1. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '21 23:58
    So..... it's been exactly 1 month since anyone has posted in this sports forum.

Let this be a "pot luck" thread. Post anything you'd like about sports and let the discussions begin, with multiple topics welcomed.

To start.....who else thinks that the Americans will dominate over the Canadians in the NHL?

Your topic?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 00:05
    How about baseball ⚾?

My team is the Yankees. Spring training is under way.
  3. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 00:10
    tom brady still rocks
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 00:15
    @lemondrop said
    tom brady still rocks
    You need to get over him.
  5. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 00:24
    @chaney3 said
    You need to get over him.
    every football fan should thank their lucky stars that they were able to see the greatest quarterback the game will ever produce
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 00:38
    @lemondrop said
    every football fan should thank their lucky stars that they were able to see the greatest quarterback the game will ever produce
    Well, I'm sure that Joe Montana, Brett Favre and Peyton Manning (and others), would have something to say about that.

Don't forget about Broadway Joe Namath.
  7. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 01:10
    @chaney3 said
    Well, I'm sure that Joe Montana, Brett Favre and Peyton Manning (and others), would have something to say about that.

all great quarterbacks
    I would put Steve Young ahead of Bret Favre
    but all are a notch below Brady
    and Brady is not done
  8. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 14:38
    @chaney3 said
    How about baseball ⚾?

My team is the Yankees. Spring training is under way.
    I don't know a lot about baseball,I just watch it on ESPN sometimes but it seems to me that it's similar to English and European football -or soccer as you call it.There are a number of teams who have lots of money and can afford the best players/coaches/trainers etc.
    There are occasional exceptions of course like the Oakland A's who have had some success on a small(ish) budget
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 22:24
    @venda said
    I don't know a lot about baseball,I just watch it on ESPN sometimes but it seems to me that it's similar to English and European football -or soccer as you call it.There are a number of teams who have lots of money and can afford the best players/coaches/trainers etc.
    There are occasional exceptions of course like the Oakland A's who have had some success on a small(ish) budget
    I'm not sure what you mean?
    Baseball is not at all similar to soccer.
  10. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 09:17
    @chaney3 said
    I'm not sure what you mean?
    Baseball is not at all similar to soccer.
    I'm talking about the resources the franchises have.
    In English and European soccer the "rich" clubs can afford to employ the best players and staff.The likes of Man utd,Arsenal etc are never going to be relegated because they will be able to "buy" their way out of trouble.
    I am suggesting it's the same in Baseball where the Yankees,Giants,Red Sox for example will have an advantage because they are financially better off than say the A's
  11. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 09:18
    @venda said
    I'm talking about the resources the franchises have.
    In English and European soccer the "rich" clubs can afford to employ the best players and staff.The likes of Man utd,Arsenal etc are never going to be relegated because they will be able to "buy" their way out of trouble.
    I am suggesting it's the same in Baseball where the Yankees,Giants,Red Sox for example will have an advantage because they are financially better off than say the A's
    As faras I understand there is a fixed and small group of baseball clubs who compete in the highest league, so it is quite different to the football (soccer) world.
  12. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 13:39
    @ponderable said
    As faras I understand there is a fixed and small group of baseball clubs who compete in the highest league, so it is quite different to the football (soccer) world.
    There are 30 clubs who play major league baseball and there are a few teams in the 2 leagues who are better off financially than the rest,similar to the English premier league of 20 teams .
    The set up is completely different of course but the financial differences are, I believe similar.
    I have no evidence to support my arguments without research.Maybe others can agree or disagree.
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 16:11
    @chaney3 said

I didn’t see Montana but Farve and Manning? Come on. Brady has more rings than any NFL team, yes, team in history. You can’t top that, his work ethic and ability to get the best out of people around him is what makes him the best ever. He’ll retire leading the league in all stats, you can’t argue with that.
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 16:19
    @venda said
    There are 30 clubs who play major league baseball and there are a few teams in the 2 leagues who are better off financially than the rest,similar to the English premier league of 20 teams .
    The set up is completely different of course but the financial differences are, I believe similar.
    I have no evidence to support my arguments without research.Maybe others can agree or disagree.
    I get what you’re saying and it is true to a certain extend, to my knowledge there’s no salary cap in baseball, just like football, meaning the teams with money can buy success. The thing about baseball though, it’s more a team game and little clubs can and do succeed more so than in football. The Leicester season will go down in history as the biggest shock but the teams with money just couldn’t get it together which opened the door, their points total that year wouldn’t win the league most seasons.

In baseball you have teams like the Mets who have the money but never have a decent team plus the Yankees and Red Sox have lean years so while it’s similar it’s more important in football I think, easier to buy success.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 16:34
    @trev33 said
    I didn’t see Montana but Farve and Manning? Come on. Brady has more rings than any NFL team, yes, team in history. You can’t top that, his work ethic and ability to get the best out of people around him is what makes him the best ever. He’ll retire leading the league in all stats, you can’t argue with that.
    My post was directed at lemondrop, mainly in gest, because he seems to "adore" Tom Brady, and I don't think it's because of football. 😀

But I could be wrong?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree