1. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 15:54
    Who else, in any sport, any era has won 13 World titles?
  2. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 16:11
    Originally posted by asromacalcio
    As much as i like Darts (i used to live in Frimley Green) i DO NOT consider darts a sport in the slightest (and yes i use to play in a league).
  3. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 16:24
    Originally posted by millerman
    As much as i like Darts (i used to live in Frimley Green) i DO NOT consider darts a sport in the slightest (and yes i use to play in a league).
    But while it is considered so by governing bodies worldwide etc then that is what it is. It takes as much to get to the top in darts as in any sport/game, anybody who's been successful in doing it 13 times, whether they're ten stone or twenty stone, is the best, and I can think of no-one that even comes close.
  4. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 17:17
    I always stuggle to rationalise how shooting can be an Olympic sport, yet darts cannot. Surely darts takes as much skill, if not more.
  5. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 18:35
    But while it is considered so by governing bodies worldwide etc then that is what it is. It takes as much to get to the top in darts as in any sport/game, anybody who's been successful in doing it 13 times, whether they're ten stone or twenty stone, is the best, and I can think of no-one that even comes close.
    No t here too agrue with you just telling you how i see it.

It's mereley a pub game and thats the way i see it.

Phil Taylor is not what i consider a sportsman. He is an average guy who is good at a pub game.
  6. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 19:50

Phil Taylor is not what i consider a sportsman. He is an average guy who is good at a pub game.
    From Chambers':

Sport - an activity, pastime, competition, etc that usually involves a degree of physical exertion, eg football, tennis, squash, swimming, boxing, snooker, etc and which people take part in for exercise and/or pleasure

Regardless of anyone may say about the overall physical fitness of Darts players, the game involves the same physical exertion as, say Snooker, and I'd defy anyone to throw arrows at the board constantly for upwards of an hour and then tell me their arm muscles aren't feeling it.

Darts is, by dictionary definition, a Sport.
  7. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 20:11
    Originally posted by rhb
    From Chambers':

Sport - an activity, pastime, competition, etc that usually involves a degree of physical exertion, eg football, tennis, squash, swimming, boxing, snooker, etc and which people take part in for exercise and/or pleasure

Regardless of anyone may say about the overall physical fitness of Darts players, the game involves the same physica ...[text shortened]... tell me their arm muscles aren't feeling it.

Darts is, by dictionary definition, a Sport.
    I used too play 8 hours a day at the height of my interest in the gane,

I cannot say i used to play 8 hours a day when i was into football.

As i said before, i'm not knocking Darts as i used to love the game and contemplating rejoining a league.

But i cannot say i'm a sportsman if i do rejoin.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 20:44

is snooker a sport?
  9. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 20:58
    Originally posted by trevor33
    is snooker a sport?
    I play snooker quite often,

Again i don't think it's a sport in my eyes. Any game thats associated with dingy dark rooms where alcohol is drunk and cigerettes smoked by the participants cannot be considered a sport.

Frankly if you don't break a sweat during the game, don't call yourslef a sportman/women.............
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '06 03:12
    I play snooker quite often,

Again i don't think it's a sport in my eyes. Any game thats associated with dingy dark rooms where alcohol is drunk and cigerettes smoked by the participants cannot be considered a sport.

Frankly if you don't break a sweat during the game, don't call yourslef a sportman/women.............
    Snooker and Darts are on Sky Sports = case proved.
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '06 03:30
    Steven Hendry has won 36 ranking titles, and 68 professional titles in total - five less than Steve Davis' record of 73. Most of these were with the best in the world entered.
  12. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    24 Dec '06 10:12
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Steven Hendry has won 36 ranking titles, and 68 professional titles in total - five less than Steve Davis' record of 73. Most of these were with the best in the world entered.
    But only(!) 7 of these are World titles.
  13. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '06 15:23
    Originally posted by rhb
    But only(!) 7 of these are World titles.
    Officially maybe.
    But as most of these were with the best players in the world entering they could easily be classed as equal to World Titles.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 20:50
    in my opinion Darts is a sport. I'll explain why i think it's a sport.

You have your pub leagues (which anyone can play in). There is then a super league where more devoted players travel across the county to play (these players are normally stronger as well). Then some players in the Super League can represent their county and travel across the country to play other counties. Then there is the selection of players for their country. For England, the captain is Martin Adams (Phil Taylor isn't in the team because he plays for a different competetion).

Darts is split into 2 huge factions The PDC and the BDO (The BDO is the format of which i'm talking about above). Phil Taylor has dominated the PDC since he joined it in 1992.

There was a darts world cup in Sydney last year.
  15. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 22:13
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Officially maybe.
    But as most of these were with the best players in the world entering they could easily be classed as equal to World Titles.
    World Champs is like the Le Mans of Snooker.

Look at the likes of Peter Ebdon and Graeme Dott as an example of players suited to win the longer matches, and so the World Champs.

The shorter events are much more open as a result and so not equal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree