1. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    27 Jun '10 20:561 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    did you see the game? england were pants. usa was poor as well in the extra time and first half but they could've/maybe should've won it in the second half.

england, what? 4 chances all match compared to germanys 10? germany were much the better side.
    Let me reformulate:
    Germany were much better than England and clearly deserved the win. Still there was a period in which England were playing very well, in that period between the 2-0 and the 3-1 they were quite good (not GOOD, but fairly better than USA's performance yesterday which, quite frankly, disappointed me).

Hope I made myself clearer now...
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '10 21:38
    Originally posted by orion25
    Uhm? Did you see the games. England was really good and did not deserve to loose by 4-1, 2-1 would be fair enough. Also USA weren't any good, their defence was rubbish and they deserved to loose.
    Just where do you get England was really good? You mean those stumps posing as players. The same who allowed four goals? USA was in contention. Was England? Even with the non-call, you play on, forget about it and press forward. These whiney sissies wanted to cry and go home. They got their wish!
  3. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 02:37
    Originally posted by phil3000
    Thank you Ghana for the sake of football !!!
    if you don't like soccer, don't watch.

there are lots of channels on your TV. I am sure you can find some wrestling or nascar on another channel.

you make the rest of us from the US look like morons
  4. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 02:39
    Originally posted by orion25
    Let me reformulate:
    Germany were much better than England and clearly deserved the win. Still there was a period in which England were playing very well, in that period between the 2-0 and the 3-1 they were quite good (not GOOD, but fairly better than USA's performance yesterday which, quite frankly, disappointed me).

Hope I made myself clearer now...
    USA was quite strong in the second half.

Frankly, you have to question our defense, our coaching, and our lapses.
  5. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 22:01
    Originally posted by Red Night

there are lots of channels on your TV. I am sure you can find some wrestling or nascar on another channel.

I think you have misunderstood me ..
    It's not called soccer ,it's called football !!!!
    Football was invented by the English and you across the pond call it soccer!!!
    It's a bit like calling your American football (where did you get the football bit from ?) " Padded men in tights rugby "
  6. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 22:33
    I have no doubt this has been mentioned before, but it sure has piqued my interest as to why we actually call it "soccer" and not "football."

So a couple Google clicks away I found that the English look to have invented the term "soccer" in the late 1800's:

"The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as an Oxford "-er" abbreviation of the word "association", often credited to former England captain Charles Wreford-Brown." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football

"The term "Soccer" was coined when someone was asked if he was a Rugger, which is a Rugby player. The -er signified that the person participated in a particular sport. The individual, Charles Wreford Brown, replied with "Soccer!", taking the phrase from Association, SOC, and adding the -er." http://web.archive.org/web/20071230053134/http://germany2006.fussballportal.de/history.php

Just thought it was interesting. I used to think it was silly we called it soccer, now it doesn't seem quite as silly. 🙂
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 23:52
    I think you have misunderstood me ..
    It's a bit like calling your American football (where did you get the football bit from ?) " Padded men in tights rugby "
    it's not only in america were they call it soccer numbnuts.

where was your 'soccer out' thread when france beat ireland? it's called soccer here by the majority.
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 00:10
    Originally posted by Traveling Again
    I have no doubt this has been mentioned before, but it sure has piqued my interest as to why we actually call it "soccer" and not "football."

So a couple Google clicks away I found that the English look to have invented the term "soccer" in the late 1800's:

"The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as an Oxford "- ...[text shortened]... as silly we called it soccer, now it doesn't seem quite as silly. 🙂
    Google wrong yet again. It is called soccer because it was played with old socks stuffed with rocks to make them heavier. The socks did not last very long so someone decided to make a ball out of old petrified haggis casings, normally the scrotums of sheep. Since it takes more than one scrotum to make a ball they sewed these together creating the traditional look. In order not to offend the sensibilties of the public at large the soccer clubs misreported that the scrotums were merely discarded Varese leather Italians sold Brits for bycicle seats. Previously English horse hiney's were tried, but parliament protested and that was the end of that!
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 02:42
    Originally posted by Red Night

I am sure no one judges all of the U.S. by a few of you!
  10. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 03:22
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Google wrong yet again. It is called soccer because it was played with old socks stuffed with rocks to make them heavier.
    HAHAHAHA!!!

Next time on Mythbusters...

Where do you get these insane ideas?
  11. Standard memberbarstudd
    dinky-di Aussie
    Australia
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 04:58

where was your 'soccer out' thread when france beat ireland? it's called soccer here by the majority.
    its not considered football or soccer any more is it?
    Its considered as grass diving now.
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 11:52
    Originally posted by barstudd
    its not considered football or soccer any more is it?
    Its considered as grass diving now.
    Soccer is evolving into a sorry quasi-sport of strategy based on hacking, fooling blind refs and linesmen and winning set pieces instead of trying to score outright. If these bozos fought for goals the way they do corner kicks and avoid pratfalling(diving) their way into set pieces or PK's we'd have a more honest and enjoyable sport.
  13. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 15:231 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Soccer is evolving into a sorry quasi-sport of strategy based on hacking, fooling blind refs and linesmen and winning set pieces instead of trying to score outright. If these bozos fought for goals the way they do corner kicks and avoid pratfalling(diving) their way into set pieces or PK's we'd have a more honest and enjoyable sport.
    I agree -- all of that diving makes association football a truly despicable sport.

You don't see any of this in sports invented in the US - sports like basketball where you never see anyone trying to win an oscar by hoping to convince the refs that.....uhhhh...never mind...
  14. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 17:25

What's France knocking out Ireland got to do with soccer /football?
    Are you saying the majority of Irish football fans in Ireland call it "soccer"?
    I dont know what part of Ireland you come from jerkoff !!
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 21:33
    What's France knocking out Ireland got to do with soccer /football?
    Are you saying the majority of Irish football fans in Ireland call it "soccer"?
    I dont know what part of Ireland you come from jerkoff !!
    if i wrote 'the majority of irish fans call it soccer' then i mean the majority of irish fans call it soccer, numbnuts.

this is what we call football - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaelic_football

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree