1. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 08:451 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    You were offended?
    yes when you see those young kids sitting with their moms waving flags to their favourite team, young guys dancing in the stands to every six and four that crosses the boundary, Mrs MS Dhoni holding her head in her hands when her husband shoots a ball into the air that is likely to be caught and jumping for joy when its occasionally dropped, a whole row of young ladies sitting almost motionless because of the tension, slurping nervously away on their softdrinks and you think that its meaningless. Let me ask you, do you think its meaningless to Indian cricket fans?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 09:09
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes when you see those young kids sitting with their moms waving flags to their favourite team, young guys dancing in the stands to every six and four that crosses the boundary, Mrs MS Dhoni holding her head in her hands when her husband shoots a ball into the air that is likely to be caught and jumping for joy when its occasionally dropped, a whole row of young ladies sitting almost motionless because of the tension, slurping nervously away on their softdrinks and you think that its meaningless. Let me ask you, do you think its meaningless to Indian cricket fans?

Do I think it is meaningless to fans of IPL? Of course not. I said several times in our discussion that I understand the appeal and popularity of T20. I understand its commercial success and its income generation potential. It is however meaningless cricket to me. I don't like it. Moreover, I fear it could be detrimental to the standard of cricket in the version of the game that I do like. How on earth can you be "offended" by me having a different point of view from you?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 09:262 edits
    yes when you see those young kids sitting with their moms waving flags to their favourite team, young guys dancing in the stands to every six and four that crosses the boundary, Mrs MS Dhoni holding her head in her hands when her husband shoots a ball into the air that is likely to be caught and jumping for joy when its occasionally dropped, a whole row of yo do like. How on earth can you be "offended" by me having a different point of view from you?
    I guess you would rather sit through 103 minutes of Stuart Broad trying to score a run, sure, whatever rocks your world FMF 😵
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 09:28
    I guess you would rather sit through 103 minutes of Sturat Broad tryig to score a run, sure, whatever rocks your world FMF 😵
    How can you be "offended" by someone liking something different from you?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 09:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    How can you be "offended" by someone liking something different from you?
    I was offended at your dismissive tone, you painted the IPL and T20 as some kind of cheapened version of cricket, some meaningless bash and slog fest.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 09:32
    I was offended at your dismissive tone, you painted the IPL and T20 as some kind of cheapened version of cricket, some meaningless bash and slog fest.
    If I am dismissive of a format of the game I do not like, how can you be "offended" by that? Indeed, how can you be affected in any way at all by the different opinion? You have been dismissive of first class cricket. I am not "offended" by what you have said, not in the slightest, nor is it conceivable that I could be.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 09:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    If I am dismissive of a format of the game I do not like, how can you be "offended" by that? Indeed, how can you be affected in any way at all by the different opinion? You have been dismissive of first class cricket. I am not "offended" by what you have said, not in the slightest, nor is it conceivable that I could be.
    I was offended not because you dont like it, not because its not to your taste, not because you have a different point of view but because you have dismissed it as a lesser form of cricket. Please try to understand the difference.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 09:411 edit
    I was offended not because you dont like it, not because its not to your taste, not because you have a different point of view but because you have dismissed it as a lesser form of cricket. Please try to understand the difference.
    Well I do dismiss it as a lesser form of cricket than the first class format. How can you possibly be "offended" by me thinking it is a lesser form of cricket? I am not "offended" by you thinking that "IPL is the greatest tournament in history" and the implications of this in terms of your opinion of first class cricket. I am not "offended" at all by you not thinking first class cricket is as good as IPL/T20.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 09:462 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well I do dismiss it as a lesser form of cricket than the first class format. How can you possibly be "offended" by me thinking it is a lesser form of cricket? I am not "offended" by you thinking that "IPL is the greatest tournament in history" and the implications of this in terms of your opinion of first class cricket. I am not "offended" at all by you not thinking first class cricket is as good as IPL/T20.
    I know you do and your dismissive tone was offensive, but let me ask you FMF, if it were not for T20, would we have seen the rise in popularity of unorthodox cricket shots, the reverse sweep, the scoop, the helicopter, the switch shot etc
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 09:51
    I know you do and your dismissive tone was offensive, but let me ask you FMF, if it were not for T20, would we have seen the rise in popularity of unorthodox cricket shots, the reverse sweep, the scoop, the helicopter etc
    If I dismiss the T20 format as meaningless cricket as far as I am concerned, how does that impinge on you in any way? How can you seriously be claiming to be "offended"? I was talking about IPL/T20, not you.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 09:54
    FMF, if it were not for T20, would we have seen the rise in popularity of unorthodox cricket shots, the reverse sweep, the scoop, the helicopter, the switch shot etc
    These things have not become more popular with me, and "unorthodox cricket shots" have probably cost more wickets in first class cricket than they should have or were worth.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 09:591 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    These things have not become more popular with me, and "unorthodox cricket shots" have probably cost more wickets in first class cricket than they should have or were worth.
    oh i see, you must be the only one in the entire crowd who bows his head in shame when Kevin Pietersen uses the switch shot to hit some spinner into the stands for six. It appears to me FMF that your conservatism may display an unwillingness to embrace diversity in the arena of cricket and may be clouding your judgement. Ironic given our conversations elsewhere, dont you think?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 10:02
    oh i see, you must be the only one in the entire crowd who bows his head in shame when Kevin Pietersen uses the switch shot to hit some spinner into the stands for six. It appears to me FMF that your conservatism may display an unwillingness to embrace diversity in the arena of cricket and may be clouding our judgement. Ironic given our conversations elsewhere, dont you think?
    You are entitled to your opinions about cricket and you are entitled to your opinions about my opinions. I cannot be "offended" by you disagreeing with me. How can you possibly be "offended" by the degree to which I do not like the same thing as you?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 10:09
    oh i see, you must be the only one in the entire crowd who bows his head in shame when Kevin Pietersen uses the switch shot to hit some spinner into the stands for six.
    Kevin Pietersen has got out at absolutely crucial moments on several occasions in Tests as a result of attempting unorthodox shots and, yes, I think plenty of England fans have bowed their heads but not for the reason you'd think. Note that there was no love lost between KP and probably most England fans when he had his falling out with the ECB and changing room last year. Most cricket fans I know don't think he should be in the team. He certainly doesn't need the money. I think he may have been bitten by the 'T20' high risk crowd pleasing shot bug! Nobody begrudges those shots in a T20 game. He will never be loved by England fans in the same way other players with less talent and more team spirit might be. 🙂
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 10:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    You are entitled to your opinions about cricket and you are entitled to your opinions about my opinions. I cannot be "offended" by you disagreeing with me. How can you possibly be "offended" by the degree to which I do not like the same thing as you?
    As i have stated, i was not offended by any degree of disagreement, i was offended by your dismissive tone that T20 is a lesser form and that it may have detracted from other forms of the game, clearly it has added to cricket by introducing diversity and unorthodox shots that would have otherwise been frowned upon by the ultra conservatives among us. How many times do we hear in T20 that a player has been working on some unorthodox stroke? whether reversed sweep or scoop or a bowler working on a carrom ball or a knuckle ball, to add to his leg break or dusra or googly? or whatever? You dont think this is a good thing?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree