1. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    21 Aug '07 19:05
    Originally posted by poundlee
    You should probably have more outrage that unless the NFL can make money on something they treat HUMANS as well as Michael Vick treats DOGS that he cannnot make money on. The NFL encourages human beings to smack into each other at high speeds becuase it is entertaining. I am sure there are more people who think it is Ok to hit someone because they see foo ...[text shortened]... sure you protest a guy who killed a dog or two because clearly he is the problem with football.
    That's ridiculous. Tell you what. NFL preseason is halfway over. At the end of it, show me where failed prospects are beaten, drowned, hanged, or shot; and I'll take you more seriously.
  2. Standard memberhammster21
    Endgamer
    Wisconsin
    Moves
    21 Aug '07 19:23
    The NFL makes fists full of money and could not cares that former players can barely walk (see Earl Cambell), gives older players virtually no pension. That concussions cause headaches that last weeks or forever but NFL people laugh and call it getting your bell rung. But make sure you protest a guy who killed a dog or two because clearly he is the problem with football.
    In football, getting the crap kicked out of you is part of the game. I played football last year and had body parts go numb, some mournings I limped around in the mourning, I even got knocked unconscious for 10 seconds during a game. The players fully understand the risks they take when they choose to run as fast as they can and take on a bigger player. Its a part of the game and players know that they can, and will, get hurt.

When I got knocked unconscious I could have told the trainer and got taken out of the game and had tests run, but I didn't. I wanted to play the game because I enjoyed it.

Oh, and the nfl pays players millions of dollars. The players should be smart enough to invest some of that for the future.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Aug '07 20:09
    Well, if had the ability to stop one of the two things. (1) Dog fighting because losing dogs get electrocuted/ drowned or (2) high school football because students get concussions, torn ligaments and broken bones. I'd stop the damage caused by football. I'm not sure when some teenage good thinks he can get a college scholarship or have an opportunity to score with a cheerleader that humans have 100% free choice in the matter. Furthermore, it is legal to euthinize dogs so the moral outrage isn't really about killing it is about how we kill an animal.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    21 Aug '07 23:34
    Well, if had the ability to stop one of the two things. (1) Dog fighting because losing dogs get electrocuted/ drowned or (2) high school football because students get concussions, torn ligaments and broken bones. I'd stop the damage caused by football. I'm not sure when some teenage good thinks he can get a college scholarship or have an opportunity to s ...[text shortened]... inize dogs so the moral outrage isn't really about killing it is about how we kill an animal.
    How and why.... They don't electrocute the losing dog, the killed the dogs that didn't fight. The dogs that lose the fight die IN the fight. Perhaps you need to do some reading on this topic. Perhaps you need to view some of the images of the dogs and see if you're still willing to make your moronic comparison.

NFL didn't invent football, they play football. Parents have the right to NOT let their kids play football if they don't want them playing the sport. No one is forced to play football, people make the choice. Dogs don't get a choice, and if they don't want to fight is when they are killed as some ASS takes bets on how long the dog will survive whatever brutal method of killing they decide to put said dog to death with.

You may as well compare driving or cooking to dog fighting, because it would be just as stupid a point as you are now trying to make.

P-
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 00:08
    I am amazed that people feel so bad for the dog just because the dog does not free choice but could not care when people get hurt or injured in the name of sport. Obviously dog fighting is moronic but it is only a dog and this is not the crime of the century.
    I'm more bothered by our attitude regaring ultimate fighting and boxing. States allow people to fight without helmets they call it a "sweet science" and let people bet on it (as if human beings were dogs). When someone is knocked out they are literally hit so hard that they can't get up. Poor people play "this sport" because they feel they have no opportunity to do otherwise become rich. Sometimes the person dies (like when Ray Boom Mancini killed that guy) or sometimes they end up talking like Muhammed Ali but that's ok because it wasn't a dog and the person quasi-consented.
    Just for the record, I imagine that the real reason dog fighters kill dogs that are no longer in use is because there is not much else you can do with it. It's not like you can give away to a child or use it as a seeing eye dog.
  6. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 01:23
    I am amazed that people feel so bad for the dog just because the dog does not free choice but could not care when people get hurt or injured in the name of sport. Obviously dog fighting is moronic but it is only a dog and this is not the crime of the century.
    I'm more bothered by our attitude regaring ultimate fighting and boxing. States allow people to ...[text shortened]... do with it. It's not like you can give away to a child or use it as a seeing eye dog.
    Don't even bring up mixed martial arts until you know the first thing about it.

If you insist on making meaningless connections between dogfighting and violent human sports, then first show me where humans that are unwilling to engage in these sports are tortured and killed. Until then you've got no comparison.

You also demonstrate a disturbing lack of respect for other lifeforms. It may be hard for you to see just how closely related we are to dogs and other mammals because we've produced some profound technology in the last 10,000 years. In animal kingdom we are not so far apart. These dogs possess the ability to feel pain and the desire to live. They have emotions and personalities. Torturing them for our own pleasure is arrogant and grotesque.
  7. USA
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 01:55
    I'm more bothered by our attitude regaring ultimate fighting and boxing. States allow people to ...[text shortened]... do with it. It's not like you can give away to a child or use it as a seeing eye dog.
    ...dogs that are no longer in use is because there is not much else you can do with it...

Take a hard look at yourself, and then say that to everybody again

*turns head away in disgust*
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 02:33
    1000s of dogs are killed ever day and no one cares. People are starving, people don't have homes and live on the street in cold area. No one cares if help or if the people die. But a few dogs .... not even cute pets, but the kind that would rip your head off, get killed and it is the crime of the century. He's so evil that he is not fit to play the overly barabaric sport of football ever again. It is a total joke.
  9. Standard memberhammster21
    Endgamer
    Wisconsin
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 04:21
    1000s of dogs are killed ever day and no one cares. People are starving, people don't have homes and live on the street in cold area. No one cares if help or if the people die.
    I agree with this. People are taking the charges against Vick like he committed some sort of mass murder. Theres no question what he did was wrong, but what is the right punishment that fits the crime. There are people who get raped and murdered everyday. I see the point you are trying to make. I saw a commercial from PETA that said you if your house is on fire you should make sure you take your animals with you, or something like that. People need to put this into perspective. Paris Hilton dresses up her dog and walks down the street past people that have no roof over their head. Perspective.
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 06:27
    Originally posted by hammster21
    I agree with this. People are taking the charges against Vick like he committed some sort of mass murder. Theres no question what he did was wrong, but what is the right punishment that fits the crime. There are people who get raped and murdered everyday. I see the point you are trying to make. I saw a commercial from PETA that said you if your house is o ...[text shortened]... up her dog and walks down the street past people that have no roof over their head. Perspective.
    It was mass murder. The murder of dogs. It is in perspective, he's going to go to jail for less than 2 years. I think he should get no less than 3.

Yes, people are murdered and raped every day. Does that make any other crime no longer a crime? Try driving drunk or go rob a bank. If you are busted just tell them to put it in perspective and see what it gets you.

As for PETA commercials and Paris' dog... stupid! If my house is burning, I will try to get the cat if I can, but I'm afraid the cat is going to be hiding someplace I'll never find him. I'm not going to rush into my burning house just for the cat, and I'm certainly not even going to think of my cat until my wife and child are safely outside.

Paris' dog probably eats better than you or I... and probably wears more expensive clothes. Not sure what it means... but I'm sure the dog is pretty happy and there is probably someone paid to feed and take care of the dog.

If I were a dog, I'd rather be with Paris than Vick. That's damn sure.

P-
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 13:16
    Go To:

http://www.790thescore.com/

Click "listen live now" near top right in the banner.

Today they will be talking about some of the stupid people who try to compare dog fighting to things like hunting and other things... and those people that say stuff like "They're just dogs".

Should be interesting. Also, it's Hump Day... so they'll have some interesting news stories.

P-
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 13:55
    People hunt for recreation. Shoot an animal often don't even kill it. That's got to hurt and it has to be inhumane. It is also just for human entertainment, especially if you don't eat the meat. There is something especially sick about it if you mount a head on your wall as a trophy. There are places in this country that love hunting so much that they close school the first day of hunting season. Plus, you are more likely to hurt human hunting. Bobby Knight even shot a friend hunting so did the vice president. I am not for dog fighting but if you think Vick is a mass murder start than be consistent and start re-examining A LOT of things that you find acceptable.
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 15:22
    People hunt for recreation. Shoot an animal often don't even kill it. That's got to hurt and it has to be inhumane. It is also just for human entertainment, especially if you don't eat the meat. There is something especially sick about it if you mount a head on your wall as a trophy. There are places in this country that love hunting so much that they ...[text shortened]... der start than be consistent and start re-examining A LOT of things that you find acceptable.
    Population of wildlife regulates when a hunting season is, and hunters have a limit on how many they can bring in. There is a good reason to let hunters hunt regardless of if you agree with their right to do so. Some animals are hurt with a bad shot, but most hunters will track the animal as to make the final kill, and many hunters are excellent at making a kill shot.

More likely to hurt a human? That is stupid. Prove it, or don't say anything. You named 2 people, don't blow smoke up our asses.

Some do keep animals as a trophy, that doesn't make dog fighting any more acceptable. There is no one that ties a bear or a dear to a fence and shock it to death and take bets how long it will live.

As far as comparing hunting to dog fighting:

There are limits on hunting

Animals are not tortured on purpose IF AT ALL. Most hunters know what they are doing and have NO intention of making the animal suffer.

Dogs die in every fight, while fists of money are given to the winner and a dog is left to bleed to death on the Astroturf.

Animals are not stolen as bait in hunting from families that love their pets.

When someone goes hunting I might get Venison stew or chili. None of the dogs at Vick's were eaten.

Is it HOW you kill an animal? YES. Is it WHY you kill an animal? YES.

You kill an animal to eat it, reduce the population, or secure a trophy. These animals are not tortured while some dumby takes bets on how long they will live just because the animal didn't want to fight.

There is no comparison here. Period.

P-
  14. Joined
    07 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 16:041 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Population of wildlife regulates when a hunting season is, and hunters have a limit on how many they can bring in. There is a good reason to let hunters hunt regardless of if you agree with their right to do so. Some animals are hurt with a bad shot, but most hunters will track the animal as to make the final kill, and many hunters are excellent at makin ust because the animal didn't want to fight.

There is no comparison here. Period.

P-
    Very well put. 🙂
    Not to mention it is law. There are laws agaisnt unlawfully hunting animals, as well as animal cruelty. And as far as I know there has never been open season on dogs or cats.

The law needs to stop catering to athletes. They are not above it though they may think so, and the many that point fingers at everything else, to makelight of an offense, is just plain ignorant!!!
  15. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 16:24
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    It was mass murder. The murder of dogs.
    I take it from this that you're a vegetarian.

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree