1. weedhopper
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 06:18
    Originally posted by neonpeon41
    Class of '09--I think Rickey Henderson is in right away. David Cone will be in but will have to wait. Mark Grace is a long shot.
    Class of '10--Roberto Alomar and Edgar Martinez will have to wait. Fred McGriff is a long shot.
    Class of '11--Jeff Bagwell and Larry Walker will have to wait. Palmeiro is a dead duck. (See McGwire's voting the past few ye ...[text shortened]... ds and Clemens will be eligible. Craig Biggio will wait a while if he's in at all.

np
    I had all but forgotten about Alomar. I hope he NEVER gets in--he spit on that umpire. If anything should get one banned from a sport, it's that.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 07:01
    Originally posted by neonpeon41
    Class of '09--I think Rickey Henderson is in right away. David Cone will be in but will have to wait. Mark Grace is a long shot.
    Class of '10--Roberto Alomar and Edgar Martinez will have to wait. Fred McGriff is a long shot.
    Class of '11--Jeff Bagwell and Larry Walker will have to wait. Palmeiro is a dead duck. (See McGwire's voting the past few ye ...[text shortened]... ds and Clemens will be eligible. Craig Biggio will wait a while if he's in at all.

np
    Henderson's a lock. Craig Biggio, too, 3000 hits gets you in, period.

After that, I think Alomar deserves it; a .300 lifetime hitter with a ton of Gold Gloves and All-Star appearances.

McGriff and Bagwell are iffy, though I think they deserve it. The steroid era nonsense will hurt both though my recollection is that "Crime Dog" has never been linked to any charges.

Walker's got a .313 lifetime batting average, but that's certainly inflated by his years in Colorado. He won't make it. Neither will Mark Grace who's numbers don't jump at you and who played in relative obscurity.

Cone has only 194 wins; he won't make it.

I believe Palmeiro is dead because of his Congressional testimony and later testing positive. In this atmosphere, I don't think Bonds or Clemens will make it either, though things might have cooled down by 2013.
  3. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 16:19
    I'm big on Blyleven getting in. His career numbers are looking more and more impressive. I also favor Jack Morris who was the best pitcher of the 80s.
  4. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 17:43
    What did everyone think of Ozzie Smith being inducted first ballot?
  5. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 20:01
    When I've put together all time great rosters, Ozzie gets a real look as the starter or backup SS>
  6. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 20:16
    Originally posted by badmoon
    When I've put together all time great rosters, Ozzie gets a real look as the starter or backup SS>
    I agree, but I remember some sports writers and analysts who said his offensive numbers weren't good enough to merit being a first ballot guy.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 21:29
    Originally posted by dryhump
    [b]What did everyone think of Ozzie Smith being inducted first ballot?[
    I think it sort of is a joke. There are other great defensive shortstops like Omar Visquel who had better offensive numbers but won't even come close because they did not do backflips.
  8. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 04:10
    Originally posted by leepound
    I think it sort of is a joke. There are other great defensive shortstops like Omar Visquel who had better offensive numbers but won't even come close because they did not do backflips.
    true
  9. weedhopper
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 16:35
    I'm big on Blyleven getting in. His career numbers are looking more and more impressive. I also favor Jack Morris who was the best pitcher of the 80s.
    and Lolich!!
  10. weedhopper
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 16:39
    After Honus Wagner, you may be right there. Of course, I'll have to rethink all my all-time all-star teams when A-Rod/Jeter/Garciaperra/Tejeda and all the other power-hitting ss's retire.
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 16:54
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    After Honus Wagner, you may be right there. Of course, I'll have to rethink all my all-time all-star teams when A-Rod/Jeter/Garciaperra/Tejeda and all the other power-hitting ss's retire.
    And where would Cal Ripken Jr. fit into this?
  12. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 17:12
    WAMCO
  13. weedhopper
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 18:46
    Originally posted by darvlay
    The pioneer--right at the top! 😉
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 00:23
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    None of the others (besides Rose) were ever banned from being in the HOF.
    Joe Jackson was banned by the commisioner from baseball. As such, the rules dictate that he cannot enter the HOF until re-instated to baseball. Same is true with Rose.
  15. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 01:03
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Would you start Ripkin over Ozzie for one big game?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree