1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Sep '09 01:29
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    One of the problems is that foot-faults are almost NEVER called. It seems like the sort of the thing that everyone would do a couple of times per game - especially when you're trying to be a little extra aggressive in the heat of battle. But you can go through entire tournaments without ever seeing one called.

So here it is, on one of the most crucial ...[text shortened]... ying to make excuses and makes an official apology for her behavior. It was embarassing.
    You got it all wrong. The foot fault did not result in the point going to 15-40. Serena lost the point on the first tirade. The second tirade got her the match point loss. She is a thug. I'm sure she firghtened the lineswoman. Bad calls happen to everyone. She's apoor sport and a terrible example. She excused herself by saying she modelled herself after McEnroe. She should be suspended!!!!
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    15 Sep '09 06:12
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Well, it is not really that big of a sombrero, and it is stuffed with alot of old socks!! Arriba!!!!
    And it goes arriba and arriba, more and more, the more you rub it! 😵
  3. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    15 Sep '09 14:42
    Originally posted by Seitse
    She should be taken to court for the threat.

I dislike arrogant athletes.
    Yes. If they gain from their sport they should serve it too, in every way possible. We can forgive minor or occasional lapses, but it can go too far. Federer also lost his rag last night, but politely. No threats or swearing (I understand).
  4. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    15 Sep '09 14:43
    A true champion also knows how to lose. You wouldn't catch Valentino Rossi effing and blinding at the officials because he was having an off day.
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    15 Sep '09 19:25
    Originally posted by asromacalcio
    A true champion also knows how to lose. You wouldn't catch Valentino Rossi effing and blinding at the officials because he was having an off day.
    LMAO!!! A true champion wins!! You show me a person who knows how to lose with grace and dignity and I will show you a loser.

Federer is probably as great a gentleman of the game as there is. While he doesn't show it on the court, ala say John McEnroe, he boils bigtime at losing. It eats at his gut. That is because as a champion he expects to win everytime he sets foot on the court.
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Sep '09 19:32
    LMAO!!! A true champion wins!! You show me a person who knows how to lose with grace and dignity and I will show you a loser.

Federer is probably as great a gentleman of the game as there is. While he doesn't show it on the court, ala say John McEnroe, he boils bigtime at losing. It eats at his gut. That is because as a champion he expects to win everytime he sets foot on the court.
    Past sucess/ expectation of winning does not justify poor behavior. My undesrtanding is that she told a line judge that she'd like to shove the ball... That's simply outrageous behavior and the behavior of a loser. The fact that McEnroe was also classless does not justify poor behavior.
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    15 Sep '09 19:47
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Past sucess/ expectation of winning does not justify poor behavior. My undesrtanding is that she told a line judge that she'd like to shove the ball... That's simply outrageous behavior and the behavior of a loser. The fact that McEnroe was also classless does not justify poor behavior.
    I didn't say the success justified the behavior. However, in the heat of the moment, can cause people to say or do things they normally wouldn't. I think Serena was plenty pissed off at losing to Cjlisters and there had been a few questionable calls. I think she blew her stack because she knew she was done. I really doubt she would have tried to rectally insert the tennis ball up the linesman's bum, but it would have made for some interesting viewing if she had. I have seen McEnroe, Connors & Nastaie berate officials FAR worse that what happened with Serena. Hell, Nastasie droped his shorts and mooned then on the court!!

If class was a prerequisite for playing professional sports, there would be a helluva lot or pro athletes out of work. Half of the NBA, NFL, NHL, 10% of MLB (basbeball players are the most advanced athletes and the most revered) would be gone!! Soccer (or European football...whatever you call it) would probably be disbanded altogether and most of the fans would not be allowed into the stadiums due to lack of class.
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 01:47
    I didn't say the success justified the behavior. However, in the heat of the moment, can cause people to say or do things they normally wouldn't. I think Serena was plenty pissed off at losing to Cjlisters and there had been a few questionable calls. I think she blew her stack because she knew she was done. I really doubt she would have tried to rectall ...[text shortened]... altogether and most of the fans would not be allowed into the stadiums due to lack of class.
    Same focus Serena got should be applied evenly to boorish behavior of all kinds by all people, not just athletes. Kanye West comes to mind. How about whatever his name is from Two and a Half Men. Rosie O'Donnel. The list is seemingly endless. Perhaps we need to begin shunning these peope like it was done in the past. But back to Serena. Her half assed apologies did not help, making her full aapology seem fake.
  9. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 06:22
    in the heat of the moment, can cause people to say or do things they normally wouldn't
    Do you mean, like, "oh what the heck, stay the night" ?
  10. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 01:17
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Any thoughts on Serena's outrage at the US Open?
    A lot of smoke about nothing, athletes get upset sometimes. Time to move on...😏}
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 19:42
    Originally posted by bill718
    A lot of smoke about nothing, athletes get upset sometimes. Time to move on...😏}
    Mr. Bill "Oh Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!"
    😉😀
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    26 Sep '09 22:34
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Gee, wasn't she supposed to be a J's Witness?!?
    "IF" she is an active Witness, believe me the Elders in her congregation will be having a long talk with her....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree