1. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 13:35
    Originally posted by Palynka
    So you're ignorant that pride is actually seen as a positive emotion in psychology, correct?
    No, I believe that it shouldn't be seen as a positive emotion in psychology.

I still agree that good things can come from it though.

Like if Bill Gates gets AIDS, then finds a cure for AIDS using all of his money, then Bill Gates getting AIDS was a good thing. That doesn't make AIDS a good thing.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 13:443 edits
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    No, I believe that it shouldn't be seen as a positive emotion in psychology.

I still agree that good things can come from it though.

Like if Bill Gates gets AIDS, then finds a cure for AIDS using all of his money, then Bill Gates getting AIDS was a good thing. That doesn't make AIDS a good thing.
    Ok, let me step back.

You're obviously more knowledgeable than me in psychology issues (as shown by a previous discussion). Still, you're just asserting stuff and I'm not convinced.

Since I'm a newbie, I google. I try to go to relatively serious places like Google Scholar and pick published articles and all I find about pride are published articles talking about pride as a positive emotion and mostly based on the work of Barbara Fredrickson and something called broaden-and-build theory. She looks like a respected scholar from what I found.

Moreover, all seem to use hubris when talking about the sense of destructive pride and reserve the word pride as a positive emotion. I'm even accepting that pride can mean both in our everyday language and not going that far (which they probably do for technical reasons).

This all makes perfect sense to me and it would be nice to see a compelling argument against it. I also don't see why a sense of self-gratification is necessarily delusional. If I see my grandmother chasing down a thief, I know it isn't me, I know I'm not doing anything personally, yet I feel a sense of self-gratification because I feel I am part of a group for which we share common resources, goals and affection (my family). Why is this being delusional?
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 14:06
    Dude, you're missing the point: pride is not in itself
    a "bad" emotion. The key is: what is the source of
    pride?

Anger is not a "bad" emotion either. The attention must
    be placed on its source and its management.

Same goes for pride.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 14:10
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Dude, you're missing the point: pride is not in itself
    a "bad" emotion. The key is: what is the source of
    pride?

Same goes for pride.
    I tend to agree, but I don't see how that goes in favour of your point or how that contradicts anything I wrote in the post above.
  5. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 14:17
    Ok, let me step back.

You're obviously more knowledgeable than me in psychology issues (as shown by a previous discussion). Still, you're just asserting stuff and I'm not convinced.

Since I'm a newbie, I google. I try to go to relatively serious places like Google Scholar and pick published articles and all I find about pride are published articles tal ...[text shortened]... e share common resources, goals and affection (my family). Why is this being delusional?
    I agree that inspiring positive emotions in people is a good thing, however pride is more like a drug that sets you up to experience even more negative emotions in the future when things aren't going well.

Extreme example: "I used to be the best guitarist ever, then I lost my hand in a tragic sewing machine accident and now my life is ruined so I'm going to drink myself to death."

Also take into account that a lot of these published psychologists are also American and I don't mean to be critical of Americans but they have a crazily intimate relationship with pride, so the definitions get blurred, like you noticed.

As for the example of the grandmother and the thief. You have a perception of what she did that differs from her perception of what she did, and the thief has yet another perception of the events. To find the absolute reality of what occurred you would need to strip away all emotion from all of the players. You might be proud that your elderly relative stood up for herself. She might be proud that she handled the situation better than she expected. The thief might be embarrassed that he lost to an old lady. All of these emotions cloud the simplicity, and possibly the real truth of what occurred. <insert unlimited possibilities>

It's difficult to actually live by these high standards and constant unemotional thinking. I couldn't do it myself, but I am very wary of feeling pride, which I consider to be one of the worst things about people. It's a timebomb.
  6. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 14:19
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Anger is not an emotion itself, but an accumulation of suppressed emotion.
  7. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 14:19
    Is this the weirdest Sports thread ever?
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 14:25
    I agree that inspiring positive emotions in people is a good thing, however pride is more like a drug that sets you up to experience even more negative emotions in the future when things aren't going well.

Extreme example: "I used to be the best guitarist ever, then I lost my hand in a tragic sewing machine accident and now my life is ruined so I'm goin ...[text shortened]... ing pride, which I consider to be one of the worst things about people. It's a timebomb.
    It works fine for me. 😏

I don't see why stripping away all emotion is a "good thing", though. Love or affection could be said to all cloud "simplicity and real truth" yet nobody is arguing that they're bad.

Thanks for your comments, but I'm still more convinced by the articles I looked at. Also, they mention (with some empirical evidence) that pride can actually be helpful in tragedy because a positive sense of self-worth can also be a motivation to overcome new obstacles, which seems to go against the guitar example.

Shall we agree to disagree?
  9. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 14:32
    It works fine for me. 😏

I don't see why stripping away all emotion is a "good thing", though. Love or affection could be said to all cloud "simplicity and real truth" yet nobody is arguing that they're bad.

Thanks for your comments, but I'm still more convinced by the articles I looked at. Also, they mention (with some empirical evidence) that pride c ...[text shortened]... w obstacles, which seems to go against the guitar example.

Shall we agree to disagree?
    Yes, I could go on an idealistic tour de force if I had the inclination but there's no point really.

Stripping away all emotion would make life boring, but less violent. I'm content with the way things are now.

Agreeing to disagree sounds fine, this could go on forever and get nowhere.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 14:341 edit
    Yes, I could go on an idealistic tour de force if I had the inclination but there's no point really.

Stripping away all emotion would make life boring, but less violent. I'm content with the way things are now.

Agreeing to disagree sounds fine, this could go on forever and get nowhere.
    Cool, thanks for the most thought-provoking Sports thread EVAH! 🙂
  11. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 14:471 edit
    Is this the weirdest Sports thread ever?
    Yeah, I forgot I wanted to move this to Debates, will do so now...

Or does this actually matter? It will get more responses in Debates, I think...
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 14:55
    Originally posted by Crowley

Just let it die in peace here. The original was about the WC perspectives.
  13. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 14:59

We can't move every thread that goes off topic now can we?
  14. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 15:04
    Anger is not an emotion itself, but an accumulation of suppressed emotion.
    Pwnd! Damn it!

No! Your STUPIED!~
  15. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 15:15
    LOL, did you take debate lessons from Very Rusty?

At least 12 year olds know when they're wrong and can admit it.
    yawn-yawn

😴

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree