1. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 23:02
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    2 Championships in 126 years doesn't even rate as mediocrity.
    It's all about now kid, get with the program.
  2. Madison Square Garde
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 23:20
    2 Championships in 126 years doesn't even rate as mediocrity.
    Well this City wallows in mediocrity
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 19:51
    They paid a good amount of money to get Tavares to be their every day leadoff hitter. He stole 68 bases last year and they are counting on using speed this year to energize the offense. Hairston also isn't the CF Tavares is. I think they give up too much replacing Tavares with Hairston.

Tavares dropped a beautiful bunt down yesterday; I hope he's able to use that weapon a lot this year. They need him to get his OBP up.
    I think I am beginning to agree that Tavares should stay in the line up, however, I think that Dickerson should equally be there as well. As of right now, both seem to have the highest averages in the line up with both having averages above .333 or higher.

Today was a good day for the Reds. Harang had a complete game shut out allowing only 3 hits!! 😀

Also, Dickerson reached base 3 times in the game, I might add with one hit. I think if Gonzolas continues to struggle they might consider Harriston at SS. I believe he has played there a bit last year.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 20:01
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think I am beginning to agree that Tavares should stay in the line up, however, I think that Dickerson should equally be there as well. As of right now, both seem to have the highest averages in the line up with both having averages above .333 or higher.

Today was a good day for the Reds. Harang had a complete game shut out allowing only 3 hits!! 😀
    ...[text shortened]... o struggle they might consider Harriston at SS. I believe he has played there a bit last year.
    That is an option. Dickerson did cost us a run; he should have scored on Votto's double. It was obvious the ball wasn't going to be caught, so there was no reason for him to slow up at second.

Dusty showed guts in staying with Harang; most managers would have automatically brought in their closer with a two run lead in the ninth. And Cordero has pitched well. I was getting a little nervous when the tying run was at the plate, but all's well that ends well.

Hitting into the triple play was a bit embarrassing. We really didn't get it done with men on base today. The bats need to start getting busy.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 15:21
    The surging Reds rally to beat the Brewers 7-6 in Milwaukee and have reached the .500 mark for the first time this year. Volquez got knocked around early, but came up big in the 4th inning getting out of a bases loaded, no out jam to preserve a 7-5 lead. I really like how Dusty got him through five so he could get the win; that might be a big confidence booster for him. The bullpen was fantastic; throwing 4 innings of shutout and both Rhodes and Weathers wriggled out of jams. Cordero looked great again in the ninth to notch his second save.

EE got the big blow, blasting a grand slam in the 3rd to highlight a 6 run inning that turned a 5-1 deficit around. Jay Bruce also broke out of his slump with a HR.

The Reds have started their longest road trip of the year; 10 games against division rivals the Brewers, Cubs and Astros. Breaking even would really boost the team's morale; anything more and I'm thinking they might be a contender THIS YEAR.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Apr '09 03:293 edits
    The surging Reds rally to beat the Brewers 7-6 in Milwaukee and have reached the .500 mark for the first time this year. Volquez got knocked around early, but came up big in the 4th inning getting out of a bases loaded, no out jam to preserve a 7-5 lead. I really like how Dusty got him through five so he could get the win; that might be a big confidence ...[text shortened]... y boost the team's morale; anything more and I'm thinking they might be a contender THIS YEAR.
    Correction, the Reds are one game over having beaten the Brew crew yet again!! Arroyo was solid as was the relief pitching. Now if Valquez can straighten up his act and get with the program as Harang and Arroyo seem to have done, watch out!! I have to say, however, that Harang is their Ace as of right now.

One troubling note, however, Dickerson was still noticably absent from the line up. What's a guy have to do hitting well over .300 and with a solid glove to boot? He has proven himself last year, in spring training, and on the field as of this year so lets show a little love for the guy Crusty!!!
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Apr '09 12:15
    Correction, the Reds are one game over having beaten the Brew crew yet again!! Arroyo was solid as was the relief pitching. Now if Valquez can straighten up his act and get with the program as Harang and Arroyo seem to have done, watch out!! I have to say, however, that Harang is their Ace as of right now.

One troubling note, however, Dickerson was stil ...[text shortened]... ing training, and on the field as of this year so lets show a little love for the guy Crusty!!!
    In case you missed it, Hairston hit a two run HR. Dusty knows what he's doing.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Apr '09 13:12
    In case you missed it, Hairston hit a two run HR. Dusty knows what he's doing.
    I never had an issue with Haiston, rather, I only want Dickerson to have more playing time. As I said, perhaps Gonzo will be replaced by Hairston. Either that or see if the kid can catch behind the plate. 😛
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Apr '09 21:12
    I never had an issue with Haiston, rather, I only want Dickerson to have more playing time. As I said, perhaps Gonzo will be replaced by Hairston. Either that or see if the kid can catch behind the plate. 😛
    Hairston has only played 40 games at SS in his entire career (out of over 900 games); to make him the every day SS would certainly be a gamble. He seems to be a very good OF. Gonzo was hired to be the starting SS, though I expect Janish to get more chances to play if Alex continues to not hit (Paul looks to be at least as good as Gonzo in the field but he only hit .188 last year). If neither start hitting, Hairston might have to be moved to SS, but for now I expect that Dusty will stay with the LF platoon.

An important game tonight with Owings making his first start and with the Reds having a chance for a sweep of a road series against a divisional contender. Last year, they were only 30-51 on the road and they have to have substantial improvement in that stat if they are to finish over .500 (or hopefully, contend).
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '09 03:11
    [b]Correction, the Reds are one game over having beaten the Brew crew yet again!! Arroyo was solid as was the relief pitching. Now if Valquez can straighten up his act and get with the program as Harang and Arroyo seem to have done, watch out!! I have to say, however, that Harang is their Ace as of right now.
    Of course, I left out Cueto in my statement. If he continues at the pace in which he only allowed one run tonight and Valquez comes around, really watch out!!!!
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Apr '09 04:12
    Hernandez with a big HR in the 9th gives the Reds a big come from behind 2-1 win in Houston. Gone are the days when Roy Oswalt starting meant an "L" for Cincinnati.
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    18 Apr '09 05:341 edit
    Hernandez with a big HR in the 9th gives the Reds a big come from behind 2-1 win in Houston. Gone are the days when Roy Oswalt starting meant an "L" for Cincinnati.
    Start printing those World Series ducats now!! The Reds beat the bullpen. I am surprised Valverde was even in the game because he has been injured which is why Hawkins closed the night before. But, they didn't beat Oswalt...just like I said.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Apr '09 11:18
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Start printing those World Series ducats now!! The Reds beat the bullpen. I am surprised Valverde was even in the game because he has been injured which is why Hawkins closed the night before. But, they didn't beat Oswalt...just like I said.
    As I pointed out, baseball is a TEAM sport. I'll take the "W". Oswalt could only go 6 (108 pitches) and the Reds only gave up 4 hits. A big win for us.
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    18 Apr '09 14:39
    As I pointed out, baseball is a TEAM sport. I'll take the "W". Oswalt could only go 6 (108 pitches) and the Reds only gave up 4 hits. A big win for us.
    Really? Baseball is a TEAM sport?? Holy cow...Brilliant!! Did you come up with that all by yourself, or did you have help?

Here's another for you...Football is a TEAM sport
    Another...Basketball is a TEAM sport.
    So is Hockey, Soccer, Rugby. There are lots of them.

Your second point is laughable as well. "Oswalt could only go 6 innings". So you must mean if he had gone 9 innings, the Reds would have lost, because they didn't get squat off of him in the 6 innings he did pitch. What a rube!!! You make my case for me without me having to try. You must be one helluva lawyer....for the OPPOSITION!!
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Apr '09 14:53
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Really? Baseball is a TEAM sport?? Holy cow...Brilliant!! Did you come up with that all by yourself, or did you have help?

Here's another for you...Football is a TEAM sport
    Another...Basketball is a TEAM sport.
    So is Hockey, Soccer, Rugby. There are lots of them.

Your second point is laughable as well. "Oswalt could only go 6 innings". So you mu ...[text shortened]... case for me without me having to try. You must be one helluva lawyer....for the OPPOSITION!!
    Are you on a mission to show how little you know about ANY sport? If so, you're succeeding admirably.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree