1. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '10 17:49
    Originally posted by blade68
    My BS information comes from one of your countrymen actually!
    He was born and brought up in Durban and lived in SA for 40 years before moving to England 5 years ago....

Maybe he's a liar eh?
    No idea if he's right or not...but I would point out that lots of British people regularly spout rubbish about Britain. Living in a place doesn't make you right about it.
  2. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 07:15
    Maybe he's a liar eh?
    Maybe. Or possibly he's just one of those panicky idiots who believe every bad rumour?
    Hell, maybe he was even the victim of crime. Then I can understand someone emigrating.

But badmouthing an entire country and generalizing its people and society is disingenuous.

What about all the English expats here in South Africa - and there are many of them - who left because of your crappy weather?
    Should I believe, through them, that English weather is dreary rain and snot ALL THE TIME?

What about the ones who left because they hated Thatcher?
    Should I now infer that the English left there are a bunch of iron-fisted racist and xenophobic idiots?
  3. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 07:35
    Originally posted by spurs73
    i think giving SA the WC was a bad idea in the 1st place TBH but the world is PC mad now.
    The world is PC mad? So in your opinion that's the only reason there can possibly be that SA got the WC? Christ...

So, the fact that SA has now hosted - very successfully - rugby and cricket World Cups, an African Cup of Nations and a Confederations Cup had nothing to do with FIFA's decision?
    Bringing the WC to the second biggest FIFA confederation also had nothing to do with it, eh?

Like I said earlier:
    Don't you think a poorer continent, and especially Sub-Saharan African people, should also get the chance to go see some WC games live, which almost none can afford when the competition is played anywhere else?

Or is global football only counted as Europe, plus a few other countries in your world?
  4. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 09:26
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Maybe. Or possibly he's just one of those panicky idiots who believe every bad rumour? Hell, maybe he was even the victim of crime. Then I can understand someone emigrating.
    I've noticed this a lot with people that have gone over to the UK.

About half of them left because of the politics and the crime so they badmouth South Africa every chance they get. The other half left for work or miscellaneous reasons. Then after a year the ones who aren't badmouthing South Africa are watching the news and feeling nostalgic, and we hear these dramatic, exaggerated stories from them about all these ridiculous things that are happening in South Africa because they learn everything from British media and are so far away that they've lost touch with the reality of living here.

My sister worked down the street from where one of the bombs went off during the 7/7 London bombings.

Lived in SA since birth, I have never been a victim of crime before in my life, nor have I heard a terrorist bomb go off.
  5. 6yd box
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 11:34
    Originally posted by hopscotch

About half of them left because of the politics and the crime so they badmouth South Africa every chance they get. The other half left for work or miscellaneous reasons. Then after a year the ones who aren't badmouthing South Africa are watching the news and feeling nostalgic, and we hea ...[text shortened]... ave never been a victim of crime before in my life, nor have I heard a terrorist bomb go off.
    these r excellant points- there is a tendency to hear some 'bad news' from afar and think that everone in the country is affected. Your example of the 7/7 bombing incident was a good point.

Many ppl i knew who dont live in the UK were worried for me- but it did not effect me on the day. There is a lot of things go on everywhere and not everyone is a victime.
  6. 6yd box
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 11:38
    [b]The world is PC mad? So in your opinion that's the only reason there can possibly be that SA got the WC? Christ...
    all I was saying is that the country is still not 100% stable...giving them a big sporting event does not solve all its problems.

However i take your point about all the other sporting events SA have hosted over the last 10 years- and i WITHDREW my post.

I think the media as usual are going a LITTLE overboard with the nagative side, as they always do and maybe I too fell for it
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 13:44
    Originally posted by spurs73
    all I was saying is that the country is still not 100% stable...giving them a big sporting event does not solve all its problems.

However i take your point about all the other sporting events SA have hosted over the last 10 years- and i WITHDREW my post.

I think the media as usual are going a LITTLE overboard with the nagative side, as they always do and maybe I too fell for it
    Which country is?

Your apology is accepted.

Seriously man, this is a beautiful country and you should come for a visit.
    Crime is a problem - but it's definitely not 'out of control' as some media and people would have you believe. Keep your wits about you and you'll be fine, like in any major city in the world.
  8. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 14:311 edit
    Originally posted by hopscotch

About half of them left because of the politics and the crime so they badmouth South Africa every chance they get. The other half left for work or miscellaneous reasons. Then after a year the ones who aren't badmouthing South Africa are watching the news and feeling nostalgic, and we hea ave never been a victim of crime before in my life, nor have I heard a terrorist bomb go off.
    We have Dutch passports (shhhh, don't tell Home Affairs), so my brother has been living in London for almost a decade.
    He's been mugged once, and robbed (I think) three times, had beer bottle broken over his head in a club and his wallet was pick-pocketed on a tube. All in London.
    His golf shoes were stolen in the USA, his watch was taken in Thailand and his shades in Slovenia.

My mother had a petty thief run off with her purse once - that's been all crime our family has been exposed to here.

You should hear him bitch about England.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 14:33
    Should I believe, through them, that English weather is dreary rain and snot ALL THE TIME?
    Yes.
  10. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 17:46

He's been mugged once, and robbed (I think) three times, had beer bottle broken over his head in a club and his wallet was pick-pocketed on a tube. All in London.

You should hear him bitch about England.[/b]
    Sorry to hear about your brothers unfortunate London exploits, but I'd like to point out that our capital city is full of bloody foreigners!!
    A female friend of mine got marched to a cashpoint by two knife-wielding Eastern Europeans only last week.... in London!

I do believe I've opened up a bit of a hornets nest here...

😵
  11. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 17:48

What about all the English expats here in South Africa - and there are many of them - who left because of your crappy weather?

What about the ones who left because they hated Thatcher?
    Should I now infer that the English left there are a bunch of iron-fisted racist and xenophobic idiots?[/b]
    Believe what you like mate, everyone's entitled to their opinion!
  12. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 20:071 edit
    Believe what you like mate, everyone's entitled to their opinion!
    Sure, we all are. Yours is unfortunately wrong and uninformed.

You're welcome 😏
  13. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 20:09
    Sorry to hear about your brothers unfortunate London exploits, but I'd like to point out that our capital city is full of bloody foreigners!!
    A female friend of mine got marched to a cashpoint by two knife-wielding Eastern Europeans only last week.... in London!

I do believe I've opened up a bit of a hornets nest here...

😵
    I see you're one of those Thatcher supporters...
  14. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 21:29
    I see you're one of those Thatcher supporters...
    Off topic, but felt I needed to reply:

At the time Maggie was in power, I thought she was the devil...but as I've got older, and seen my homeland become a doormat for Europe's waifs and strays to pitch up and dump on, and seen this once great and proud nation become weak and run by the chinless do-gooders... I can see now how Maggie was actually right!

It's easy to sit there behind a laptop and lambast people for having differing opinions to ones own - it's even easier to populate threads with posts that are politically correct, so that you curry favour with other posters.

My opinions may differ from the majority, but at least I'm prepared to put my point of view across and not just spout pc claptrap, and just because I differ, doesn't mean I'm wrong - there are always two sides to every story.
  15. Standard memberVirtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 21:31
    At least Thatcher cared about her country.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree