1. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 15:09
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    If Congress is going to waste its time worrying about "cheating" in baseball, why not waste its time worrying about cheating in football?
    If Congress is going to waste its time.....[fill in the blank]
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Feb '08 14:21
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Last I checked Steroids were illegal... cameras are not.

If they want to talk with NFL players who've tested for these drugs, they should. Other than that, this is a Philly fan who's whining.

YD

P-
    Last I checked, Congress wasn't a law enforcement agency. Last I checked, no player, in any sport, has been prosecuted for using steroids.

Congress has as much right to look into cheating in one type of interstate commerce as another.

You sound like a Patriot fan who is whining.
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Feb '08 16:06
    Personally I hope Specter gets his wish and there is a congressional investigation. I would love to see Bill Belichik testify before congress and make a complete ass out of Specter.
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Feb '08 18:44
    ESPN has just posted commissioner Roger Goodell's written reply to Senator Specter. The reply is dated January 31st, 2008.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0201/nfl_goodellltr.pdf

I think it is notable that in this document Roger Goodell went ON RECORD stating specifically that the leagues investigation into spygate revealed no evidence that the Patriots cheated against the Eagles in Superbowl 2005.

So all you whining Eagles fans can choke on it.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Feb '08 19:241 edit
    In addition (copied and pasted from ESPN.COM):

Commissioner Roger Goodell said the NFL destroyed six tapes in the Spygate investigation. Some were from the 2007 exhibition season. Some were from late in the 2006 season, he said. The league also collected notes that may or may not have been gathered in violation of NFL rules, Goodell said. These were also destroyed.

"We felt that was appropriate since we could not determine" how the notes were collected. I'm sure Sen. Arlen Specter will have some additional questions. The league said it didn't receive his letters demanding elaboration until quite recently. "There was no indication that it benefited them in any of the Super Bowl victories. I'm not sure there is a coach in the league that doesn't expect that their signals are being intercepted by some way by opposing teams. That is why they go to the great lengths (to conceal signals)."

Why destroy the tapes? "It was the best way to make sure the Patriots followed my instructions. I wanted to make sure that bit of information did not appear, that if it did, (the league knew) they did not hand over all the inforamtion. They certified in writing" that all evidence had been handed over to the league.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Feb '08 20:12
    Congress certainly should investigate the NFL. I would have started with steriods. If people think steriods is a problem in MLB, look at the size of players compared to the size of players 25 years ago. It has got to be nutrition (they are ingesting the same substances as Bonds, McGuire and Sosa).
  7. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    02 Feb '08 15:28
    Dear Arlen,

I know you are the Senator from Pennsylvania, but the Eagles lost to the Patriots in 2005 and nothing is going to change that. GET OVER IT.

Yours,

DR
  8. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    04 Feb '08 17:40
    Originally posted by Ullr
    Personally I hope Specter gets his wish and there is a congressional investigation. I would love to see Bill Belichik testify before congress and make a complete ass out of Specter.
    Nobody can make an ass out of Specter, he knows all!
  9. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    04 Feb '08 17:42
    Originally posted by Doctor Rat
    Dear Arlen,

I know you are the Senator from Pennsylvania, but the Eagles lost to the Patriots in 2005 and nothing is going to change that. GET OVER IT.

Yours,

DR
    He's over it, I'm still not though lol. It doesn't have as much to do with his being from pennsylvania as you think. You must watch too much espn or something to form that opinion.
  10. Cavan, Ireland
    Moves
    05 Feb '08 18:34
    Last I checked Steroids were illegal... cameras are not.

If they want to talk with NFL players who've tested for these drugs, they should. Other than that, this is a Philly fan who's whining.

YD

P-
    Last time I checked, it's against the rules to record other teams signals using technology, no one said cameras were illegal, if the Pats have such an amazing team why did they feel the need to cheat? And whos to say they didn't cheat in any other game?
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 Feb '08 21:30
    Originally posted by John1916
    Last time I checked, it's against the rules to record other teams signals using technology, no one said cameras were illegal, if the Pats have such an amazing team why did they feel the need to cheat? And whos to say they didn't cheat in any other game?
    So congress is going to waste their time over using a camera in a sports game? It's idiotic, and a waste of time.

Steroids are illegal, so I can see congress wanting to look into it. This guy is a jilted fan and abusing his position in government if this is what he feels is important.

It's stupid, and he's stupid. The NFL is satisfied with policing them selves.

Also, filming has been done by several teams. Teams steal signs all the time. What happened to Bill was he tried it AFTER the NFL sent out a letter to all coaches telling them to stop.

If you think it's important for congressman who is a fan of a team to star reffing the games, I feel sad for you.

P-
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Feb '08 22:091 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Well lets see, what has history taught us about cheating?

The Pats have been proven cheaters this year and are on their way to winning yet another Super Duper Bowl.

Barry Bonds is a proven cheater using roids and has set the all time home run record in Baseball as as result. I suspect Roger Clemens is not far behind setting untold pitching records at a ...[text shortened]... from it all is that those who cheat simply want to win!!! May the best cheater take the prize!!
    Yep. History tells us that people like "alpha males" who do anything to win. It doesn't matter if it's sports, politics, business or screwing your "friend's" wife.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Feb '08 22:13
    So congress is going to waste their time over using a camera in a sports game? It's idiotic, and a waste of time.

Steroids are illegal, so I can see congress wanting to look into it. This guy is a jilted fan and abusing his position in government if this is what he feels is important.

It's stupid, and he's stupid. The NFL is satisfied with policin ...[text shortened]... for congressman who is a fan of a team to star reffing the games, I feel sad for you.

P-
    What message does it send to the kids that you can cheat and prosper? Remember the kids, Phlab. Where would it end; would quitters start winning, too???
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 Feb '08 23:17
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    What message does it send to the kids that you can cheat and prosper? Remember the kids, Phlab. Where would it end; would quitters start winning, too???
    I already covered this for you, try some ginseng biloba or something to enhance your memory.

Kids doing steroids and HGH is bad.
    Kid throwing a spit ball also bad, and pay the price when caught.

Throwing a spitball isn't going to kill you 10 years early, where Steroids and HGH have potential health hazards.

Bill was caught, and he's paid the price through a fine and lost draft pick.

Any of this ring a bell, gramps?

P-
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Feb '08 00:07
    I already covered this for you, try some ginseng biloba or something to enhance your memory.

Kids doing steroids and HGH is bad.
    Kid throwing a spit ball also bad, and pay the price when caught.

Throwing a spitball isn't going to kill you 10 years early, where Steroids and HGH have potential health hazards.

Bill was caught, and he's paid the price through a fine and lost draft pick.

Any of this ring a bell, gramps?

P-
    He was fined for the incident last year regarding the Jets; this investigation is into past misdeeds.

If you rob 10 banks and they convict you of the last one, that doesn't mean that you won't eventually get punished for the other 9.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree