If they have the same refs, Giants.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 04:12
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    If they have the same refs, Giants.
    What call do you wish to officially cry about? I guess the idea that you made a couple of wrong picks is tooooooooooooooooo much for you to deal with (I'm sure tomtom will be along soon for the same sonata).
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 04:20
    I don't see the Pats defense and especially their porous secondary stopping the Giants' wide receivers. That secondary made Joe Flacco look like Peyton Manning. If the Giants can pressure Brady they'll win. If they give Brady time to stand back there and pick them apart, the Pats have a shot.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 04:24
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    What call do you wish to officially cry about? I guess the idea that you made a couple of wrong picks is tooooooooooooooooo much for you to deal with (I'm sure tomtom will be along soon for the same sonata).
    Actually, I already conceded defeat. I didn't make two wrong picks either.

The miscues ruled the day. The way the game was going SF had it wrapped up if they didn't fumble that punt return in regulation and then to actually lose the game with another fumbled punt return. Uncharacteristic.

I guess I didn't account for playoff experience.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 04:27
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Actually, I already conceded defeat. I didn't make two wrong picks either.

The miscues ruled the day. The way the game was going SF had it wrapped up if they didn't fumble that punt return in regulation and then to actually lose the game with another fumbled punt return. Uncharacteristic.

I guess I didn't account for playoff experience.
    Playoff experience is overrated. The muffed punt, especially the one in regulation, was more a product of luck than anything else.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 04:28
    Originally posted by sh76
    Playoff experience is overrated. The muffed punt, especially the one in regulation, was more a product of luck than anything else.
    The muffed punt in regulation was a awful blunder. The one in OT was a forced fumble.
  8. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 17:13
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The muffed punt in regulation was a awful blunder. The one in OT was a forced fumble.
    I would hate to wake up as Kyle Williams today. I wonder if the 9ers will have him on the chopping block in the off season.
  9. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 18:59
    Giants will win again like they did 4 years ago and the score will be the same 17-14.

But i am going for the Pats so that the Gaints won't get their 5th Super Bowl win. 🙁
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Jan '12 07:08
    Say what you want about soccer but you don't see a team being crowned champions after losing 50% of the 'regular' season games.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    24 Jan '12 12:212 edits
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Say what you want about soccer but you don't see a team being crowned champions after losing 50% of the 'regular' season games.
    First of all, that's not about the sport itself; it's about the league and the league's decisions.

Second of all, I'd much rather have a playoff system than a system whereby a team 5 games out of first place with a few weeks to go's season is over. With no playoffs, most teams' fan base knows they can't win a title from very early on. What a dreary prospect.
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Jan '12 13:09
    First of all, that's not about the sport itself; it's about the league and the league's decisions.

Second of all, I'd much rather have a playoff system than a system whereby a team 5 games out of first place with a few weeks to go's season is over. With no playoffs, most teams' fan base knows they can't win a title from very early on. What a dreary prospect.
    Erm if you're 5 games out of a playoff spot with a few weeks remaining your season is over... with added instinctive to lose so you get a better draft pick.

You should have pointed out that the Giants didn't lose 50% of their regular games though... only 44%.

Rams, Vikings Panthers, Colts all teams whose season was over with 5 games to go. Not including the Browns or Dolphins who at 4-7 would've needed minor miracles to reach the playoffs.

The EPL has a system were the best team will win the league, yes that means around 15 teams out of the 20 know they don't have a chance of winning the league but there's 2 cups, European places and relegation. 38 game league... i guarantee you that every team has something to play for with 10 games remaining. With 5 games remaining, won't be far off than the NFL's 4 teams whose season is over.

The playoff system works in football though... for the most part anyway. Drives me mad in baseball though, the first round especially... best of 5 any team can knock off 3 wins against a much better team. 162 regular season games to play a best of 5 crap shoot involving 27% of the league.
  13. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '12 15:27
    Soccer sucks.
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    24 Jan '12 16:022 edits
    Erm if you're 5 games out of a playoff spot with a few weeks remaining your season is over... with added instinctive to lose so you get a better draft pick.

You should have pointed out that the Giants didn't lose 50% of their regular games though... only 44%.

Rams, Vikings Panthers, Colts all teams whose season was over with 5 games to go. Not includin eam. 162 regular season games to play a best of 5 crap shoot involving 27% of the league.
    I didn't say 5 games out of a playoff spot. I said 5 games out of first place. And remember, w/o a playoff system, you have to be looking at the whole league. In the NFL, w/o a playoff system, everyone but the Packers, Pats, Saints, 49ers, Texans and Ravens would have been pretty much done by week 10. Is there a single football fan in the world that would advocate eliminating the playoffs???

I don't think so.

I think the baseball system with 4 playoff teams in each league is perfect because at least it allows a second place 98 win team to make it. They're adding teams, which I think is terrible.

Football also has a pretty good system. The NHL and NBA let too many teams in, cheapening the regular season.
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Jan '12 16:39
    I didn't say 5 games out of a playoff spot. I said 5 games out of first place. And remember, w/o a playoff system, you have to be looking at the whole league. In the NFL, w/o a playoff system, everyone but the Packers, Pats, Saints, 49ers, Texans and Ravens would have been pretty much done by week 10. Is there a single football fan in the world that would advoc ...[text shortened]... s a pretty good system. The NHL and NBA let too many teams in, cheapening the regular season.
    With a playoff system 5 games off the playoffs, is fairer when deciding when a teams season is over. TBH i like the way the playoffs are in football... the only thing i would change is when a lower seeded team wins they take over the other teams seed. Why should San Fran benefit from the Giants beating the best team in the league? I know they lost but still, playing at home in the playoffs is usually a big advantage.

I don't watch the NBA, i hate basketball, agree re the NFL, if i do watch it i'll start just before the playoffs... baseball was the first 'American' sport i started to watch, 162 is a lot of regular season games to play to end up playing a best of 5 to decide your season, i wish they would change that instead of making it worse, i'm not sure if i could take the playoffs seriously if they increased it to, i think it was 12 teams they were planning?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree