1. Subscriberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 19:492 edits
    The idea is that Argentina be added to the 6 nations, it has been bandied about because most of the Argentinian team are based in Spain (so they said), and they are a worthy side in need of a few decent games....Good idea, or Bad idea ?

Oh yeah, this isn't a dig at Englands performance at the weekend, this is a serious debate that is going on in the Rugby union world right now.
  2. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 21:28
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    The idea is that Argentina be added to the 6 nations, it has been bandied about because most of the Argentinian team are based in Spain (so they said), and they are a worthy side in need of a few decent games....Good idea, or Bad idea ?

Oh yeah, this isn't a dig at Englands performance at the weekend, this is a serious debate that is going on in the Rugby union world right now.
    Makes some sense. They're certainly good enough, and have been for some time. I was wondering why the suggestion was joining the six nations rather than the three nations - seemed more sensible joining a southern hemisphere competition. The Spanish base would explain it.

The main problems I can see with it are:
    - travel, if Argentina play half their games at home
    - English clubs kicking up a stink over another extention to the international calendar
  3. Subscriberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 21:48
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Makes some sense. They're certainly good enough, and have been for some time. I was wondering why the suggestion was joining the six nations rather than the three nations - seemed more sensible joining a southern hemisphere competition. The Spanish base would explain it.

The main problems I can see with it are:
    - travel, if Argentina play half their gam ...[text shortened]... t home
    - English clubs kicking up a stink over another extention to the international calendar
    I think that the idea would be that they would base themselves in Madrid for the duration of the competition, making that their home ground. . .as for the southern hemisphere question, i'm not quite sure.

My reservation is where it will end, and how long before the 4/5/6/7 nations becomes a farce of what it used to be, and cease being the prestigous entity it is ?
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 06:24
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound

I think Argentina should first put their house in order before trying to get into more internationals. The fact that most of their players are based in Spain tells me that there must be "problems" with their local leagues. Maybe their players just get paid better in Europe?
    Maybe they should rather try to get into the super 12 competition, to be able to build up a bit more depth in their rugby first, and it makes sense then to move on to the 3 nations.
    South Africa have the same problem with our soccer. We have a lot of players playing in the European leagues, and allthough it must be very good experience for them, and i'm sure they learn a lot, the top players stays the top players, which isn't neccesarily a good thing.