Spurs

Standard memberrhb
Sports 19 Oct '08 17:01
  1. 6yd box
    Moves
    28 Oct '08 17:521 edit
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    [b]Listen rhb.

If it wasn't for the big4 the Premiership would implode, the top clubs are greatly subsididing the other teams in the Premiership.
    ROAB- you may say that and i understnd your view, however the PL is now getting to be like the SPL... they got 2 teams who win everything (i remember the early 80s when a ferguson managed Aberdeen challanged the top 2 in scotland for a few years and i was rooting for them)

Now in the PL its the top 4, win 95% of the trpoheys..year in..year out..its all about who will be 5th and i think its sad.

Its got into a catch 22 situration with the CL being the competition where all the top players want to play , thus the rest of us cant keep ourt top players ie Spurs losing Barbatov, kean and Carrick.

Its not your fault, but UEFAa have to take some responsibility for creating the CL with the tv money.

I feel if we went back to just the champions making the CL it would go some way to even out the field
  2. LA
    Moves
    28 Oct '08 22:071 edit
    I agree with you both that the Premier League is unfair and getting worse.

I really sympothise with a team like Spurs when you lose players like Keane, Berbatov, Carrick, Campbell and Defoe, it must make you think "Whats the point in building a great side, it will just get picked off by the big boys".

As a United supported, I'm spoiled and my views can be distorted. Thinking about it I would be gutted if we sold Rooney, or Giggs, Scholes had been sold off at 25 years old.

I have a few points to make though:-

- We Still have the most competitive league in Europe, compare to France, Italy, Portugal, Germany, Spain, Turkey, Greese, Holland, Scotland.

- With Liverpool looking like potential title challengers and if City live up to the hype we could have 5 teams next season all with a good claim that they could win the league.

- The Premier League does distribute money quite evenly amongst the teams via TV money support and healthy payouts no matter what position you finish in the league.
    The results are that we are seeing the best players in the world playing in the Premiership for all our teams. The player quality level is so much higher that 10 years ago.

- A good ponit was made, it looks like the Champions League has created this unfair situation were the very best players only want to play for a top 4 team. This is the problem we need to solve.

Maybe only the PL winners automatically qualify.
    Then we have a knockout competition for the whole PL.
    When we get down to the last 4, they all automatically qualify for the Champions League.
    So the Champions league now gets 5 teams from each country and every team has a chance of qualifying, sounds reasonable to me.
    The only downside is you would lose the mini league competition for a top 4 spot, but we didn't have this in the good old days.

- If we can solve this biased CL entry system I think we would have a system that works. Nobody really wants to see the "big 4" join a European Super League.
    I want to see United play Leeds, West Ham, Newcastle, Spurs, Villa. Not PSV, Porto and Valencia.

I've always said that the Champions League is just a nice trophy to win, the league is much more important.

I recognize, and I wish the media would recognize that we have to open up entry to the CL to all Premier League clubs in some way.
  3. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 12:07
    Originally posted by rhb
    Seeing as you're too chicken to recieve PM from me AB... you can call me most things and i'll take it as banter, but not that. If you don't know what it means go look it up. Do it again and i'll make something bigger of it. Understood?
    Ooooooooh! Get you. The internet hardman. You, like all keyboard warriors on here are on my ignore list as I haven't got time for petty PM sniping.
  4. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 12:11
    Originally posted by spurs73
    Now in the PL its the top 4, win 95% of the trpoheys..year in..year out..its all about who will be 5th and i think its sad.
    My heart bleeds just as much as yours would if it were Spurs and not Liverpool in the so called Big 4.

Tell me ... who won the FA and Worthless Cups last season? When you' ve answered that go do some work on your stats
  5. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 13:36
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    Ooooooooh! Get you. The internet hardman. You, like all keyboard warriors on here are on my ignore list as I haven't got time for petty PM sniping.
    That's Intornet Toughguy to you, Spanky.
  6. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 17:33
    Originally posted by rhb
    That's Intornet Toughguy to you, Spanky.
    Hilarious. You PFC types have me rolling in the aisles daily.
  7. 6yd box
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 20:02
    My heart bleeds just as much as yours would if it were Spurs and not Liverpool in the so called Big 4.

Tell me ... who won the FA and Worthless Cups last season? When you' ve answered that go do some work on your stats
    well i guess you are about 18 or 19y old and dont know what football was like before the CL and PL stuff started.

Anyway enjoy your TV armchair football
  8. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 23:44
    Hilarious. You PFC types have me rolling in the aisles daily.
    Don't tarnish me with the same brush as them. They wouldn't know grass roots football if it hit them in the face.

I mean, one of them is a Leeds fan FFS.
  9. Joined
    11 May '07
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 02:05
    I get what you're saying about a tournament to get into the champions league but if we're the only country to do so then players will go to spain and eventually La Liga would become the biggest league in the world (again?).

You have proved how difficult it is to make the premier league less segregated and I'm sure that if sombody came up with an idea without these floors then the premier league would carry out these ideas.
  10. Joined
    11 May '07
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 02:06
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    I agree with you both that the Premier League is unfair and getting worse.

I really sympothise with a team like Spurs when you lose players like Keane, Berbatov, Carrick, Campbell and Defoe, it must make you think "Whats the point in building a great side, it will just get picked off by the big boys".

As a United supported, I'm spoiled and m ...[text shortened]... ecognize that we have to open up entry to the CL to all Premier League clubs in some way.
    I get what you're saying about a tournament to get into the champions league but if we're the only country to do so then players will go to spain and eventually La Liga would become the biggest league in the world (again?).

You have proved how difficult it is to make the premier league less segregated and I'm sure that if sombody came up with an idea without these floors then the premier league would carry out these ideas.
  11. Joined
    11 May '07
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 02:07
    sorry i may have put the same comment out twice

oops!
  12. LA
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 06:38
    Now that Spurs seem to be back and i'm glad to see it.

Media reports are linking Uniteds reserve keeper Foster as their number 1 target.

Any comments anyone? 🙂
  13. LA
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 06:55
    Originally posted by ace121

I really think only the champions getting auto entry to the CL and another 4 teams coming from a Premier League knockout competition will work.

It has many benefits:-
    - All teams in the premiership have a chance to build a team because anyone has a chance to get to the last 4 of a knockout competition and if you get to the last 4 you enter the CL
    - The extra games will generate extre revenue for clubs via both match day tickets for each game and TV rights. Each PL team could be given an automatic 5m because of the guaranteed TV rights.
    - This extra money could be used to offer even more money to the greedy world class footballers so we would still be able to attract the best players, if anything the premiership would become even more attractive
    - The fringe players would get more games as teams would have to cope with the extra games, the fringe players would benefit from the extra games
    - Taking Villa as an example, Barry would have a great chance of getting to the last 4 of a premiership knockout competition (minus the champions) so he has less reason to leave Villa.

Surely this is better than a 39th game in Australia or South Korea.

The only problem is UEFA will have to buy into each country having 5 teams entering the CL but I think things are going this way anyway.
  14. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 09:201 edit
    Originally posted by spurs73
    well i guess you are about 18 or 19y old and dont know what football was like before the CL and PL stuff started.

Anyway enjoy your TV armchair football
    Durrs

I'm 35. I remember Forest and Aston Villa winning the European Cup - but let's get back to the point.

Who won the FA and Worthless Cups last season?

What percentage of last seasons 3 English competitions were won by Big 4 clubs?

Why, when you're made to look a fool do you resort to the usual armchair football / real fans tripe?
  15. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 10:17
    Originally posted by rhb
    Don't tarnish me with the same brush as them. They wouldn't know grass roots football if it hit them in the face.

I mean, one of them is a Leeds fan FFS.
    I support Giggleswick.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree