Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. 17 Jul '08 19:02
    Baseball Digest had an article on Luis Tiant this month. I had no idea he was that good. Since his stats match up admirably with Jim Hunter and Don Drysdale, the point was made that Tiant deserves to be in the HoF as well. I think I agree.
  2. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    17 Jul '08 19:39
    Andre Dawson
  3. 17 Jul '08 20:08
    Pete Rose
  4. 17 Jul '08 20:33
    Joe Carter
  5. 17 Jul '08 21:33
    I think you Candian guys need to look at more than just your Blue Jays.
    Joe Carter was an outfielder with fewer than 400 homeruns, a .259 career batting average and a .306 on base percentage. Twice in his career he was top 5 in the AL in the MVP race. That just isn't good enough to be in the Hall of Fame.
  6. Standard member PocketKings
    Banned from edits
    17 Jul '08 22:13
    Originally posted by darvlay
    [b]Pete Rose[/b]
    Amen
  7. Standard member irontigran
    Rob Scheider is..
    17 Jul '08 23:00
    Originally posted by jofaz
    I think you Candian guys need to look at more than just your Blue Jays.
    Joe Carter was an outfielder with fewer than 400 homeruns, a .259 career batting average and a .306 on base percentage. Twice in his career he was top 5 in the AL in the MVP race. That just isn't good enough to be in the Hall of Fame.
    i think you dont need 400+ homeruns to get in the HOF. thats just lately the game has changed so they upped it, but 300s is still good for an old timer.

    but youre right on the bottom line- .259 sucks, i bet 9/10 players at least have better than that historically or in his time
  8. 18 Jul '08 04:27
    I could vote for Pete Rose, but ONLY if all the bans for moral infractions were lifted, allowing in also: Joe Jackson, Buck Weaver, Eddie Cicotte, Hal Chase, and numerous others whose names I don't know.
  9. 18 Jul '08 04:31
    Originally posted by uzless
    Andre Dawson
    I'd still like to know what a 3A name is, and what 'ring toss' has to do with it?
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Jul '08 11:59
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I could vote for Pete Rose, but ONLY if all the bans for moral infractions were lifted, allowing in also: Joe Jackson, Buck Weaver, Eddie Cicotte, Hal Chase, and numerous others whose names I don't know.
    None of the others (besides Rose) were ever banned from being in the HOF.
  11. 18 Jul '08 15:39
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    None of the others (besides Rose) were ever banned from being in the HOF.
    Really? I didn't know that. I know they were "banned from professional baseball", and just assumed the HoF was included.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Jul '08 15:50
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Really? I didn't know that. I know they were "banned from professional baseball", and just assumed the HoF was included.
    No, the rule that no one on the permanently banned list could be on the ballot for the HOF was passed only after Rose was banned from baseball. In fact, it was passed specifically to exclude him.
  13. Standard member neonpeon41
    The Conductor
    20 Jul '08 05:02
    Originally posted by uzless
    Andre Dawson
    He was third in voting for 2008. He is still 9.1% shy of getting in. His percentage has increased the past couple of years so I see him in by 2011.

    Even though he had great individual accomplishments (8 AS, 8 GG, 4 SS, 1 ROY, 1 MVP, 2-time MVP runner-up) it is too bad he didn't ever get to the WS. But when he did play in the post season, it was pretty poor. He has a .186 BA in 59 AB with 3 RBI's and 0 HR. His career numbers aren't super-awesome, but that's mainly because he had quite a few mediocre years sprinkled among his good ones.

    np
  14. Standard member neonpeon41
    The Conductor
    20 Jul '08 05:03
    For anyone interested, here is a link with a list of who is eligible for the ballot in 2009-2013.

    http://web.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers/index.jsp

    The list is on the right.

    np
  15. Standard member neonpeon41
    The Conductor
    20 Jul '08 05:30
    Class of '09--I think Rickey Henderson is in right away. David Cone will be in but will have to wait. Mark Grace is a long shot.
    Class of '10--Roberto Alomar and Edgar Martinez will have to wait. Fred McGriff is a long shot.
    Class of '11--Jeff Bagwell and Larry Walker will have to wait. Palmeiro is a dead duck. (See McGwire's voting the past few years.)
    Class of '12--Bernie Williams will be inducted in three-five years.
    Class of '13--This one will be interesting because Bonds and Clemens will be eligible. Craig Biggio will wait a while if he's in at all.

    np