1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 10:301 edit
    Some commentators have already heralded the imminent death on of One Day cricket shortly after the world cup. The set up of the world cup will ensure a bore fest and the only really interesting matches will start when the quarter finals start.

Once you see the two groups of seven where the top four get through, you will automatically know who is going to get through.

Basically it will be India, SA, Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan, England, Sri Lanka and ...(I forget the other one). But basically only Bangladesh have a chance of maybe getting through.
    So other than the lop-sided group matches that will repel viewers (Ireland vs the likes India, Australia vs Canada), there will be a week of warm up matches that will furthur add to the huge time waste/bore fest that this tourney will be.(Or so these commentators , and I hate to admit, myself , contend)

I'm an Aussie supporter and the Aussies have won the last three world cups, but so what? T20 is poised to take over.
    The last two matches at the MCG were teling over the weekend (Aus v England).
    The T20 game had 60 000+ spectators, the ODI was lucky to have half of that at the same venue only 2 days later, despite it being a thrilling high scoring match.
  2. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 11:36
    I'm not convinced. There is definitely a problem, though, that there are way too many ODIs. Take the current series: two Twenty20s and seven ODIs is ridiculous. Three of each would be more sensible.

As it is, though, there are so many more international ODIs taking place and scheduled for the future than either tests or Twenty20s, that I think it's premature to say they're dying out.
  3. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 11:37
    It's also true that the world cup schedule is just daft. The ICC seem incapable of coming up with a decent format for ODI world cups.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 20:00
    Originally posted by mtthw
    I'm not convinced. There is definitely a problem, though, that there are way too many ODIs. Take the current series: two Twenty20s and seven ODIs is ridiculous. Three of each would be more sensible.

As it is, though, there are so many more international ODIs taking place and scheduled for the future than either tests or Twenty20s, that I think it's premature to say they're dying out.
    I like all froms of the game.

And I can see why T20 is so popular, but even former ODI champion Michael Bevan has said that ODI's will die out soon.
    Either way , that world cup is not going to help matters.
  5. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 10:04
    That's the bit I don't understand. Lots of people say ODIs are going to die out, but it seems there are more than ever. Reduce the number so there's a better balance between the three forms of the game and I wouldn't be surprised if the negative comments died down.
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 20:26
    It's also true that the world cup schedule is just daft. The ICC seem incapable of coming up with a decent format for ODI world cups.
    All the ICC is good for is wasting money on plane tickets for "officials"...
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 20:31
    That's the bit I don't understand. Lots of people say ODIs are going to die out, but it seems there are more than ever. Reduce the number so there's a better balance between the three forms of the game and I wouldn't be surprised if the negative comments died down.
    Agreed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree