1. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    02 Jan '08 20:37
    Ok, the Premier League is slowly winning my heart, and most of the joy I receive from it comes from tremendus "sparkly" players of the like of Ces Fabregas, Alonso, Tevez, Torres, etc.

English football (I mean the Premier, because the national team sucks) has more and more players that do not play like robots and kick the ball 40 meters in the air hoping for Crouch to head it, that play with creativity, joy and 'panache'.

Can somebody debate that the Premier is getting better thanks to the Spaniards and other players (and coaches!) from the "warm territories"?
  2. 6yd box
    Moves
    02 Jan '08 22:26
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Ok, the Premier League is slowly winning my heart, and most of the joy I receive from it comes from tremendus "sparkly" players of the like of Ces Fabregas, Alonso, Tevez, Torres, etc.

English football (I mean the Premier, because the national team sucks) has more and more players that do not play like robots and kick the ball 40 meters in the air hoping f ...[text shortened]... tter thanks to the Spaniards and other players (and coaches!) from the "warm territories"?
    why does evernONE think that english football is JUST ABOUT playing the HIGH BALL!

I am not sure how old you are friend, but have you ever seen, HODDLE, CURRIE, STAN BOWLES, KEEGAN, BROOKING, WORTHINGTON GERRARD, LAMPARD, BECKHAM?
  3. 6yd box
    Moves
    02 Jan '08 22:261 edit

English football (I mean the Premier, because the national team sucks) has more and more players that do not play like robots and kick the ball 40 meters in the air hoping f tter thanks to the Spaniards and other players (and coaches!) from the "warm territories"?
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    03 Jan '08 06:29
    Originally posted by spurs73
    why does evernONE think that english football is JUST ABOUT playing the HIGH BALL!

I am not sure how old you are friend, but have you ever seen, HODDLE, CURRIE, STAN BOWLES, KEEGAN, BROOKING, WORTHINGTON GERRARD, LAMPARD, BECKHAM?
    Older than you. Being born in 1973 does not qualify you as an old pops, mate

😉

And yes, it is physical, high ball... luckily, the Premier League is nowadays tremendously good while the English national team sucks. Let's make the math... how can that be? mmmhhh

*scratches chin*

Oh, and by the way, you mentioned tremendously overrated players. Maybe if you could mention players from the Nottingham Forest, Everton or Aston Villa of the 1980s. But you chose the white elephant divas who have produced nothing for England... and that's why we won't see you guys in the EuroCup.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Jan '08 15:01
    Can somebody debate that the Premier is getting better thanks to the Spaniards and other players (and coaches!) from the "warm territories"?
    Why do you single out the Spaniards (and include Tevez in them!)? They haven't won much in the EPL, so far.
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    05 Jan '08 08:41
    Nah, that's why I mentioned L.A. (Latin America) but I get your grief... I'm sorry... the Portuguese players as well 🙂

So, where the Premier would be without all the foreigners?

Would it be as lame as the English national team (now "forced" to be coached by an Italian to see if they can win something)?
  7. LA
    Moves
    05 Jan '08 09:522 edits
    Nah, that's why I mentioned L.A. (Latin America) but I get your grief... I'm sorry... the Portuguese players as well 🙂

So, where the Premier would be without all the foreigners?

Would it be as lame as the English national team (now "forced" to be coached by an Italian to see if they can win something)?
    Who are the famous 4 at Barcelona?
    - Messi, Henry, Eto, Ronaldinhio

Madrid?
    - Van Nistelrooy(United reject), Robinio

Who manages Barcelona: Frank Rijkaard
    Who manages Madrid: Bernd Schuster
    Who manages Spain: Who cares........

Don't see too many Spanish nationals there.

Fortunately/unfortunately you'll find the best of Spain at Anfield, Liverpool:-
    - Torres, Alonso, Benitez

You are right the Premier League has the most diverse and talented players and its only going to get better.
    We also have the new emerging players:-

- Ronaldo, Torres, Rooney, Fabregas, Gerrard, Tevez, Berbatov, Terry, Vidic, Ferdinand, Nani, Essien, Anderson, Babel, Nani, Lampard, Drogba, Cech

We also have the best managers:-
    - Sir Alex Ferguson, Wenger, Benitez and like you said Capello as the England Manager.

The most promising emerging players right now are:-
    - Messi(19), Babel(20), Anderson(19), Fabregas(20), Nani(20)
    Looks to me like the EPL is definately the place to be.
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    05 Jan '08 16:371 edit
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    Who are the famous 4 at Barcelona?
    - Messi, Henry, Eto, Ronaldinhio

Madrid?
    - Van Nistelrooy(United reject), Robinio

Who manages Barcelona: Frank Rijkaard
    Who manages Madrid: Bernd Schuster
    Who manages Spain: Who cares........

Don't see too many Spanish nationals there.

Fortunately/unfortunately you'll find the best of Spain at ...[text shortened]... Anderson(19), Fabregas(20), Nani(20)
    Looks to me like the EPL is definately the place to be.
    What you say only tells me something, mate

££££££££££

My point remains uncontested: The real football talent, nowadays, is native from somewhere else but England.

That's not a good nor a bad thing, it's just life. Like Guatemalans feeling bad for not attending the Winter Olympics. They don't. They just accept that it's not their thing.
  9. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    05 Jan '08 17:37

Can somebody debate that the Premier is getting better thanks to the Spaniards and other players (and coaches!) from the "warm territories"?[/b]
    Some of the foreigners that play in The Prem are technically gifted I agree.
    However, when there's a battle going on they all mysteriously disappear? Ability - yes, Bottle - no.

I also think that the fact that pitches are like bowling greens all season now, helps them immensely.... stick 'em on a parks' pitch in February in a foot of mud and see how great they are then eh?
  10. LA
    Moves
    05 Jan '08 21:26
    What you say only tells me something, mate

[b]££££££££££

My point remains uncontested: The real football talent, nowadays, is native from somewhere else but England.

That's not a good nor a bad thing, it's just life. Like Guatemalans feeling bad for not attending the Winter Olympics. They don't. They just accept that it's not their thing.[/b]
    But what you are saying is not just a problem in England, if anything its worse in Spain, France and Portugal.

The best English players play in England:-
    - Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand, A Cole, Owen, Scholes

The best French players play outside of France, mainly in England and Italy:-
    - Henry, Viera, Makelele, Evra, Gallas, Malouda, Thuram, Ribery, Diarra, Anelka, Trezeguet, Mexes

The best Spanish players play mainly in Spain but they are coming to England, especially the emerging players:-
    - Torres, Alonso, Fabregas, Reina, Pique
    How long will Spanish football be able to keep hold Villa or will he go the way of Torres to Liverpool, Chelsea or even maybe Spurs?

The best Portugese players play in England and elsewhere:-
    - Ronaldo, Nani, Ferrirea, Deco, Maniche, Simao

The best Italian players predominently play in Italy with some in other leagues like:-
    - Cannavaro, Toni

So it seems England has the best of their own country and this is now being heavily added to by the best of Spain, South America, Portugal and France.

Spain is losing its own players and starting to lose a hold on the best South American players, even Ronaldinhio and Villa may be moving abroad.

Spain once dominated the market, spending crazy amounts of money on foreign players like:-
    - Ronaldo, Zidane, Figo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinhio
    This seems to be stopping now though.
    Madrid and Barcelona can crave the real Ronaldo as much as you like but you won't get him for years yet.

The English national side may not be playing well, but I think things will change with a top class manager like Capello.
    Don't tell me Barcelona, Madrid and Milan would not be interested in signing:-
    - Rooney, Terry or Gerrard

Look at the impact an old has been like Beckham made at Madrid and Owen never got a fair chance because the spanish love Raul.

So English football has the best of British and is now being supplimented by the best of Europe.
    The quality of Premier League games is greatly increasing.

But you also still get very competitive games and shock results like today when Oldham beat Everton and Bolton get beat by Sheffield United!!!

You can't beat the English game now for quality and variety.
  11. LA
    Moves
    05 Jan '08 21:38
    Originally posted by blade68
    Some of the foreigners that play in The Prem are technically gifted I agree.
    However, when there's a battle going on they all mysteriously disappear? Ability - yes, Bottle - no.

I also think that the fact that pitches are like bowling greens all season now, helps them immensely.... stick 'em on a parks' pitch in February in a foot of mud and see how great they are then eh?
    That's what is so great about English Premiership and league football.
    We have the best of both worlds.

Fancy Dan players like Alonso, Saha and Kewell who look good when the sun shines but go missing when the pitches are bad and its raining.

But we also have top class foreign players that will still stand out and perform in bad conditions:-
    - Fabregas, Ronaldo, Torres, Berbatov, Tevez, Vidic
    Plenty of Ability and Bottle there.....
  12. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    06 Jan '08 09:24
    Indeed, gentlemen, I agree with you both and, it seems, you agree with me:

The EPL is importing the best talent of the world nowadays.

Uncontested.

That is why it's becoming the best local league in the world.
  13. 6yd box
    Moves
    06 Jan '08 10:06
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    [b]But what you are saying is not just a problem in England, if anything its worse in Spain, France and Portugal.

The best English players play in England:-
    - Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand, A Cole, Owen, Scholes

The best French players play outside of France, mainly in England and Italy:-
    - Henry, Viera, Makelele, Evra, Gallas, ...[text shortened]... st Italian players predominently play in Italy with some in other leagues like:-
    - Cannavaro, Toni
    excellant points ROAB😵
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    06 Jan '08 10:44

That's not a good nor a bad thing, it's just life. Like Guatemalans feeling bad for not attending the Winter Olympics. They don't. They just accept that it's not their thing.
    It seems to me that you are saying that there isn't even 1 talented English player? I don't know many sides in the world which John Terry, Rio Ferdinand or Wayne Rooney wouldn't get into.

Your initial topic for debate is pretty much redundant. Of course the import of quality foreign players, whether from Spain, Latin America, Bulgaria, Australia or Korea is going to improve the league.

It seems you are also trying to imply that the Spainish League is quality without having to rely on importing quality players. Again, this is obviously hogwash. To give an example, Real Madrid is top of the league...
    3 keepers: 1 Spaniard
    In defence, they have an Argentinian, German, Portuguese, Italian and a Brazilian.
    In midfield, they have a couple of Dutch, a couple of Brazilians, a German, a Malian and an Argentinian.
    Up front, they have a Dutch man and an Argentine.

If your point is that only the introduction of foreign players has moved the Premier League on from the long ball game, then again, you're mistaken... Kevin Keegan (for example) has always tried to have his teams play football.

I think a more telling factor in the improvement of the style of the Premier League is the removal of the ban on clubs from taking part in European competitions. Of course, nobody is taking away from the fact that the more top quality players a league has, the better the league is going to be.

D
  15. 6yd box
    Moves
    06 Jan '08 15:55
    seitse has a habit of going off on one, and then losing track of what he is talking about😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree