy does not go out no way Jets even come close to a comeback!
    Huh?? Beating the Eagles, Falcons and Bears is a "tougher road" than beating the Ravens and Jets?
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    24 Jan '11 22:441 edit
    Huh?? Beating the Eagles, Falcons and Bears is a "tougher road" than beating the Ravens and Jets?
    The Eagles were way tougher than the Ravens were. Scoring D is better for the Packers. Falcons were more highly rated than Ravens. Plus did it all on the road! Further, the Bears D was way tougher to score on than the Jets D. Therein lies the margin of being picked a slight favorite. Again, Pouncy may not be back! PLus look at all the injuries Packers had throughout the year. To make it this far in spite of all tehse injuries gives you an idea of how tough they are!
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Jan '11 22:54
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    The Eagles were way tougher than the Ravens were. Scoring D is better for the Packers. Falcons were more highly rated than Ravens. Plus did it all on the road! Further, the Bears D was way tougher to score on than the Jets D. Therein lies the margin of being picked a slight favorite. Again, Pouncy may not be back! PLus look at all the injuries Packers h ...[text shortened]... ear. To make it this far in spite of all tehse injuries gives you an idea of how tough they are!
    You're ridiculous; I've never seem anyone with such stupid and biased opinions.
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Jan '11 00:27
    You're ridiculous; I've never seem anyone with such stupid and biased opinions.
    Ok Maybe you'll understand this since the other options are beyond your grasp. Vegas picks a slight favortie to even out the betting expecting there will be more Packer followers forking out the money than stingy Steeler fans. By ticking the Steelers fan base, they'll (Vegas) get them to bet as much or more expecting their team to win. Vegas is all about the green. BY making Packers fans believe they're slightly better Vegas rakes in the dough!
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    25 Jan '11 01:46

I admit I don't get it.

It's the Aaron Rodgers bandwagon, which, in spite of his so-so CG, is still overloaded to the point of sagging.

Rodgers is now the fair haired golden boy whom the media thinks can do anything.

Other than that, there's no logical reason the Packers should be favorite.
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Jan '11 04:151 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    It's the Aaron Rodgers bandwagon, which, in spite of his so-so CG, is still overloaded to the point of sagging.

Rodgers is now the fair haired golden boy whom the media thinks can do anything.

Other than that, there's no logical reason the Packers should be favorite.
    It's such a slight favorite I don't know wat everyone is so bent out of shape about. It's not like the Packers are 10 pt faves! I also believe that if Pouncy is indeed out the Steelers will look more like the 2nd half Steelrs than the first half Steelers.

Here's anther reason why are favored:
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke-20110124,0,5163296.column
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    25 Jan '11 17:37
    The Packers did have to play 3 road games; that's probably tougher than 2 home games, even though the Steelers' opponents may have been slightly better.

Also, the Packers did finish the season strong, with the huge wins over the Giants and Bears. The Packers are also healthier than they've been all year while the Steelers haven't had much of an injury problem all year (save for Polamalu).

The Steelers have also has bad halves in each of their playoff games. Not sure they can overcome another bad half.
  12. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    25 Jan '11 18:45

I admit I don't get it.

It's a pretty close call, but I think you are right. I'd take the Steelers in this one.
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    25 Jan '11 18:551 edit

I admit I don't get it.

I was thinking of this last night when I was at the college BB game. The reason the packers are favored is because they are a much better team then the seahawks and cardinal teams that had lost to the steelers in the SB a couple of years ago. Packers got there by skill as the cards and hawks got there by the any given Sunday rule.
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    26 Jan '11 00:01
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I was thinking of this last night when I was at the college BB game. The reason the packers are favored is because they are a much better team then the seahawks and cardinal teams that had lost to the steelers in the SB a couple of years ago. Packers got there by skill as the cards and hawks got there by the any given Sunday rule.
    I think winning three on the road against higher seeds is nothing to scoff at. They have played better and did not have but one bad half and even at that their bad half was not as bad as the SSteelers two bad halves!
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    07 Feb '11 15:05

I admit I don't get it.

Have you solved this big mystery yet?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree