1. Blighty
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 23:14
    ..... I caught some of the World Championships today and there appears to be a huge debate over the swimming outfits being worn and the fact that they can improve the overall times achievable. I then heard that they are going to be banned - can anybody tell me why please?

Is it not the same as when wooden tennis racquets were replaced by graphite (or whatever is used now)?

Or the improvement in the clothes on snooker tables meaning a greater number of 147 breaks is made?

Whats the beef?

Thanks all.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 00:01
    Originally posted by Surtism
    ..... I caught some of the World Championships today and there appears to be a huge debate over the swimming outfits being worn and the fact that they can improve the overall times achievable. I then heard that they are going to be banned - can anybody tell me why please?

Is it not the same as when wooden tennis racquets were replaced by graphite (or wha ...[text shortened]... snooker tables meaning a greater number of 147 breaks is made?

Whats the beef?

Thanks all.
    Buoyancy it seems. Both the Arena suit and the Speedo LZR appear to improve speeds artificially according to FINA. I'm with you, but different sports different governing bosies, different standards. I could wear oe of thsi things and my speed of 30' foe 750 yards would be the same. So, I don't quite get it either.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 03:091 edit

Is it not the same as when wooden tennis racquets were replaced by graphite (or wha ...[text shortened]... snooker tables meaning a greater number of 147 breaks is made?

Whats the beef?

Thanks all.
    Better swimsuits are fine, as long as everyone has access to them, making it a level playing field. Otherwise, the competition is simply your suit against my suit, not you against me.
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 14:45
    Originally posted by sh76
    Better swimsuits are fine, as long as everyone has access to them, making it a level playing field. Otherwise, the competition is simply your suit against my suit, not you against me.
    I agree -- when technology advances at a rapid pace, you could go into a major race focusing more on the technology than the talent of the swimmers. What would have happened if the current controversy had occurred last year at the olympics?

A major problem is occurring at the lower levels of the sport where kids whose families are willing and able to pay $1000 for a swimsuit have a major advantage over the others. It's also hurting colleges and clubs that don't have large budgets to fund suits for their team. Over time. this will discourage a lot of talented and hard-working young people from pursuing the sport.

I say -- everyone must wear a swimsuit that could have been produced 20 years ago, and let the swimmers themselves decide who wins.
  5. London
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 17:12

Whats the beef?

Thanks all.
    Basically, the suits that some of the swimmers are wearing now are made wholly of poly-something or other and not stitched together, made of one piece, meaning that as well as making them more aerodynamic, and therefore faster, they also hold air between the suit and the swimming, giving them slightly more buoyancy, raising them up slightly more in the water and also making them go faster.

This is proven by a few days ago when Phelps' world record was smashed by a relative unknown who 11 months ago was something like 4 or 5 seconds slower, but has suddenly sped up with this new suit.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 23:312 edits
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I agree -- when technology advances at a rapid pace, you could go into a major race focusing more on the technology than the talent of the swimmers. What would have happened if the current controversy had occurred last year at the olympics?

A major problem is occurring at the lower levels of the sport where kids whose families are willing and able to p t that could have been produced 20 years ago, and let the swimmers themselves decide who wins.
    What would have happened if the current controversy had occurred last year at the olympics?

I seemed to remember a similar controversy for Beijing. I found this:
    http://www.mg.co.za/article/2008-04-22-swimsuit-controversy-hots-up-ahead-of-games

It reads in part:
    "Some had argued the suit broke Fina rules because it combines a polyurethane layer with a layer of normal fabric."

The current furor seems to smack of hypocrisy.
  7. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 04:48
    ban all togs - skinny dipping is best .. lets out the wiggly bits

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree