1. CA, USA
    Moves
    21 Jul '07 12:51
    I've always felt that sport betting was a suckers game for just this reason.
    How easy is it for one guy .. say a referee, umpire or such, to manipulate the point spread?
    How easy is it to corrupt one guy?

Who didn't know this? ...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jack_mccallum/07/20/ref.scandal/index.html?eref=si_topstories
  2. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jul '07 13:24
    Originally posted by jammer
    I've always felt that sport betting was a suckers game for just this reason.
    How easy is it for one guy .. say a referee, umpire or such, to manipulate the point spread?
    How easy is it to corrupt one guy?

Who didn't know this? ...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jack_mccallum/07/20/ref.scandal/index.html?eref=si_topstories
    Pretty damn easy I think. Sport is rife with cheats and gamblers at all levels it seems.
  3. Joined
    04 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '07 13:35
    Originally posted by Frank Burns
    [b]Pretty damn easy I think.
    Particularly in the NBA. So many points scored. So many meaningless games played. It would be so easy to make a bad call or two late in a Hawks vs Grizzlies game and have no one take notice of it.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    21 Jul '07 14:28
    Originally posted by searcy1977
    Particularly in the NBA. So many points scored. So many meaningless games played. It would be so easy to make a bad call or two late in a Hawks vs Grizzlies game and have no one take notice of it.
    Particularly in the NBA you say? Why, because the latest cheating ref comes from the NBA?

What about pass interference? What about calling a player out at home? Any Ref or ump in any sport can manipulate a game for purposes of point spreads or who wins.

We just don't know who they are.

Patriots got a pass interference called on them last year during the playoffs when by the book it really wasn't. They said the player blocked his vision, but the word of the rule says something about contact (there was none) and also the defender wasn't looking at the reciever, he was looking at the ball.

It was either a bad call, or a ref was manipulating the game.

P-
  5. Joined
    04 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '07 14:54
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Any Ref or ump in any sport can manipulate a game for purposes of point spreads or who wins.
    I agree. I also believe a run in baseball or a touchdown in football are more important than a single point in a basketball game- hence they garner more attention and are less likely to be manipulated- and making a bad call in football doesn't necessarily get anyone into the endzone, but blowing the whistle for a bogus foul can certainly get someone to the freethrow line.
  6. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 01:24
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Particularly in the NBA you say? Why, because the latest cheating ref comes from the NBA?

What about pass interference? What about calling a player out at home? Any Ref or ump in any sport can manipulate a game for purposes of point spreads or who wins.

We just don't know who they are.

Patriots got a pass interference called on them last year d ...[text shortened]... s looking at the ball.

It was either a bad call, or a ref was manipulating the game.

P-
    No doubt. Just look at Super Bowl XL.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree