1. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Jun '07 16:54
    boxers just dont go all out anymore it seems...im going to go with the lightheavyweights of the ufc...204lbs..
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    18 Jun '07 21:22
    Alright, wait wait.....

If you are a guy and who could be any athelete who would you be bodywise? I'm not talking about popular, rich, good looking. Just the body.

Same with girls if you are a girl?
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    18 Jun '07 21:23
    Originally posted by Crowley
    You do know we have a sports forum, don't you?
    Does this really belong in the sport forum?

If you were a guy and could have any fit body who would you pick? Can't be aliens, superhero, fictional etc...

Surely ppl would pick sport atheletes.
  4. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    18 Jun '07 21:49
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Does this really belong in the sport forum?

If you were a guy and could have any fit body who would you pick? Can't be aliens, superhero, fictional etc...

Surely ppl would pick sport atheletes.
    Unlikely, the athletes life is hard work, early nights, carp healthy food, and not much partying. i'd be a rockstar if given the choice. wouldn't get banned for doping that way either.
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    18 Jun '07 23:12
    Originally posted by rhb
    Unlikely, the athletes life is hard work, early nights, carp healthy food, and not much partying. i'd be a rockstar if given the choice. wouldn't get banned for doping that way either.
    You would want to have a rockstars body?

What's that, plain?
  6. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 02:03
    Originally posted by jvanhine
    boxers just dont go all out anymore it seems...im going to go with the lightheavyweights of the ufc...204lbs..
    ok,this didnt really relate but im gonna stick with it...
  7. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 03:25
    [b]Which sport has the fittest players?[b]
    Cycling, no question, drugs or not.
  8. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 04:44
    I asked the Physical Training Instructors at Police HQ who work closely with the NZ institute of sport and pro's like the All Blacks and Team NZ Yachting.
    They regularly monitor all the top pros from all the major sports a beep test and put them through some other tests.. the fitest people the have ever tested so far were:

Sue Devoy (multi time womens World Champ Squash)
    Geoff Hunt (ditto Mens world squash champ)
    followed very closely by the top NZ All blacks (pro rugby)
    Surprisingly Rob Hammel the World champ Rower turned Yachting grinder
    is currently the fittest pound per pound guy on the books.
    The test covers strength/stamina/speed v bmi and recovery time.
    These athletes are lean mean machines that deliver power and never stop. The gymnasts had power but no stamina.
  9. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 06:30
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    I asked the Physical Training Instructors at Police HQ who work closely with the NZ institute of sport and pro's like the All Blacks and Team NZ Yachting.
    They regularly monitor all the top pros from all the major sports a beep test and put them through some other tests.. the fitest people the have ever tested so far were:

Sue Devoy (multi time womens ...[text shortened]... re lean mean machines that deliver power and never stop. The gymnasts had power but no stamina.
    A bleep test would favour squash players significantly over cyclists.

I think squash and cycling need tremendous fitness levels but cycling it is central to their training where a squash player needs to focus as much on skill and technique. Also cycling has a much bigger number of competitors.
  10. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 07:06
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    A bleep test would favour squash players significantly over cyclists.

I think squash and cycling need tremendous fitness levels but cycling it is central to their training where a squash player needs to focus as much on skill and technique. Also cycling has a much bigger number of competitors.
    It wasn't just the beep test.. it was a series of tests giving an overall strength and fitness rating.. the test is used in most pro sport centres
    For for your sport is one thing but scoring well in this assessment is amazing. A triathlete would more likely beat a cyclist in this series of tests.
    When I had fitness (and a wasteline lol) in team sports the cylists, swimmers and rowers could never keep up because their bodies were just not prepared to carry their own weight. Nowadays rowers have recognised this and really put in the miles in road work (walk run training).

One guy above mentioned volley ball.. they are amazingly fit.. scoring very high but lacked an edge in stamina because of all the agility training they do. They are brilliant at court and field team games like touch rugby etc.. fast as lightning, lithe as cats.

May shock too but ballroom dancers and some competitive show dancers score higher than pro footballers (soccer) and tennis players.
  11. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 08:18
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    It wasn't just the beep test.. it was a series of tests giving an overall strength and fitness rating.. the test is used in most pro sport centres
    For for your sport is one thing but scoring well in this assessment is amazing. A triathlete would more likely beat a cyclist in this series of tests.
    When I had fitness (and a wasteline lol) in team sports t ...[text shortened]... d some competitive show dancers score higher than pro footballers (soccer) and tennis players.
    Good points.

The school I teach at has a couple of Olympic gold medallist rowers and although it is small it won 3 national titles this year. What is amazing is how they do well in cross country despite carrying huge upper body weight.

Rowers and cyclists have amazing pain tolerance.
  12. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 08:301 edit
    You have to know that rowers couldn't be the fittest, sitting on their butt. They might have upper body fitness, but not total.

I have to agree that the training involved with being a boxer is the most fulfilling~
  13. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 08:52
    You would want to have a rockstars body?

What's that, plain?
    At risk of sounding quite gay, I had someone like Anthony Kiedis in mind.
  14. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 08:55
    Which sport has the fittest players?
    AFL (Australian Rules Football) midfielders generally are some of the fittest sportsmen around because you need to be blisteringly quick, very strong, have incredible stamina and have to be agile.

Some players run the equivalent of a half marathon during games, and most of this is sprinting.
  15. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 09:16
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    You have to know that rowers couldn't be the fittest, sitting on their butt. They might have upper body fitness, but not total.
    I've heard of quite a few club rowers taking up triathlon and being locally competitive.

The fact a rowers position is sitting does nothing to limit their fitness. The legs do a tremendous amount of work, and the stroke is supported by good core strength.

Squash is intense, and I don't doubt the top players fitness levels - it's the sport that makes me sweat more than anything, and I've been close to fainting on court after a long rally on more than one occasion.

It's difficult to compare Squash versus Triathlon etc though as the two sports are so different.

Tirau Dan - has the NZ programmes tested any Ironman Triathletes? Would be interesting to see how the likes of Norman Stadler stack up against those tested so far.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree