1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 May '10 03:14
    Okay: I repent. Even IF we get out of this series, we are in no shape, manner or form world champions. We freaking rolled over for the Celtics. Period, end of story. LeBron James can go to New York; I couldn't care less.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 May '10 20:38
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Okay: I repent. Even IF we get out of this series, we are in no shape, manner or form world champions. We freaking rolled over for the Celtics. Period, end of story. LeBron James can go to New York; I couldn't care less.
    Your faith has been tested and found wanting.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 May '10 22:45
    LeBron wants so badly to be counted among the game's greats. In fact, he demands it.

Too bad he's only lacking the drive, the maturity, the self-awareness and desire to be a champion. And now his team is paying the price.

The Cavs may yet pull out the series and advance. It's LeBron's decision.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 May '10 13:22
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Your faith has been tested and found wanting.
    Amen. That was the worst case of laying down I've ever "witnessed" in all my years of watching or playing sports. I kept telling myself that maybe Selig asked him to make it go to seven games--- in light of the multiple sweep series occurring elsewhere.

Of course, my mind filled in other blanks, as well, in my speculative fervor to find an answer. Maybe he was just saying 'c-ya' on his way out the door to the Knicks, which just fueled my anger all the more.

He's never played with such lethargy, so it seemed self-imposed. For whatever reason.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 May '10 13:29
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    LeBron wants so badly to be counted among the game's greats. In fact, he demands it.

Too bad he's only lacking the drive, the maturity, the self-awareness and desire to be a champion. And now his team is paying the price.

The Cavs may yet pull out the series and advance. It's LeBron's decision.
    In the Plain Dealer today, two columnists had open letters to him, half of the above-the-fold of the front page of the main section was dedicated to him, and of course, the front page of the sports section had three of four articles about him and the importance of tonight's game, blah, blah, blah.

Here's the bottom line from me: if you want to go to NY, go. But repay to the city what the city has given you. We have idolized, worshiped at the altar, paid countless homage, thrown love and affection without end at your feet. You are the best in the world, and will go down as one of the all-time greats of the game. Effing play like it now and then go gratify yourself to your heart's content elsewhere.
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 May '10 13:56
    In the Plain Dealer today, two columnists had open letters to him, half of the above-the-fold of the front page of the main section was dedicated to him, and of course, the front page of the sports section had three of four articles about him and the importance of tonight's game, blah, blah, blah.

Here's the bottom line from me: if you want to go to NY, ...[text shortened]... ame. Effing play like it now and then go gratify yourself to your heart's content elsewhere.
    It is a joke for a newspaper to write multiple open letters to a player pleading the importance of Game 6. It reinforces the concept that Cleveland is a hick town not deserving of quality professional sports teams. Do you think after 7 years in the league he does not know that Game 6 is a big game? James certainly does not owe Cleveland anything. Everyone would have drafted him, everyone would have cheered for him when he played great everyone would have played him. They gave no opportunity that was not available everywhere in the world.

And when you post things like "you are the best in the world now effing play like it" I am pretty sure you don't understand that players (even those better than him like Michael Jordan) have bad games especially when they are hurt. James is certainly the best player in the series but the next four are on the other team. It makes the task a lot more difficult and in game five James just was not as a good as he normally is. I hope he does leave and then I look foward to the Browns, Indians and Cavs all having an equal chance of competing for the title of the least terrible professional team in the city.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 May '10 14:11
    Originally posted by quackquack
    It is a joke for a newspaper to write multiple open letters to a player pleading the importance of Game 6. It reinforces the concept that Cleveland is a hick town not deserving of quality professional sports teams. Do you think after 7 years in the league he does not know that Game 6 is a big game? James certainly does not owe Cleveland anything. Eve ...[text shortened]... equal chance of competing for the title of the least terrible professional team in the city.
    I agree that open letters of the nature evidenced today are ill-advised. However, I hardly agree with your assessment of Cleveland being a hick town. On the ropes, yes. Hard-pressed, yes. Hick, no. A few desperate writers emoting does not a hick town make. All of the people with whom I have personally spoke with on the subject are of the same mind--- namely, this didn't look like a bad game as much as an inappropriate statement. Maybe we're all wrong. After all, he's never exhibited behavior best described as punk in the past, and the shock of seeing it now is alarming.

James certainly does not owe Cleveland anything.
    Reciprocity.

They gave no opportunity that was not available everywhere in the world.
    So how about some professionalism, some loyalty?

I hope he does leave and then I look foward to the Browns, Indians and Cavs all having an equal chance of competing for the title of the least terrible professional team in the city.
    If this wasn't an act of childishness, but rather simply a bad game, it will be borne out on his behavior from this point forward. As stated, we might all be wrong in our assessment of the impetus behind Game 5. If he leaves after giving it his all, more power to him and thanks for the memories.

That being said, I think you're going to feel like a fool after seeing what happens with the Browns this year--- that's right: this year.

I gave up on the Indians quite some time ago. Don't even open up those pages, except by accident.
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 May '10 14:29
    I agree that open letters of the nature evidenced today are ill-advised. However, I hardly agree with your assessment of Cleveland being a hick town. On the ropes, yes. Hard-pressed, yes. Hick, no. A few desperate writers emoting does not a hick town make. All of the people with whom I have personally spoke with on the subject are of the same mind--- ...[text shortened]... on the Indians quite some time ago. Don't even open up those pages, except by accident.
    If you feel James tanked it game Game 5 or somehow did not give a full effort or was out partying and was not in a state that he was able to play then I will listen to professionalism arguments. But, I think he's an injured player giving what he can who just had a bad game. James comes to play every night eventhough his support cast is woefully inadequate if you want to win a championship. Unlike a guy like Kobe, he does not sink his coach, he does not sulk on the court, he does not belittle his teammates. I really believe that he is injured and human (does Cleveland know that the chosen one is ad campaign he wasn't really annoited by a diety?)

Like all athletes is free to leave when free agency arrives. If there are better opportunities in a huge media market than in Cleveland then he should leave. It isn't an anti-Cleveland thing but the Cavs aren't entitled to have him forever.

Anything could happen in the NFL, the Jets almost went to the Superbowl last year. But I really do not expect big things from the Browns (or the Indians or the Cavs if Lebron were to leave without compensation). If the browns are good though -- I'll get you credit you definitely told me first.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 May '10 03:59
    Charlie Brown: I can't stand it. I just can't stand it...
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 May '10 15:33
    Charlie Brown: I can't stand it. I just can't stand it...
    Condolences to Cleveland indeed are in order. I feel your pain for we have our own version of LeBron futility in Nowitzki. Superstars who can't deliver. Both may leave their teams and I say good riddance. No hustle in either one. Whiney, excuse makers, blame everyone but themselves, yet able to cage their statements in ways they seem like they're saying the right thing. I knew the series was over when in the game five post game interview Kevin Garnett openly talked about game six being treated as a game seven. You could see the fire in his eyes. You could see the fire in the Celtics after their home blow out loss. They wanted revenge. Cavs merely talked about how one game a series does not make. Reminds of the whiney Mavs. At least Cavs made it to the second round! Celtica may give Orlando trouble. Cavs would have likely fallen to Magic with a bigger thud!
  11. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 May '10 16:161 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Condolences to Cleveland indeed are in order. I feel your pain for we have our own version of LeBron futility in Nowitzki. Superstars who can't deliver. Both may leave their teams and I say good riddance. No hustle in either one. Whiney, excuse makers, blame everyone but themselves, yet able to cage their statements in ways they seem like they're saying ...[text shortened]... ! Celtica may give Orlando trouble. Cavs would have likely fallen to Magic with a bigger thud!
    It is comical when people say good riddance to the superstars. The idea that just because your star did not overcome the rest of his team's deficiencies that they did not try is fictional. Maybe my TV broadcasts different games, but both LeBron and Nowitzki do not lack hustle, they do not make excuses and they do not blame others. If anything they are victims of higher expectations caused by night in night out playing hard.

If you think Cleveland or Dallas will be the same without them see what it is like when super stars leave and are unreplaced (Start with the Knicks post Patrick Ewing or Indiana post Reggie Miller if you need a concrete example). Maybe Cavs and Mavs fans need a decade of watching a team as good as the Indians or Browns to appreciate the effort and quality of play they got from LeBron and Dirk.
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 May '10 18:031 edit
    The may be missed, yet outcomes are going to be no different, so what difference does it make if they leave if they can't deliver if they stay? It's simply a no brainer to let these two go. They hold their franchises hostage both money-wise or with off court issues. How can dirk concnetrate with skank on the mind? What's comical is that other quiet superstars seem to deliver. Shaq has provided two franchises championships. Kobe delivers hustle by bucketload. LeBron and Dirk fade in playoffs, so what good are they?
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 May '10 18:53
    It's absurd to bash LeBron for the Cavs' playoff loss(es). Yes, he had a bad Game 5, but he was virtually the only player on the court doing anything for Cleveland last night in the second half. The Celtics played the relentless defense they are capable of and LeBron wasn't getting anything easy. Still, he had a triple double and when he drilled consecutive three pointers early in the 4th, the score was 78-74. The cast of supporting players he has been given is unimpressive; certainly nothing comparable to the Pippen and Rodman's MJ had or a superstar second like Shaq (when he was Shaq) was for Kobe. One great player does not a great team make.

And the Celts might be aging, but they still are a team that when they are playing at their peak defensive level (as they were last night). are brutally tough to beat. They are 2 years away from a dominating destruction of the Lakers in a Game 6 and only one year removed from taking the Magic to a Game 7 even without Garnett. The way they played in the second half this season I gave them little chance to make hay in the playoffs (it wouldn't have shocked me if they had lost to the Heat) but they've turned it around after the Game 3 embarrassment. The Magic are playing great right now, but the Celts are a superior road team and have a good chance to break their win streak Sunday. And then anything can happen.
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 May '10 21:221 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It's absurd to bash LeBron for the Cavs' playoff loss(es). Yes, he had a bad Game 5, but he was virtually the only player on the court doing anything for Cleveland last night in the second half. The Celtics played the relentless defense they are capable of and LeBron wasn't getting anything easy. Still, he had a triple double and when he drilled consecut eam and have a good chance to break their win streak Sunday. And then anything can happen.
    Defend them if you must, but Cav's choked because LeBron quit on them. Supporting cast for LeBron is way better than MJ had. He's simply a superstar wannabe who cannot elevate his play because he simply lacks the eye of the tiger MJ had!
    From yahoosports:

Truth be told, James did something no champion would’ve ever dared: He quit on his teammates in Game 5 and that made it easy for the rest of them – and James – to quit in the final minutes of Game 6. This has been an indictment of the coaching staff and organization, but James, too. Mostly, James. The Cavs have turned out to be a great regular season team unfit for the playoffs, but James was the most responsible for this collapse in the conference semifinals. There was no culprit even a close second.

Still, James will get over it fast because he engages in so little self-examination. In his mind, and that of his cast of sycophants, blame belongs on his coach, Mike Brown, for his lousy adjustments and game plans. It belongs to general manager Danny Ferry for the unworthy teammates. James was no MVP in this series, but no one stays in his employ with impure thoughts of accountability.

The next time you hear James, as the franchise star, say, “This was on me,” will be the first. All around James, his yes men never require him to deal in the currency of truth. Aaron Goodwin, his old agent, tried to be honest with him and his high school buddies, and it got him fired five years ago.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 May '10 22:531 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Defend them if you must, but Cav's choked because LeBron quit on them. Supporting cast for LeBron is way better than MJ had. He's simply a superstar wannabe who cannot elevate his play because he simply lacks the eye of the tiger MJ had!
    From yahoosports:

Truth be told, James did something no champion would’ve ever dared: He quit on his teammates in ...[text shortened]... tried to be honest with him and his high school buddies, and it got him fired five years ago.
    Sac: Supporting cast for LeBron is way better than MJ had

Only the most biased idiot in the world would make such a ridiculous claim.

In point of fact, until MJ got Rodman, Pippen, et. al. his "eye of the tiger" was clearly inferior to LeBron's. James is 25 years old today; by the time MJ was 25, the Bulls had had one winning season and their first title was still 3 years away.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree