Scolari

Standard memberPalynka
Sports 13 Sep '07 07:33
  1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 07:33
    Scolari is an idiot and I wish to clearly say here to all Serbians that might be reading this that he does not represent the attitudes of Portugal or Portuguese.

It was with deep shame that I saw what happened yesterday night. Not only was ordering the players to not give the ball back shown his total lack of fair play, punching Dragutinovic is completely unacceptable.

Good luck for your next games.
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 07:49
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Scolari is an idiot and I wish to clearly say here to all Serbians that might be reading this that he does not represent the attitudes of Portugal or Portuguese.

It was with deep shame that I saw what happened yesterday night. Not only was ordering the players to not give the ball back shown his total lack of fair play, punching Dragutinovic is completely unacceptable.

Good luck for your next games.
    Life's a Vic!

Was it after Serbia put the ball out for a throw in so somebody could get treatment? If so, then the law has been changed and the referee decides when the game should stop instead of the players.

Any clip of what happened?

D
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 07:531 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Life's a Vic!

Was it after Serbia put the ball out for a throw in so somebody could get treatment? If so, then the law has been changed and the referee decides when the game should stop instead of the players.

Any clip of what happened?

D
    Here's one. He didn't really hit him, but still...
    http://www.dailymotion.com/search/Scolari/video/x2ytg7_felipaovsdragutinovicround1mepongod_sport

I don't know if the law has changed or not but ordering the players to not give the ball back is still pathetic.
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 09:05
    Here's one. He didn't really hit him, but still...
    http://www.dailymotion.com/search/Scolari/video/x2ytg7_felipaovsdragutinovicround1mepongod_sport

I don't know if the law has changed or not but ordering the players to not give the ball back is still pathetic.
    It's what we call a knacker punch in Ireland. Swing and run! LOL.

Do you think the ball should be given to the opposition on every throw in then?

D
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 09:13
    Do you think the ball should be given to the opposition on every throw in then?
    Every?
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 09:271 edit
    Every?
    The rules have changed. If the ref thinks a player needs immediate treatment, then he stops the game.

The previous method of allowing players to stop the game whenever they wanted, with a guarantee of being given the ball back was a complete farce, IMHO.

It promoted cheating, time wasting and gamesmanship.

[EDIT] I may be wrong. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/4796269.stm

The Premier League's stance makes perfect sense to me though, and I hope it's more widely adopted.

D
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 09:38
    The rules have changed. If the ref thinks a player needs immediate treatment, then he stops the game.

The previous method of allowing players to stop the game whenever they wanted, with a guarantee of being given the ball back was a complete farce, IMHO.

It promoted cheating, time wasting and gamesmanship.

[EDIT] I may be wrong. http://news.bb ...[text shortened]... er League's stance makes perfect sense to me though, and I hope it's more widely adopted.

D
    Well, the rules haven't changed in UEFA games, as far as I know. so I still give the Serbian players the benefit of the doubt and wish they had been given the ball back.
  8. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 10:02
    Well, the rules haven't changed in UEFA games, as far as I know. so I still give the Serbian players the benefit of the doubt and wish they had been given the ball back.
    It was never in the rules that the ball should be given back, it was just accepted convention. The Premier League asked teams to stop putting the ball out of play as the practice was open to abuse, and the referee can stop play whenever he wants in case of serious injury.

It's an approach that makes sense. But until it's adopted more widely I'd expect teams to stick to convention and give the ball back.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 12:28
    Originally posted by mtthw
    It was never in the rules that the ball should be given back, it was just accepted convention. The Premier League asked teams to stop putting the ball out of play as the practice was open to abuse, and the referee can stop play whenever he wants in case of serious injury.

It's an approach that makes sense. But until it's adopted more widely I'd expect teams to stick to convention and give the ball back.
    I (and think Rag) was using rules in a broad sense. In UEFA there were no specific statements so nothing has really changed. In that sense, I think that the traditional convention on what consists fair-play should have been upholded.

I attacked Van Basten when he did the same against Portugal and I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't denounce Scolari, as well. I think it's particularly serious when ordered by a coach/manager.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree