1. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Jan '09 19:22
    Originally posted by Palynka
    So why doesn't this apply to Robbo?
    Because Robbo's writings are satirical and meant for humour.

Poll is trying to be taken seriously. He retired from reffing football to try to be a celebrity.

There's a big difference.

D
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Jan '09 19:32
    Originally posted by Ragnorak

Poll is trying to be taken seriously. He retired from reffing football to try to be a celebrity.

There's a big difference.

D
    The point is that both sides of the issue can be presented in a way that is consistent with getting as many readers as possible.
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Jan '09 20:34
    The point is that both sides of the issue can be presented in a way that is consistent with getting as many readers as possible.
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    "Mr Poll is trying to establish himself as a respected brand that can earn a very nice living by commenting on contraversial issues week in, week out.

What do you think will earn Mr Poll the biggest pay check and a nice back page headline?"

Of course reader numbers are important to Robbo, but in my opinion, his readership will go up according to how funny his blog posts are, not how controversial they are.

However, what doesn't apply to Robbo (your original question to ROAB) are the bolded bits above. I very much doubt that Robbo's claim of having seen Ferguson levitating walls will make it to the back page of even the Daily Sport.

D
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Jan '09 20:38
    Fair enough. Of course, one could make the argument that going into last page drama and controversy is hardly going to make Mr. Poll respectable. So I guess it depends on what he's gunning for.
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Jan '09 20:53
    Fair enough. Of course, one could make the argument that going into last page drama and controversy is hardly going to make Mr. Poll respectable. So I guess it depends on what he's gunning for.
    Pulitzer prize?

He dreams of one day becoming the Andy Gray for football ref punditry?

Who can say what goes on in his mind?

D
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Jan '09 20:571 edit
    Who can say what goes on in his mind?
    Touché. That's what I was going for, although maybe Robbo wasn't the best pick.

There are so many piss-poor commentators (especially players, so why not a ref?) that make it by pretending to be knowledgeable that I'm not sure Poll is going for drama or is really just another poor commentator.
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Jan '09 23:01
    Touché. That's what I was going for, although maybe Robbo wasn't the best pick.

There are so many piss-poor commentators (especially players, so why not a ref?) that make it by pretending to be knowledgeable that I'm not sure Poll is going for drama or is really just another poor commentator.
    Aye, when I hear guys that say something is off side based only on their uninformed interpretation of the rule, I go nuts.

If you're going to go on TV and talk to me about the game, then the least you can do is know the current rules.

I'd be surprised if some of these bozos could explain the offside rule in even it's most rudimentary form.

D
  8. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '09 10:27
    Really? His writings are about as funny as Jo Brand's gags. As for satirical, he like most football fans, wouldn't even know the meaning of the word.
  9. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '09 10:37

Also, your source, who's trying to sell books, is about as unbiased as Shamon Perez when commenting on Yasser Arafat.

It's been widely reported that Poll and Slur Alex got on very well. Well enough for him to phone Poll and offer his support after the 3 yellow cards for one player at the World Cup gaffe.

However, if you want to make something up to suit your view then go ahead. You talk enough bull anyway.
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    18 Jan '09 11:59
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    It's been widely reported that Poll and Slur Alex got on very well. Well enough for him to phone Poll and offer his support after the 3 yellow cards for one player at the World Cup gaffe.

However, if you want to make something up to suit your view then go ahead. You talk enough bull anyway.
    You sound worried.

D
  11. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '09 12:41
    You sound worried.

D
    Really? Why? Because I pointed out that you made something up? Nice try though.
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '09 12:51
    Really? Why? Because I pointed out that you made something up? Nice try though.
    hey you guys had a good run but it's time to move over and let the real title contender step up.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '09 12:53
    Originally posted by trev33
    hey you guys had a good run but it's time to move over and let the real title contender step up.
    Villa?
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '07
    Moves
    19 Jan '09 01:53
    Slur Alex
    You should show more respect for the best manager in the game by a mile!
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '07
    Moves
    19 Jan '09 02:02
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Villa?
    Why are you giving up on Chelsea winning the league already 😀😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree