1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    06 Jun '10 16:081 edit
    It's crazy that they're up against each other.

    So, let's take a poll, who's going to watch what?

    I'll flip around to both, but I'll probably spend most of the time on the hockey game; especially in the first 3 quarters of the NBA game. Basketball doesn't really get interesting until the fourth quarter. In the NHL, the deciding goal can be scored at any moment.
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    45179
    06 Jun '10 16:18
    Originally posted by sh76
    It's crazy that they're up against each other.

    So, let's take a poll, who's going to watch what?

    I'll flip around to both, but I'll probably spend most of the time on the hockey game; especially in the first 3 quarters of the NBA game. Basketball doesn't really get interesting until the fourth quarter. In the NHL, the deciding goal can be scored at any moment.
    Game 5 mostly. But I'll definitely be flipping to Game 2 during commercials and intermissions.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    2996
    06 Jun '10 16:46
    Tape one and watch the other. Once done I'll watch the taped show. Hail the DVR!!!!!
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    414228
    08 Jun '10 04:34
    Originally posted by sh76
    It's crazy that they're up against each other.

    So, let's take a poll, who's going to watch what?

    I'll flip around to both, but I'll probably spend most of the time on the hockey game; especially in the first 3 quarters of the NBA game. Basketball doesn't really get interesting until the fourth quarter. In the NHL, the deciding goal can be scored at any moment.
    Hockey of course! 😉
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    2996
    08 Jun '10 11:34
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Hockey of course! 😉
    I hate to admit it, but I watched the hockey and was so elated by the resut I just looked up NBA results online then erased it and watched the sports center highlights!
  6. Subscribergregsflat
    William Penn's gaze
    Right here pal
    Joined
    10 Mar '06
    Moves
    100432
    08 Jun '10 13:10
    I think the NBA has a image problem. They have the national stars, but her comes Hockey to take a front seat on head to head television. It's the first time I've seen orange Flyers shirts in "the hood".
  7. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39593
    08 Jun '10 21:11
    Originally posted by sh76
    It's crazy that they're up against each other.

    So, let's take a poll, who's going to watch what?

    I'll flip around to both, but I'll probably spend most of the time on the hockey game; especially in the first 3 quarters of the NBA game. Basketball doesn't really get interesting until the fourth quarter. In the NHL, the deciding goal can be scored at any moment.
    The Celtic-Laker game more than doubled the ratings of Black Hawk-Flyer one. http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/06/07/tv-ratings-sunday-nba-finals-and-nhl-stanley-cup-finals-both-up-from-last-year/53289
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    08 Jun '10 21:17
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Celtic-Laker game more than doubled the ratings of Black Hawk-Flyer one. http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/06/07/tv-ratings-sunday-nba-finals-and-nhl-stanley-cup-finals-both-up-from-last-year/53289
    That's a great rating for the NHL; looks like the best since 2002.

    http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/22/nhl-stanley-cup-finals-tv-ratings-1995-2008/19333

    Plus, considering it was up against the NBA finals, that makes it more impressive.

    I know it sounds strange to say this but getting almost half of an NBA finals uber-marquee matchup head to head is a very impressive showing for the NHL.
  9. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39593
    08 Jun '10 21:29
    Originally posted by sh76
    That's a great rating for the NHL; looks like the best since 2002.

    http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/22/nhl-stanley-cup-finals-tv-ratings-1995-2008/19333

    Plus, considering it was up against the NBA finals, that makes it more impressive.

    I know it sounds strange to say this but getting almost half of an NBA finals uber-marquee matchup head to head is a very impressive showing for the NHL.
    If you say so. I wonder how many primetime network shows don't muster 5-6 million viewers.

    The NHL remains small time.
  10. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39593
    08 Jun '10 21:30
    Originally posted by gregsflat
    I think the NBA has a image problem. They have the national stars, but her comes Hockey to take a front seat on head to head television. It's the first time I've seen orange Flyers shirts in "the hood".
    The NBA with "an image problem" still buried the NHL in the TV ratings.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    08 Jun '10 21:58
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    If you say so. I wonder how many primetime network shows don't muster 5-6 million viewers.

    The NHL remains small time.
    Of course the NHL "remains small time" compared to the NBA. It always has been. But it's less small time than it used to be, which is all you can really ask for in a sport.
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    45179
    08 Jun '10 22:43
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The NHL remains small time.
    The NHL will always be "small time" in the eyes of most Americans except in places where the game is actually played by people/kids. Why on Earth the NHL thought they needed to expand into places like Florida, Arizona and California is beyond me.
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223257
    08 Jun '10 23:13
    Originally posted by sh76
    It's crazy that they're up against each other.

    So, let's take a poll, who's going to watch what?

    I'll flip around to both, but I'll probably spend most of the time on the hockey game; especially in the first 3 quarters of the NBA game. Basketball doesn't really get interesting until the fourth quarter. In the NHL, the deciding goal can be scored at any moment.
    I think that most people would watch the NBA.
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    09 Jun '10 00:33
    Originally posted by darvlay
    The NHL will always be "small time" in the eyes of most Americans except in places where the game is actually played by people/kids. Why on Earth the NHL thought they needed to expand into places like Florida, Arizona and California is beyond me.
    True. Measure the NHL against the NBA in Boston, Chicago, Minnesota, Buffalo, Detroit, etc. (cities where waters freeze in the winter, and the NHL is quite competitive.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    414228
    09 Jun '10 01:08
    Originally posted by darvlay
    The NHL will always be "small time" in the eyes of most Americans except in places where the game is actually played by people/kids. Why on Earth the NHL thought they needed to expand into places like Florida, Arizona and California is beyond me.
    I agree!

    It must be quite a job trying to keep the ice up, not to mention very costly!

    Does anyone actually go to the games? I would imagine they have to have people going to make ends meet.
Back to Top