1. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 16:28
    Originally posted by Red Night
    EVEN your OWN newspapers were calling Bradman "The Babe Ruth of Cricket" at least as early as the 1930s.
    The link you posted to that clearly stated source unknown. Therefore it could have been [i]an American newspaper[i].
  2. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 17:331 edit
    Originally posted by Ian68
    The link you posted to that clearly stated source unknown. Therefore it could have been [i]an American newspaper[i].
    Just read the text. That is not an American Newspaper.

What the heck is a Babe of the Willows?
  3. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    07 Dec '06 14:351 edit
    We've been talking about two famous early contests between Baseball players and Cricketeers.

When the English cricketeers came to Boston in 1868 to give an exposition of Cricket, they also played a baseball game which they lost 20-4.

In that game they used an American Shortstop, George Wright as their pitcher, not feeling competent to do it themselves.

George is half of the famous Wright Brothers. (No, not those Wright brothers.) George and Harry Wright founded the first professional baseball team in 1869, the Cincinnati Red Stockings. George was baseball's first star.

Later in life he owned and operated a sporting goods star in Boston. One day in 1913 he gave his young salesman the day off (actually a couple of days) to go play a little golf at Brookline Country Club.

That salesman was Francis Ouimet and the event was the 1913 US Open which Ouimet won over Harry Vardon.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree