1. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 14:16
    Any thoughts on Texas A&M going to the SEC, and the associated resulting realignment of conferences?

From the NY Times:

". . . the college sports world [is] bracing for the possibility of a huge realignment thanks to Texas A&M’s potential move to the Southeastern Conference from the Big 12. . . . it is likely to happen. [T]he Big 12 [has] already formed an expansion committee to find a replacement for Texas A&M. . . .

The college sports world is now fixated on whether Texas A&M can jump through the legal hoops it needs to leave the Big 12 for the SEC, and . . . who will eventually join them."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/25/sports/ncaafootball/if-texas-am-is-secs-13th-team-whos-no-14.html
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 15:47
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Any thoughts on Texas A&M going to the SEC, and the associated resulting realignment of conferences?

From the NY Times:

". . . the college sports world [is] bracing for the possibility of a huge realignment thanks to Texas A&M’s potential move to the Southeastern Conference from the Big 12. . . . it is likely to happen. [T]he Big 12 [has] already form ...[text shortened]... //www.nytimes.com/2011/08/25/sports/ncaafootball/if-texas-am-is-secs-13th-team-whos-no-14.html
    This would be the dumbest move the aggies ever made for a multitude of reasons.

Jeff Foxworthy might say it this way.

If you are tired of perpetually losing out to Texas, OU and Nebraska
    (hint...nebraska is gone now) but you think your chances of winning are easier
    only having to play LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Arkansas, Tennessee
    et al, you may be an aggie.

If you believe any team in the SEC would produce a greater rival for you than
    the University of Texas, then you may be an aggie.

If you think you are making more money splitting up that SEC pie without first
    considering the additional costs of transportation and the limitations of hardship
    placed on your traveling fan base, you may be an aggie.

If you think your recruiting base is going to improve because you are in the SEC
    in lieu of the big 12, you may be an aggie. Your campus is still in College Station,
    the armpit of Texas.

Good riddance if you leave aggies. I will personally forward my condolences to
    each of the SEC schools fror accepting you bunch of whiners. I will also show them
    how to properly decorate your helmets for you.

eaTme

Gig'em!!!!
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 16:51
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    This would be the dumbest move the aggies ever made for a multitude of reasons.
    Whether it is a dumb move or not is moot because it is going to happen.

The talk is that Missouri will go with A&M to the SEC. And that SEC also wants Florida St and Clemson to make it a total of 16.

With A&M leaving the Big 12, Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. will likely leave also. Some say to the PAC 10. And that Texas will go independent or stay and try to build back the Big 12.
  4. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 16:55
    An article written earlier this year suggesting A&M should go SEC.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/27/texas-aandm-bolting-to-the-sec-is-just-a-matter-of-time/

An excerpt:

". . . A&M in the SEC would be able to market itself as the SEC team in Texas, the lone opportunity for hotshot Texas recruits to play in the best football conference in America.

Right now, what distinguishes A&M from Texas in the eyes of the average high schooler?

Not much, right?

But could Texas A&M plus the conference cachet of the SEC challenge the Longhorns for in-state superiority while at the same time placing A&M on a similar national plane? I think so. Wouldn't entering a recruit's living room and selling him on an experience that no one else in Texas can have -- that is, stay in the state close to home but play the most football mad schools in the country on a regular basis -- be incredibly beneficial to the school? Put it this way, do kids dream of traveling to Alabama or Iowa State? Florida or Kansas State? LSU or Missouri?

Plus, it would open up the fertile recruiting fields of the south to A&M. The cross-pollination between the south and Texas, Texas and the south, would be beneficial in both directions."
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 17:561 edit
    An article written earlier this year suggesting A&M should go SEC.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/27/texas-aandm-bolting-to-the-sec-is-just-a-matter-of-time/

An excerpt:

". . . A&M in the SEC would be able to market itself as the SEC team in Texas, the lone opportunity for hotshot Texas recruits to play in the best football conference in A n between the south and Texas, Texas and the south, would be beneficial in both directions."
    You are out of your ya-ya's here friend.

I hope Missouri leaves with the aggies.
    I see the Oklahoma schools staying put.
    I see the probable additions of TCU & Houston to the mix
    Possible addition of SMU and BYU as well.

The state of Texas is one of the three greatest hotbeds of talent anywhere in the country.
    If the aggies playing in state can't recruit here, why would they be any better recruiting
    because they are in the SEC? If a kid wants to play in the SEC, why not go to an SEC
    school with a better track record?
    The aggies are jealous as hell of Texas and they are tired of always being second best.
    They will never be top dogs in the SEC either.

If the aggies leave the conference, I would like to see the state of Texas allow UT to stop paying the aggies their annual support check from the endowment fund.
    Watch how fast the aggies suck wind on that one!!!
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 23:18

The state of Texas is one of the three greatest hotbeds of talent anywhere in the country.
    If the aggies playing in state can ...[text shortened]... ual support check from the endowment fund.
    TCU is moving to the Big East next year.
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    26 Aug '11 00:29
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    TCU is moving to the Big East next year.
    Given the choice of playing in the Big 12, they might just reconsider.

From what I hear, they would jump at the chance.
    Geographically it makes much more sense for them.
    Economically it would make sense as well.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '11 01:55

From the NY Times:

". . . the college sports world [is] bracing for the possibility of a huge realignment thanks to Texas A&M’s potential move to the Southeastern Conference from the Big 12. . . . it is likely to happen. [T]he Big 12 [has] already form ...[text shortened]... //www.nytimes.com/2011/08/25/sports/ncaafootball/if-texas-am-is-secs-13th-team-whos-no-14.html
    Finally, an SEC team everyone can beat.
  9. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    29 Aug '11 10:44
    Originally posted by whodey
    Finally, an SEC team everyone can beat.
    You don't follow the SEC, do you....I have one word for you. Vanderbuilt.
  10. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    29 Aug '11 22:41
    Originally posted by Badwater
    You don't follow the SEC, do you....I have one word for you. Vanderbuilt.
    You mean Vanderbilt???? And they aren't always the doormat.
    Remember, a few years ago, the same could be said for Oregon.
  11. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Aug '11 09:56
    You mean Vanderbilt???? And they aren't always the doormat.
    Remember, a few years ago, the same could be said for Oregon.
    25 years is more than a few, unless you mean Oregon St. 😛
  12. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Aug '11 10:47
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6907754/texas-notifies-big-12-leave-conference

Pretty much a done deal. The only bickering (and it will be extended bickering) will be about money.

This will be a nasty divorce. Think McCartney - Mills.

I predict that, for better or worse, we'll eventually see OK and TX in a Pac-16. It'll take some time for TX to understand that they simply cannot go it alone, but that's my eventual prediction. Why? Larry Scott will come up with a money deal that they can't refuse.
  13. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    30 Aug '11 12:212 edits

If the aggies playing in state can ual support check from the endowment fund.
    First, Nebraska and Colorado left. Then A&M. Now Oklahoma and Oklahoma St are talking going PAC 10. Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, and Missouri are gone from the Big 12, that's for sure. That leaves the Big 6.

BIG 6
    Baylor
    Texas Tech
    Iowa St
    Kansas
    Kansas St
    UT

And no other conference will accept UT because of the Longhorn Network.

Thus, after the Big 12 implodes, UT will go independent (and make alot of money with ESPN).

A&M, win or lose, will be in the best football conference in the country.
  14. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    30 Aug '11 12:23
    A current update from the NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/30/sports/ncaafootball/texas-am-closer-to-withdrawing-from-big-12.html

August 29, 2011
    Texas A&M’s departure from the Big 12 Conference drew closer to reality on Monday when the university’s president, R. Bowen Loftin, sent a letter to the Big 12 board chairman, the Missouri chancellor Brady Deaton, notifying the league that the Aggies would formally withdraw — very likely on Tuesday — according to two college officials with direct knowledge of the decision.

This latest step in the Aggies’ effort to join the Southeastern Conference appears to have two stumbling blocks. The first is Texas A&M’s exit fee from the Big 12, which it has not negotiated. That amount is expected to be close to $15 million. The other is the approval of the S.E.C. presidents. Nine of the 12 would have to vote in favor for Texas A&M to become a member of the conference. It is unlikely that Texas A&M would be this far along in the process without adequate S.E.C. presidential support.

Texas A&M hopes to play in the S.E.C. during the 2012 football season, which would appear to leave the conference with a mathematically clunky 13 teams for one year.
  15. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    30 Aug '11 12:323 edits

If the aggies playing in state can't recruit here, why would they be any better recruiting
    because they are in the SEC? If a kid wants to play in the SEC, why not go to an SEC
    school with a better track record?
    The aggies are jealous as hell of Texas and they are tired of always being second best.
    You miss the point with regard to recruiting. A&M will be the only SEC school in the state. And the top recruits in the state will get to stay close to home at A&M and play in the best football conference in the country.

These Texas kids can stay close to home and play in the Big 12, or go with A&M in the SEC. Do these Texas kids dream of traveling to Alabama or Iowa State? Florida or Kansas State? LSU or Missouri?

All agree that A&M's in-state recruiting will be enhanced by being in the SEC. Plus, the southeast US recruiting will open more up to A&M being in the SEC.

And with regard to A&M being competitive with U Texas, consider:

A&M is 3-2 versus UT the last 5 years.
    A&M is 9-11 versus UT the last 20 years.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree