1. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 11:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I was watching the Pinstripe Bowl where a kid's saluting of the crowd after scoring a TD got a 15 yard penalty that may very well have cost his team (Kansas State) the game. I found an article which points out that far from correcting this type of idiocy, the NCAA intends to worsen the situation next year:

Next season, if a player draws ...[text shortened]... d one? Can't a 19 year old get a little excited when he makes a great play? What's the BFD?
    This is saying that a salute is on the same level as a helmet-to helmet hit. BS. Another example of the idiocy of NCAA game rules
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 14:33
    That call was the biggest officiating disgrace in sports since Colorado got 5 downs to score a touchdown in 1990 that eventually gave them the national championship.

It was a great game in a great venue on front of a great crowd that fittingly could have gone to OT until some pompous arrogant ref decided to decide the game personally because he had the power to do so. Geez! To rob the team of a chance to tie the game after a great drive just because the player saluted in the end zone??? You seriously gotta be kidding me. I can't even fathom anyone defending that call.

(And later in the day, another group of idiot Big 10 refs don't flag NC when they had basically 112 guys on the field when they spiked the ball before the tying field goal...)

If I cared enough, I'd scream about how the NCAA should be busted up on anti-trust grounds... though, honestly, I really don't care enough.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 14:48
    Originally posted by sh76
    That call was the biggest officiating disgrace in sports since Colorado got 5 downs to score a touchdown in 1990 that eventually gave them the national championship.

It was a great game in a great venue on front of a great crowd that fittingly could have gone to OT until some pompous arrogant ref decided to decide the game personally because he had the power ...[text shortened]... A should be busted up on anti-trust grounds... though, honestly, I really don't care enough.
    Indeed a greeat finish was ruined by an arrogant, angry ref inserting himself into the spotlight! LIke badwater syas, it is elevating a salute to a helmet to helmet hit and is indeed BS! Great bowl, great venue, wonderful crowd for a first time bowl. I may have to backtrack on my anti NYC feelings!

BTW UNC was penalized for having too many men on the field. In the nfl there would have been a ten second penalty and game over. In college teams use penalties to kill clock when out of time outs.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 15:301 edit
    OP states someone saluted the crowd. Will they also penalize you for making a cross and thanking God in the end zone?

If someone gets in another's face or bumps them tauntingly, penalize them. Don't penalize them for silly things like a smile or arms up or rolling the ball as they score.

Glad I don't follow College football... sounds like they're trying to make it boring.

In baseball if someone walks the bases or stares too long at their home run there is no penalty sans a pitch between the shoulder bones or in the rump. Hockey is similar, the players distribute the punishment. If you think someone is high-lighting in the end zone, stop them!

P-
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 18:44
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    OP states someone saluted the crowd. Will they also penalize you for making a cross and thanking God in the end zone?

If someone gets in another's face or bumps them tauntingly, penalize them. Don't penalize them for silly things like a smile or arms up or rolling the ball as they score.

Glad I don't follow College football... sounds like they're ...[text shortened]... ute the punishment. If you think someone is high-lighting in the end zone, stop them!

P-
    INdeed they are trying to make ncaaf players emotionless automatons. Silly rule making results on the field get altered via stupidity instead of good play. I hope they revisit this silly rule and get rid of it!
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 21:09

Glad I don't follow College football... sounds like they're ...[text shortened]... ute the punishment. If you think someone is high-lighting in the end zone, stop them!

P-
    Phlab: Will they also penalize you for making a cross and thanking God in the end zone?

In Washington State high school football they will: http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Washington-player-penalized-for-pointing-to-heav?urn=highschool-290886
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    04 Jan '11 12:38
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Phlab: Will they also penalize you for making a cross and thanking God in the end zone?

In Washington State high school football they will: http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Washington-player-penalized-for-pointing-to-heav?urn=highschool-290886
    That is truly ridiculousness beyond compare. Stuff like this borders on outright anti-Christian paranoia! Complete and utter nonsense indeed!
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 Jan '11 14:18
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    That is truly ridiculousness beyond compare. Stuff like this borders on outright anti-Christian paranoia! Complete and utter nonsense indeed!
    I wouldn't call it 'anti-Christian'... I'd call it 'anti-anything'. Some of the best stuff in my mind is some of the celebrations like fake phone calls and autographed balls in the end zone.

If those things bother you, stop the guy from getting in the end zone.

If you can't, have 3 players pop him at 5 yards as a warning while someone else scores or gains. This sends the message, "We're not impressed with your behavior, so we're going to lay you out when we can".

That's fun, not this refs deciding EVERYTHING is bad. I can't see anyone mad at another player for saluting the crowd, or crossing for God, or rolling the ball.

P-
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    04 Jan '11 22:21
    I wouldn't call it 'anti-Christian'... I'd call it 'anti-anything'. Some of the best stuff in my mind is some of the celebrations like fake phone calls and autographed balls in the end zone.

If those things bother you, stop the guy from getting in the end zone.

If you can't, have 3 players pop him at 5 yards as a warning while someone else scores o ...[text shortened]... ther player for saluting the crowd, or crossing for God, or rolling the ball.

P-
    Let'em play! If they indeed get too ridiculous then players will knock their snot out!
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 20:22
    The only penalty that should result from a celebration is if the game is delayed in some way. Like throwing the ball into the crowd or some such and it should be equivalent to a normal delay of game penalty.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 00:05
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    The only penalty that should result from a celebration is if the game is delayed in some way. Like throwing the ball into the crowd or some such and it should be equivalent to a normal delay of game penalty.
    There i disagree. If it is choreographed, outlandish, taunting of opponents or crowd ( in a derogatory way) then a penalty is in order. But your regular goofball celebration should never be penalized. It is hard scoring as the Ducks can attest and Auburn, too. Simply put there are so many things likely to go wrong that scoring makes us elated, just imagine a kid!
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 01:33
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    There i disagree. If it is choreographed, outlandish, taunting of opponents or crowd ( in a derogatory way) then a penalty is in order. But your regular goofball celebration should never be penalized. It is hard scoring as the Ducks can attest and Auburn, too. Simply put there are so many things likely to go wrong that scoring makes us elated, just imagine a kid!
    Thats beside the point those are obvious no no's and do not happen anymore by the majority of players.
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 03:46
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Thats beside the point those are obvious no no's and do not happen anymore by the majority of players.
    but my point is that should be the spirit of the rule. Your point's are just as obvious and already in the rule. The way the current rule is written is any non football action designed to call attention to yourself. As written it should be called every time a player makes a first down sign, muscle flexes, chest bumps, etc. It is a ridiculous rule indeed!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree