1. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    30 Aug '12 15:31
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Well sure, Botham when he was quick, although I cant remember that. And he was a wicket taker, but on a hot day with good batting conditions after the opening bowlers have failed to get a wicket who is going to be your first drop bowler, Botham? Kallis?
    Botham for me.

However, it raises the point that cricket is hugely influenced by conditions. Given a perfect betting track, any top class batting line-up will make runs, and there is little any top class bowling line-up can do about it once the new ball has gone.

I would also be using Shane Warne whether the pitch is turning much or not, as he was good enough to create problems when other spinners seemed completely without teeth.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '12 15:40
    ICC Test Team 2012:

Alastair Cook (Eng),
    Hashim Amla (SA),
    Kumar Sangakkara (SL),
    Jacques Kallis (SA),
    Michael Clarke (Aus, capt),
    Shivnarine Chanderpaul (WI),
    Matt Prior (Eng, wk),
    Stuart Broad (Eng),
    Saeed Ajmal (Pkn),
    Vernon Philander (SA),
    Dale Steyn (SA).
    12th Man - AB de Villiers (SA)

England trio in the last 12 months:

Cook's Test averages: 58 v India, 26.50 v Pakistan, 52.33 v Sri Lanka, 44 v West Indies, 32.50 v South Aftica

Prior's Test averages: 67.75 v India, 37.50 v Pakistan, 19.66 v Sri Lanka, 17.50 v West Indies, 45.83 v South Africa. Catches/stumpings: 31/6

Broad's Test bowling figures: 25-446 v India, 13-266 v Pakistan, 2-104 v Sri Lanka, 14-304 v West Indies, 11-437 v South Africa

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/19420438
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    30 Aug '12 15:482 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Hayden was as tough and gritty as they come, onfield at any rate.
    And also quite sporting at the same time, I think.

I remember two moments in the 2005 Oval test match. The first was when Pietersen was out, having saved the game, and Shane Warne made a point of walking over to congratulate him. Great to see that, but I can't help thinking that Shane Warne was aware that everyone would see how sporting he was being, thereby grabbing a bit of the limelight for himself.

Rewind to when Hayden was holding up England's progress to reclaiming the Ashes and Aus were looking like building a huge first innings lead (they were about 300 for 3) which could give them a chance to win the game and square the series. I think it was Flintoff who had him LBW with a beautiful inswinging delivery. As Hayden walked off, knowing that this might get England back into it, I just glimpsed him passing Flintoff, nodding to him and saying something like 'Good ball, mate'. I barely saw it, and I doubt anyone in the ground could have seen it. But in some ways it impressed me a lot more.

The whole 2005 series was just what professional sport should be. Uncompromising during play on the field, but also respect and sportmanship at other times.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Aug '12 19:211 edit
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    And also quite sporting at the same time, I think.

I remember two moments in the 2005 Oval test match. The first was when Pietersen was out, having saved the game, and Shane Warne made a point of walking over to congratulate him. Great to see that, but I can't help thinking that Shane Warne was aware that everyone would see how sporting he Uncompromising during play on the field, but also respect and sportmanship at other times.
    I choose for my wicket keeper - Brendon McCullum, what have you to say for your
    heroes now?
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 05:21
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    heroes now?
    I'd go with him. A slasher wicketkeeper is the go. There are enough wicket blockers above and below the wicketkeeper..
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Oct '12 10:09
    heroes now?
    McCullum for tests? Not a chance.

I'd want a wicket KEEPER there, not an explosive batsman who can catch more than he drops. You need a solid keeper in tests. If he can bat it's a bonus, not a requirement.
  7. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Oct '12 15:01
    Originally posted by Crowley

I'd want a wicket KEEPER there, not an explosive batsman who can catch more than he drops. You need a solid keeper in tests. If he can bat it's a bonus, not a requirement.
    Actually, I think choosing a wicket keeper who cannot bat solely on the basis of wicket keeping ability is a luxury which few teams can afford.

This is not a new development. Alan Knott was often preferred to Bob Taylor as his batting average, though hardly stunning, was almost double that of Taylors (although arguably the better glove man).

So, providing the player meets a certain level of wicket-keeping ability, the batting is a requirement, and almost any test wicket keeper will lose his place if his batting average drops too low.

Of course, in an 'All time Test XI', then I agree that you could probably choose the best wickie, on the basis that the top order is so strong.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Oct '12 20:36
    Originally posted by Crowley

pick a team Crowley, it should be interesting.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Oct '12 20:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    ICC Test Team 2012:

Alastair Cook (Eng),
    Hashim Amla (SA),
    Kumar Sangakkara (SL),
    Jacques Kallis (SA),
    Michael Clarke (Aus, capt),
    Shivnarine Chanderpaul (WI),
    Matt Prior (Eng, wk),
    Stuart Broad (Eng),
    Saeed Ajmal (Pkn),
    Vernon Philander (SA),
    Dale Steyn (SA).
    12th Man - AB de Villiers (SA)

England trio in the last 12 months:

Cook ...[text shortened]... 14-304 v West Indies, 11-437 v South Africa

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/19420438
    Sangakkara, pure legend!
  10. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 07:192 edits
    pick a team Crowley, it should be interesting.
    Rahul Dravid
    Matthew Hayden
    Sachin Tendulkar
    Brian Lara
    Jacques Kallis
    Adam Gilchrist
    Wasim Akram
    Richard Hadlee
    Shane Warne
    Murali
    Glenn Mcgrath

With Dale Steyn, Kumar Sangakkara and Ricky Ponting in the squad.

I also like the idea of Jonty as the permanent 12th man for his fielding though. Shame, he probably needs more recognition for what he did for SA cricket, but I suppose having him as a dedicated fielder does tip the hat enough 😛

Maybe Gavaskar as opener in place of Dravid? I always thought Dravid would make a great opener though. I didn't really see Gavaskar play, but I know he's rated very high. I can only make choices on guys I saw play though.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree