1. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 21:07
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Andy Gray is my favourite sports commentator. I think he gets most things right, and [b]wouldn't say that. 🙂

D[/b]
    He did last year when the same fixtures occurred on the same day (Sunday, September 17, 2006 - even earlier than this season!!). I actually remember cringing as he pronounced that the title race would be virtually over for the two teams that lost, one of which turned out to be the Trafford Bowl Packers (and I can't remember where they eventually finished).
  2. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 23:53
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    I bet that Sky Sports will overhype the arse off of Sunday 16th Dec (Arse v Chels, LFC v Manure), calling it something like 'The Weekend Of Destiny', complete with gravelly-voiced announcer and loud KABLAMMO sound effects. I bet Andy Gray will sit there, looking like a cat who's found a huge bath tub literally overflowing with cream, and will proclaim, w ...[text shortened]... et that LFC win and Arse v Chels will be a draw (and Manure will be out of the title race) 🙂
    Excellent post LFC...!!! I had to smile at that one.... I must confess that I do like Andy Gray though!

However, Jeff Stelling is simply the best presenter on TV at the moment..... the way he makes a 14th minute goal for Yeovil sound like he's wetting his pants is priceless! He can make the most mundane game in the world sound like an epic encounter... top man!
  3. LA
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 05:03
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    The worst odds I can find for ManUtd and Arsenal are 11/8 which is slightly better than 5/4. You can find Chelsea as low as 3/1 and Liverpool at 11/2, strange that you chose to quote the best price available for Liverpool whilst quoting the narrowest you could find (which I can't) for Utd.
    Its the odds that were quoted on Fox Soccer Channel (USA Station).

I actually do think the odds are wrong.
    Chelsea at 5/1 is a good bet, who knows who they will buy.
    United and Arsenal at 5/4 sound about right to me.

Liverpool at 13/2 is a decent bet if you are a Liverpool supporter.
    Personally I think Liverpool will fall away but I will admit they look much stronger than I expected.
    Who knows, if they can get 4 points from Arsenal and United in the coming games, 13/2 looks like a very good price.
  4. LA
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 05:05
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    I bet that Sky Sports will overhype the arse off of Sunday 16th Dec (Arse v Chels, LFC v Manure), calling it something like 'The Weekend Of Destiny', complete with gravelly-voiced announcer and loud KABLAMMO sound effects. I bet Andy Gray will sit there, looking like a cat who's found a huge bath tub literally overflowing with cream, and will proclaim, w ...[text shortened]... et that LFC win and Arse v Chels will be a draw (and Manure will be out of the title race) 🙂
    I've heard that record for 18 years and counting.............
  5. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 07:57
    Originally posted by Doyle78
    Zonal marking is marking space my friend...Bradford adopted it under Paul Jewell and got destroyed. Its very easy with man marking to say it wasnt my man. With the zonal system, a manager can simply say, it was in your area..therefore simply your fault. Managers look for scapegoats.
    If it such an efficient system why do so few teams adopt it?
    John OShea, R ...[text shortened]... d he rather mark a zone than go one on one with vidic,well, we both know the answer to that one.
    So zonal marking was invented by managers so that they could blame their players when a goal was conceded from a set piece?

You haven't got a clue.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 18:47
    believe it or not my friend, managers do look for people to blame....you obviously have never played the game at a decent level. mark a zone or a man? hmmmmm
  7. 6yd box
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 23:28
    Hyypia has been standing in for Agger for almost 3 months and still they have the best defensive record in the league - FACT.

I don't really see what you've said is therefore going to be such a factor. Next you'll be talking about the fragility of the zonal marking system - which has resulted in ZERO goals conceded from set pieces in the league since March - another FACT
    cannt see liverpuds keeping up with the other three.......... they have dropped to many points and just dont look in the same class as the other three.

i see liverpuds hanging on for 4th..just!
  8. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 10:30
    Originally posted by Doyle78
    you obviously have never played the game at a decent level
    .. and evidently neither have you, as you couldn't possibly have gotten away with knowing the square root of fudge all.

So,

1. All managers look for someone from their team to blame personally - funny that you rarely hear them naming and shaming in post game press conferences isn't it?

2. Zonal marking is cack - even though LFC have had the meanest defence in the league over the last 3 seasons and haven't conceded a goal from a set piece since March. Meanwhile they've been scoring for fun from set pieces themselves against teams employing the supposedly superior man-marking system

3. The managers who employ a zonal marking system have done so purely so that it makes it easier to lay the blame at someone's door - even though man marking couldn't be more definitive as to whose fault it is and the manager would probably be telling his players even before the game who they were to be picking up at set pieces?

Please feel free to humiliate yourself further by explaining why I'm wrong.
  9. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 10:341 edit
    Originally posted by spurs73
    cannt see liverpuds keeping up with the other three.......... they have dropped to many points
    Stay with me here .... If they win their game in hand (over Utd and Chelsea) they go 2nd. Facts would therefore suggest that Chelsea and Utd have dropped just as many, if not more, points.

I see that guy you said would be loaned out in January after scoring 3 goals isn't doing too badly ..... What was his name again?

Torres .... that's the one!
  10. 6yd box
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 11:30
    Stay with me here .... If they win their game in hand (over Utd and Chelsea) they go 2nd. Facts would therefore suggest that Chelsea and Utd have dropped just as many, if not more, points.

I see that guy you said would be loaned out in January after scoring 3 goals isn't doing too badly ..... What was his name again?

LOL................ i will put my hand up on that one regarding Torres.. i got that all wrong BIG TIME.

he is a class player. I thought he would struggle but he has proved me WRONG.

How ever i still cannt see Liverpool being a serious threath to Chequeszea, ARSenal and Man yoooo for the Prem league title ................SORRY
  11. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 18:37
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    United
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Liverpool

with a 12 point spread, 1st to 4th.

The other important variables this season are how the African Nations affects Chelsea/Arsenal? Will Fabregas/Torres stay fit and on top form for the season? Will Liverpool get a decent centre half? Will Liverpool/Arsenal (with their thinnish squads) make progress in multiple comps?

D
    Interesting as always Rag, yet I feel the african nations Cup will hit Chelsea harder than Arsenal. Liverpool are dark horses - as they may not have the CL to worry about.

I'm going to say it will be goal diff between the AFC and MUFC, 5 back to LFC with Chelsea just keeping out Villa from the 4th position 15 points back.
  12. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 18:56
    Originally posted by invigorate
    Liverpool are dark horses - as they may not have the CL to worry about.
    If LFC can't beat a team who are 16th in their own league, which is currently headed by a team who got whoop-a$$ed by Rangers at home, then I am going to eat my shorts.
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 21:26
    Originally posted by invigorate
    I feel the african nations Cup will hit Chelsea harder than Arsenal. Liverpool are dark horses - as they may not have the CL to worry about.
    Very good points, I thought the former myself today, when I read that Drogba could be out for a month with injury, follwed by upto 6 weeks with African Nations. Chelsea could very easily be totally out of the race by mid February. If they are still competing by then, I'd place them above Arsenal in the final table.

I think LFC has just cursed his team with the last post. I think we'll need photographic evidence of his dinner after the Pool game. Liverpool may find the Premiership a bit of a distraction from Benitez' main target of the Carling Cup, as evidenced by him saving Torres for the vital cup games.

D
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 19:44
    Hyypia has been standing in for Agger for almost 3 months and still they have the best defensive record in the league - FACT.

I don't really see what you've said is therefore going to be such a factor. Next you'll be talking about the fragility of the zonal marking system - which has resulted in ZERO goals conceded from set pieces in the league since March - another FACT
    HA!

Next you'll be talking about the fragility of the zonal marking system - which has resulted in ZERO goals conceded from set pieces in the league since March - another FACT
    HA!

With the expected result next week in Europe, then Benitez can concentrate on his priority for the season: The Carling Cup.

D
  15. LA
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 20:381 edit

If, but and when.... 😵 Been hearing this for 18 years.

As usual Liverpools 'Title Challenge' collapses the game after they announce they are in the title race.

Can anyone tell me how Liverpool can win the league when their manager comes out with a statement like this:-

"For me, it was really difficult to win this game so we needed to think about the next one."

Nice one Rafa, keep on subbing Torres and Gerrard with 1/3 of the game to go.
    ROFL.

I'm also sure team moral is also going to be boosted by the players being banned from watching the Hatton fight.

I almost want Liverpool to win in France on Tuesday, just so that rotation Rafa keeps his job and continues to rest players for league games.

There's only one Ricky Hatton.......
    There's only one Wayne Rooney......
    There's only one Rafa Beneithus.......

Roll on Super Sunday.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree