1. 6yd box
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 16:52
    I will admit that for a long time I had rated Rooney as one of the best players in the world, many on these forums have shut me down but I always rated him

However the events of the last 12 months has made me have a re-think. May be he is not really a world class player. He has realy gone of the boil and seem to have reached his peek already
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 19:50
    Originally posted by spurs73
    I will admit that for a long time I had rated Rooney as one of the best players in the world, many on these forums have shut me down but I always rated him

However the events of the last 12 months has made me have a re-think. May be he is not really a world class player. He has realy gone of the boil and seem to have reached his peek already
    First off congrats on your Spurs! Heckuva game against ACM! But on to Rooney. Not world class ar all like I've said since the WC last summer. He's a real head case. Needs to see a sports shrink. Still young and may reinvent himself. However, ain't gonna happens if he persists in being a thug!
  3. 6yd box
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 20:53
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    First off congrats on your Spurs! Heckuva game against ACM! But on to Rooney. Not world class ar all like I've said since the WC last summer. He's a real head case. Needs to see a sports shrink. Still young and may reinvent himself. However, ain't gonna happens if he persists in being a thug!
    i just wonder if he wud get away with so much if he was playing for any other team then man U?
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 23:38
    i just wonder if he wud get away with so much if he was playing for any other team then man U?
    I bet not. ManU seems to get refs looking other way all the time. Seems like there's teams like that in all leagues in all sports. But that latest one vs Wigan was really awful.
  5. 6yd box
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 23:52
    I bet not. ManU seems to get refs looking other way all the time. Seems like there's teams like that in all leagues in all sports. But that latest one vs Wigan was really awful.
    I think the fuss that people like Fergison and Wenger make in the media about refs, both before and after games has a affect.

Refs are no diffirent to any other person and they dont really want to look bad in front of 1000s of fans and media coverage and their decision making, I realy believe is affected when they take change of teams like Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool
  6. In your face
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 00:301 edit
    I think the fuss that people like Fergison and Wenger make in the media about refs, both before and after games has a affect.

Refs are no diffirent to any other person and they dont really want to look bad in front of 1000s of fans and media coverage and their decision making, I realy believe is affected when they take change of teams like Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool
    If you feel so disenfranchised with the whole thing, try watching a different sport such as gymnastics or knitting or what have you. Not rocket science is it!?
  7. 6yd box
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 01:15
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    If you feel so disenfranchised with the whole thing, try watching a different sport such as gymnastics or knitting or what have you. Not rocket science is it!?
    if u got nothing better to add- dont say anything mate
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 01:51

Gamesmanship indeed plays a big part. One would hope that refs were truer to their profession. After the king fu kick in WC final didn't get called, the goal they missed in Germany-England and other major gaffes it's any wonder more of them don't get lynched like in the third world. It is disgusting. How about the ghost sendoff of Van Persie in the Barcelona game the other day? Shameful. How can a ref see that and miss the deliberate Rooney elbow? I see better officating in college footie in USA!
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 10:111 edit

Where I'm at exactly. He is good player obviously but I have to laugh at the TV commentators when he gets the ball

"ROOOOOOONAAAAAAYYY"

oh just over - he didn't quite get his foot around it - not looking quite as sharp as when he scored last week (against numptytown rangers)
  10. In your face
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 12:49
    if u got nothing better to add- dont say anything mate
    Well you know, all you ever do is whinge and whine and moan about how unfair everything is and how poor old little spurs are so hard done by and how they are soooooo amazing and would have won every competition in the world several times over, including the world cup if only it wasn't for the refs who always give every single decision Man You's way.

Me 'eart bleeds for ye guv. It really does, honest.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 13:00
    Only if he were playing for Bayern or Real.

It's a pity, too, because when he behaves, he is a good player. Not nearly as good as his fans, the English press, and probably he himself think, but still good enough to earn his place. He just doesn't need this kind of behaviour, unlike, say, Nigel de Jong, who (sarcasm mode on) wouldn't be worth his salary if he didn't take out a dangerous enemy or two every now and then.

Richard
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 13:06
    Gamesmanship indeed plays a big part. One would hope that refs were truer to their profession.
    One would. However, the greatest problem is not the refs themselves. The greatest problem is that when, for once, a ref does his job according to the rules, he does get death threats. The greatest problems are the club-bound fans, who are nutters and not in the least sporting, and the organisations (at just about every level), who are corrupt and care more for the money than for the sport.

Luckily, most players are still in it for the game, and most non-fanatic, non-sectarian audience still recognise a good game when they see it. If it weren't for them not listening to the nutters when they can help it, football would have descended to the level of ice hockey decades ago.

Richard
  13. In your face
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 13:17
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Where I'm at exactly. He is good player obviously but I have to laugh at the TV commentators when he gets the ball

"ROOOOOOONAAAAAAYYY"

oh just over - he didn't quite get his foot around it - not looking quite as sharp as when he scored last week (against numptytown rangers)
    I thought they just had a big red button in the studio with "ROOOOONAAAAAY" written under it, that they press every time he gets the ball.
  14. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 14:22

I was the same , i thought Rooney had everything , strength ,good in the air ,great shot ,could dribble and take on players . It's like somebody has shoved some "Kyptonite "down his shorts the way he has been playing lately !He looks like a pub team player who can't control his temper every time he loses the ball .
    I wonder what Fergie will do with him after spending all that money on him and his wages ? I would stick him on the subs bench and give hima 90% wage cut !!!
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 15:33
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    One would. However, the greatest problem is not the refs themselves. The greatest problem is that when, for once, a ref does his job according to the rules, he does get death threats. The greatest problems are the club-bound fans, who are nutters and not in the least sporting, and the organisations (at just about every level), who are corrupt and ...[text shortened]... y can help it, football would have descended to the level of ice hockey decades ago.

Richard
    I guess you're right. Football is a strange game that way for no other sport seems to ignite such deep passion. Refs do value their sorry hineys like we all do ours. Nutters lend the sport an aura of uniqueness no other sport shares, but also cause the bad press footie is alos known for.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree