1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    3298
    18 Jan '10 21:12
    I was sorry to see Maria ousted at the Open. I think she tries to hit the ball too hard, and in doing so, hits too many unforced errors. Nevertheless...Maria is a total beauty queen, and a joy to watch!!😛
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    2996
    19 Jan '10 00:19
    Originally posted by bill718
    I was sorry to see Maria ousted at the Open. I think she tries to hit the ball too hard, and in doing so, hits too many unforced errors. Nevertheless...Maria is a total beauty queen, and a joy to watch!!😛
    There's a good reason she was seeded #14. Beauty alone never got a player anywhere. There are prettier and better players out there, including the perky Dane from the US Open final. In fact, it is doubtful Sharapova could beat any top ten player right now.
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    5542
    19 Jan '10 15:531 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    There's a good reason she was seeded #14. Beauty alone never got a player anywhere. There are prettier and better players out there, including the perky Dane from the US Open final. In fact, it is doubtful Sharapova could beat any top ten player right now.
    Sharapova is capable of being one of the best, but she's been out of sync for some time now, and I don't sense that her game has developed much over the years. One reason I've liked her is that she wasn't like Anna Kournikova - she showed that you can be both one of the best-looking AND best-playing women in tennis.

    I've always believed the top two are the "Belgian Sisters" - Clijsters and Henne - if they're healthy (big if). I think both of them experienced "burnout" and needed some time off. I'm glad they are both back.
  4. lazy boy derivative
    Joined
    11 Mar '06
    Moves
    71817
    19 Jan '10 16:04
    Originally posted by bill718
    I was sorry to see Maria ousted at the Open. I think she tries to hit the ball too hard, and in doing so, hits too many unforced errors. Nevertheless...Maria is a total beauty queen, and a joy to watch!!😛
    She lost to another cutie so it's all right.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10260
    19 Jan '10 16:22
    Originally posted by bill718
    I was sorry to see Maria ousted at the Open. I think she tries to hit the ball too hard, and in doing so, hits too many unforced errors. Nevertheless...Maria is a total beauty queen, and a joy to watch!!😛
    injuries, off court personal things, take your pick. it's a shame for tennis she hasn't been at her best for a couple of years now. plus the woman's game is strong this year.
  6. Standard membermonster truck
    Walleye Guy
    Gone fishin'
    Joined
    22 Mar '05
    Moves
    15170
    20 Jan '10 17:271 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    injuries, off court personal things, take your pick. it's a shame for tennis she hasn't been at her best for a couple of years now. plus the woman's game is strong this year.
    You could add 'serving issues' to the list as well.
    Aside from the Shriek and a bit of stalling, I like her attitude both on and off the court. A wonderfull blend of grit and sincerity.

    The WTA does look a bit stronger this year with the return of the Belgians.
    Perhaps this will motivate the Willaims Sistas to set aside their off-court activities for a bit and focus on tennis.

    2 other rising stars from the U.S. are Melanie Oudin and Shenay Perry. Tho' Perry got bumped Ana in the 1st round, I think she has an exciting game and great athleticism. Should be fun to watch this year.

    btw Blake just won a killer 2nd set TB against DePot. What a shotmaker!
  7. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Joined
    02 Sep '05
    Moves
    9122
    21 Jan '10 22:34
    Originally posted by bill718
    I was sorry to see Maria ousted at the Open. I think she tries to hit the ball too hard, and in doing so, hits too many unforced errors. Nevertheless...Maria is a total beauty queen, and a joy to watch!!😛
    Man i can't stand watching (or more to the fact, listening) to Sharapova play. What happened to women’s tennis? The men have more grace and finesse on court than the women do these days.
  8. Standard membermonster truck
    Walleye Guy
    Gone fishin'
    Joined
    22 Mar '05
    Moves
    15170
    22 Jan '10 00:16
    Originally posted by Esoteric
    Man i can't stand watching (or more to the fact, listening) to Sharapova play. What happened to women’s tennis? The men have more grace and finesse on court than the women do these days.
    I will admit to using the mute button when Shriekapova plays.😳

    I found the stalling tactics of Nadal and Djoker just as irritating.
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10260
    22 Jan '10 01:08
    the cuties are dropping like flies... now ana ivanovic is out :'(
  10. Standard membermonster truck
    Walleye Guy
    Gone fishin'
    Joined
    22 Mar '05
    Moves
    15170
    22 Jan '10 01:52
    Originally posted by trev33
    the cuties are dropping like flies... now ana ivanovic is out :'(
    She's easy on the eyes but her tennis is in the toilet!
    Too bad, she seems like a sweet kid.

    Guess we'll have to keep our eyes on the Belgians & Williams Sistas.
    I love me some Serena!!!😲😲
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10260
    22 Jan '10 02:08
    Originally posted by monster truck
    She's easy on the eyes but her tennis is in the toilet!
    Too bad, she seems like a sweet kid.

    Guess we'll have to keep our eyes on the Belgians & Williams Sistas.
    I love me some Serena!!!😲😲
    can i say fat black ass without sounding racist?

    to hell with it i'm going for it...

    yes i have to say i have a bit of a soft spot for serena's big black ass 😉

    it is sad to watch a former world no. 1 and slam winner playing like the way ana did yesterday... she is only 20 so who knows how her career with go from here. her serve, or more specifically her ball toss was shocking.
  12. Standard membermonster truck
    Walleye Guy
    Gone fishin'
    Joined
    22 Mar '05
    Moves
    15170
    22 Jan '10 02:211 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    can i say fat black ass without sounding racist?

    to hell with it i'm going for it...

    yes i have to say i have a bit of a soft spot for serena's big black ass 😉

    it is sad to watch a former world no. 1 and slam winner playing like the way ana did yesterday... she is only 20 so who knows how her career with go from here. her serve, or more specifically her ball toss was shocking.
    The preferred term is 'BaDonkaDonk'.😉

    That's been one of my pet peeves with the women's tour for decades- they just can't serve.
    Even at the beginner level, females seemed to struggle more with the motion. (ooops, did I just sound sexist?) 😉

    You would think at a bare minimum that a former slam winner/#1 would be able to toss a ball 4' in the air consistently.🙄
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10260
    22 Jan '10 02:54
    Originally posted by monster truck
    The preferred term is 'BaDonkaDonk'.😉

    That's been one of my pet peeves with the women's tour for decades- they just can't serve.
    Even at the beginner level, females seemed to struggle more with the motion. (ooops, did I just sound sexist?) 😉

    You would think at a bare minimum that a former slam winner/#1 would be able to toss a ball 4' in the air consistently.🙄
    whatever the term is i totally would 😀

    there's very few on the woman's side who can consistently close out games... how many times have we seen even world no. 1s flap when in front in a slam? it's shocking. can you imagine rafa, federer, roddick, del potro... any of the top male players in the last few years choke when winning 5-1 in the final set of a match? i've never seen it but in the woman's game we see it nearly every slam.

    a couple of weeks ago kim played henin in the final of some warm up tournament, it was one of the best womans matches i've watched in years but in the middle when kim looked to be running out a pretty comfortable 2 sets winner she collapsed and henin won 5 or 6 (maybe 7) games in a row. she ended up beating henin who also tighten up a bit but still it was shocking play from a current slam winner.

    i understand why there's more breaks of serve in the womans game but when you see the games where it seems like it's a disadvantage to serve something is seriously wrong... the final set of the ivanovic match was like that yesterday... 4 of the last 5 games where breaks of serve.
  14. Standard membermonster truck
    Walleye Guy
    Gone fishin'
    Joined
    22 Mar '05
    Moves
    15170
    22 Jan '10 13:23
    Originally posted by trev33
    whatever the term is i totally would 😀

    there's very few on the woman's side who can consistently close out games... how many times have we seen even world no. 1s flap when in front in a slam? it's shocking. can you imagine rafa, federer, roddick, del potro... any of the top male players in the last few years choke when winning 5-1 in the final set of a ma ...[text shortened]... e ivanovic match was like that yesterday... 4 of the last 5 games where breaks of serve.
    I think females in general lack a literal 'Killer Instinct'.
    The will to crush an opponent when they are down. Enjoying the smell of blood in the water and knowing that you created it and then feasting upon it. It is totally a guy thing. (thank goodness!)
    This is evident in the mental game of most female players and technically evident in the serve. The yips that we're seeing at this Aussie Open are literally contagious amongst the women. I'd dare say there have been more tosses caught amongst the WTA this week alone than during the entire year last year. Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but not much.
  15. Standard membermonster truck
    Walleye Guy
    Gone fishin'
    Joined
    22 Mar '05
    Moves
    15170
    22 Jan '10 17:21
    Clisjters out in a stunning upset.
    Pummeled by Petrova!!!😲
Back to Top