http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_3117389,00.html

Thoughts?

D
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 15:491 edit
    Well, the PL is a brand by its own right and the fan base ($$$$) goes beyond the borders of the Kingdom.

Barcelona and Madrid do it with frendlies, and the Japanese fans, for example, pour lots of cash into their pockets.

The NFL in the U.S. has toyed with the idea of official games, as well, within Mexican borders, in cities where American football is hot.

I say it's o.k. for the business.

P.S. A local fan may hate the idea, but I would not mind at ALL to watch an official Manchester United - Arsenal in Helsinki, for example.
  3. England
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 16:22
    being a sunderland man im sick of traveling to europe for games
  4. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 16:291 edit
    "The details of how the system would work have yet to be finalised but it would mean each club playing 39 games, with a draw to pick out each side's overseas match."

At first I didn't particularly like the idea. Then I read that - and I like it even less. A league is supposed to be an equal comparison of all teams.
  5. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 16:33
    Originally posted by Seitse
    P.S. A local fan may hate the idea, but I would not mind at ALL to watch an official Manchester United - Arsenal in Helsinki, for example.
    I hate to say it, but Helsinki would be more likely to get Wigan v Bolton. Man Utd v Arsenal would go somewhere with a bigger market.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 16:48
    It's horrible.

I cannot understand the need for an extra match. Is it because some clubs would have played more at home than abroad?

Better do what the NBA does. If this is to go forward, which it still sounds like greed gone mad, teams paired should play their two games in a row (abroad).
  7. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 17:30
    Football's going money mad.

I want a time machine to take me back to the 70's...
  8. Berks.
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 18:04
    Originally posted by blade68
    Football's going money mad.

I want a time machine to take me back to the 70's...
    You could just go and watch Sheffield.
  9. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 18:08
    Originally posted by Peakite
    You could just go and watch Sheffield.
    Ho ho ho.... anyone got a needle and thread?
  10. Berks.
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 18:13
    Originally posted by blade68
    Ho ho ho.... anyone got a needle and thread?
    Seriously though, step four is a pretty decent place to watch a game without it all being about money.

Spent a lot of time watching the Hellenic Premier this season, much better than anything dominated by money.
  11. Standard memberInlandRevenueUK
    Cause I'm the taxman
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 18:271 edit
    If this move goes through, it will confirm what most people have known for a long time. The club chairmen & the Premier League officials are a greedy, self-serving bunch of bast*rds.

If they go through with this, the gap between the clubs and fans will be driven ever wider. My club is called Wolverhampton Wanderers. Not Dubai Wolves, not Dallas Wanderers. If Wolves get into a Premier division where this is the reality, I would have no problems about turning my back on them.

I also watch non league football when I cant get to Wolves and I enjoy the honesty and comitment (Not to mention being able to watch cheap football, stand up whilst doing so and talk to supporters of the opposition.

To quote Bob Dylan
    "I think you will find, when your death takes it's toll, all the money you hvae made will never buy back your soul"

Football sold this many years ago (1992 to be precise)
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 19:06
    Originally posted by InlandRevenueUK
    If this move goes through, it will confirm what most people have known for a long time. The club chairmen & the Premier League officials are a greedy, self-serving bunch of bast*rds.

If they go through with this, the gap between the clubs and fans will be driven ever wider. My club is called Wolverhampton Wanderers. Not Dubai Wolves, not Dallas Wa ...[text shortened]... made will never buy back your soul"

Football sold this many years ago (1992 to be precise)
    Whoever named Wolves, "Wanderers" may have been incredibly foresighted.

D
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 19:09
    Originally posted by mtthw
    "The details of how the system would work have yet to be finalised but it would mean each club playing 39 games, with a draw to pick out each side's overseas match."

At first I didn't particularly like the idea. Then I read that - and I like it even less. A league is supposed to be an equal comparison of all teams.
    I misread that the first time I read the article. I thought the 39th game was to be decided by current League standings.

Imagine a premier league race, like this season, going down to the wire, 2 teams neck and neck, and Arsenal get to play some crappy team like Sunderland, Fulham or Liverpool thrice, while United (knowing our look with draws: last 10 FA cup draws have been against premier league opposition), we'd have to play Chelsea thrice.

Imagine if 1 of the top teams as mentioned above, got drawn to play in a frozen Moscow (greater risk of injury, tougher conditions), while the other got a nice warm sun holiday in SA?

It doesn't make sense!

The Premier League teams should do their overseas marketing tours during pre-season and leave it at that.

D
  14. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 10:15
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    (knowing our look with draws: last 10 FA cup draws have been against premier league opposition)
    I think Man United must use up all their luck in Champions' League draws.
  15. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 16:41
    Originally posted by InlandRevenueUK

Professional sports is a business. Businesses exist to make money.

It makes sense for the NFL, the NBA, the EPL, and others to play games in foreign markets.

Seitse: The NFL played a game in Mexico City several years ago, I think, to a huge crowd.

We get an increasing number of EPL games on various networks here in the states. (For some reason it is often some of the worst teams.)
    If the teams played here, there would be greater demand for TV games, bigger TV revenues for the teams, and more money to spend on foreign players.

Sounds like a win-win to me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree