1. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    31 Jul '12 13:39
    Trying to flush out any other cricket fans here other than me and FMF. Plus it gives me something to occupy my mind, and relive happy memories, as I sit on the beach during my summer hols in the next couple of weeks.

    The idea of the game is to try and build the best test team from all players who played test cricket since, say, 1 Jan 1980. Players will take it in turns to select players who, once selected, are not available to anyone else.

    The teams should aim to be the best to play in 'perfect' test conditions i.e.:

    1) Some pace, bounce and seam, particularly early on with new ball.

    2) Some swing, and reverse swing, later on.

    3) Otherwise a good pitch to bat on.

    4) Spin developing on day 3 onwards.

    At the end, the player will have one last chance to explain why their team is the best, after which it will be put to an independent panel to select the winner.

    Comments/abuse on selections, by players, panel and spectators, as we go through, will be strongly encouraged.

    I will develop and refine the rules if I get any interest. But for the moment, just register interest as either 'player' or 'panel' (plus any comments/questions you have).
  2. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29845
    31 Jul '12 14:13
    Interested.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    31 Jul '12 18:51
    Do this with baseball and I'd be in.
  4. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    31 Jul '12 18:59
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Trying to flush out any other cricket fans here other than me and FMF. Plus it gives me something to occupy my mind, and relive happy memories, as I sit on the beach during my summer hols in the next couple of weeks.

    The idea of the game is to try and build the best test team from all players who played test cricket since, say, 1 Jan 1980. Players ...[text shortened]... st register interest as either 'player' or 'panel' (plus any comments/questions you have).
    Can i have Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Imran Khan?
  5. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    31 Jul '12 19:00
    Originally posted by sh76
    Do this with baseball and I'd be in.
    plueeeeze.
  6. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    01 Aug '12 07:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Can i have Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Imran Khan?
    All very fine players, but surely Gavin Hamilton would be in your squad? He qualifies, as he played one test for England, and then was despicably treated by the England selectors (not for the first time).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Hamilton_(cricketer)

    Are you interested, by the way? I presume not, but it is difficult to tell.
  7. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    01 Aug '12 10:362 edits
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    All very fine players, but surely Gavin Hamilton would be in your squad? He qualifies, as he played one test for England, and then was despicably treated by the England selectors (not for the first time).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Hamilton_(cricketer)

    Are you interested, by the way? I presume not, but it is difficult to tell.
    I could pick a team me thinks, but trying to explain why they are the best would prove
    too difficult for me, me thinks, indeed, I am a great fan of bowling, would want Warne,
    Murli, Shoaib Akhtar, Anil Kumble and Glen McGrath. No one from England or Scotland
    would make my team, all southern hemisphere.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    6873
    01 Aug '12 11:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I could pick a team me thinks, but trying to explain why they are the best would prove
    too difficult for me, me thinks, indeed, I am a great fan of bowling, would want Warne,
    Murli, Shoaib Akhtar, Anil Kumble and Glen McGrath. No one from England or Scotland
    would make my team, all southern hemisphere.
    Wot, no Lara? Ambrose? Ponting? Tendulkar, even? I'll have those, then. Starting with Sachin. And I'd better have Beefy for a bowler. And then, because you need a laugh as well as a bowl, Tuffers.

    Richard
  9. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    01 Aug '12 11:30
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Wot, no Lara? Ambrose? Ponting? Tendulkar, even? I'll have those, then. Starting with Sachin. And I'd better have Beefy for a bowler. And then, because you need a laugh as well as a bowl, Tuffers.

    Richard
    Well, you wouldn't necessarily get a chance, as I suspect Tendulkar might be on quite a few pick lists.

    Does this mean you are in?
  10. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    01 Aug '12 16:10
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Wot, no Lara? Ambrose? Ponting? Tendulkar, even? I'll have those, then. Starting with Sachin. And I'd better have Beefy for a bowler. And then, because you need a laugh as well as a bowl, Tuffers.

    Richard
    Ponting? Give me Shahid Afridi any day.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    6873
    02 Aug '12 11:13
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Well, you wouldn't necessarily get a chance, as I suspect Tendulkar might be on quite a few pick lists.

    Does this mean you are in?
    No... I think I'd better not. I like cricket enough, and know just enough about it, to know that I wouldn't stand a chance against a bunch of Commonwealth boys. It's your sport, after all, and almost all I know about it is what I can get from Auntie's coverage, which, in recent years, is close to zilch.

    Richard
  12. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    23 Aug '12 09:50
    OK, it seems my idea has generated about the same level of interest as a Test match in India.

    Unless FMF would still like to continue, I will instead post my 'post 1980' best team of all time in the next few days, and let anyone who wants to take a pot shot at it.
  13. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    24 Aug '12 13:39
    As promised, best test team from anyone who played test cricket after 1980:

    1 Sunil Gavaskar
    2 Matthew Hayden
    3 Sachin Tendulkar
    4 Vivien Richards
    5 Brian Lara
    6 Jacques Kallis
    7 Ian Botham
    8 Adam Gilchrist
    9 Shane Warne
    10 Dennis Lillee
    11 Malcolm Marshall

    12 Muttiah Muralitharan
    (substitute for Ian Botham depending on amount of spin likely to be on offer)
  14. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    25 Aug '12 22:241 edit
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    As promised, best test team from anyone who played test cricket after 1980:

    1 Sunil Gavaskar
    2 Matthew Hayden
    3 Sachin Tendulkar
    4 Vivien Richards
    5 Brian Lara
    6 Jacques Kallis
    7 Ian Botham
    8 Adam Gilchrist
    9 Shane Warne
    10 Dennis Lillee
    11 Malcolm Marshall

    12 Muttiah Muralitharan
    (substitute for Ian Botham depending on amount of spin likely to be on offer)
    My bowlers using reverse swing, will take out your top order in jig time,

    Wasim Akram,
    Waqar Younis,
    Lasith Malinga,
    Glenn McGrath,
    Brett Lee,

    no spin, just reverse swing, speed and the unorthodox style of Malinga

    would include Shoaib Akhtar , but he's too expensive.
  15. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    26 Aug '12 09:40
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    My bowlers using reverse swing, will take out your top order in jig time,

    Wasim Akram,
    Waqar Younis,
    Lasith Malinga,
    Glenn McGrath,
    Brett Lee,

    no spin, just reverse swing, speed and the unorthodox style of Malinga

    would include Shoaib Akhtar , but he's too expensive.
    By the time the reverse swing kicks in, they will have 200 on the board. Enough to build a total that will be out of reach of your lot.

    Your batting line up?
Back to Top