1. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    16 Oct '08 05:43
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    If you choose to define a sport by the competition element then a kick about with your mates becomes a hobby, a round of golf is a hobby 😛
    golf is a sport and a hobby
  2. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    16 Oct '08 07:58
    Originally posted by jacko11
    golf is a sport and a hobby
    Golf is a way of life!
  3. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    16 Oct '08 08:08
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Golf is a way of life!
    yeah that as well
  4. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    16 Oct '08 08:34
    Most golf clubs hold local competitions all throughout the weekend. So, many people I know play in a competition once, even twice a week.

Anyway, let's not get stuck in semantics...
    A kick around or a round of golf could be considered a hobby, until you take into account that it may be practice for competition purposes.
    Then it's a sport again, no?
    On this basis then we have to accept that all folk that go fishing could also be out to practice for a competition 😉
  5. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    16 Oct '08 09:241 edit
    On this basis then we have to accept that all folk that go fishing could also be out to practice for a competition 😉
    yeah there are lots of possibilitys lots of opinions and i dont think that there is a right or wrong it is whatever you think
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    16 Oct '08 10:28
    We HAVE to accept? I don't think so...

If you are practicing, sure, then you are practicing for your sport.
    I would contend that most people go fishing for purely relaxation purposes and only a small amount of serious fisherman go for practice runs.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Oct '08 10:36
    Uhm, cricket is a 'world sport'. Not sure what you mean by that. Sure, the americans don't really know it, but that makes no real difference to it being a 'world sport', does it? All that means is less advertising during overs and that's fine by me...

Motorsport, sure, that's one I forgot. I just hate all motorsports, so I forgot about it.
    World =/= Former Commonwealth Dominions.
  8. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    16 Oct '08 11:53
    Originally posted by Palynka
    World =/= Former Commonwealth Dominions.
    Well, how would you define a 'world sport'?

We have good international representation in cricket from countries on every continent, except North America, but the Canadians are OK.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Oct '08 12:10
    Well, how would you define a 'world sport'?

We have good international representation in cricket from countries on every continent, except North America, but the Canadians are OK.
    It's certainly hard to draw a line.

I think that specifically cricket is too tied to the historical political links between the countries involved in it. Football or basketball are certainly less so, to provide counter-examples.
  10. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    16 Oct '08 12:431 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    It's certainly hard to draw a line.

I think that specifically cricket is too tied to the historical political links between the countries involved in it. Football or basketball are certainly less so, to provide counter-examples.
    It is hard, yeas.
    I think one of cricket's biggest problems is grassroots accessibility.

All you need for an impromptu football match is a ball and some kids willing to run around. Same goes for basketball, you just need a hoop too.
    For cricket you need at least something resembling a pitch; a bat; and if you play with a proper ball you will need some protective gear etc.

So it's not as easy to start playing cricket as it is playing something much simpler like football or basketball...
    And if the youth don't get involved, then the sport will not develop.
  11. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    16 Oct '08 16:28
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    I don't accept that fishing is a sport at all. Well, except perhaps for the worm.

Richard
    There are inshore and offshore fishing tournaments on television. I guess that qualifies fishing as a sport. If you want to disqualify that casual fisherman then you must do the same thing for the person who is not that inserested in the other sports. The person who plays who plays baseball for fun does not count?
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Oct '08 08:41
    It is hard, yeas.
    I think one of cricket's biggest problems is grassroots accessibility.

All you need for an impromptu football match is a ball and some kids willing to run around. Same goes for basketball, you just need a hoop too.
    For cricket you need at least something resembling a pitch; a bat; and if you play with a proper ball you will need some ...[text shortened]... tball or basketball...
    And if the youth don't get involved, then the sport will not develop.
    Then again, children manage, and have for decades, in both your country and the Indian subcontinent.

Richard
  13. Joined
    17 Oct '08
    Moves
    17 Oct '08 08:42
    Snail racing
  14. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Oct '08 08:45

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Oct '08 08:47
    Originally posted by gambit3
    There are inshore and offshore fishing tournaments on television. I guess that qualifies fishing as a sport.
    If that were the criterium, talking out of your posterior would be a sport, and the current world champions would be called John and Barack. So, no.
    Sport is about mens sana in corpore sano. Chess exercises the mens; physical sports, even baseball, exercise the corpus. What does fishing exercise? Oh yeah, the facility to blank the mind, stare at a sinker, and torture a fish. Little sanus about that, ISTM.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree