1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    414434
    08 Apr '10 01:58
    Does anyone care?
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    08 Apr '10 02:41
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Does anyone care?
    did anyone other than americans care when he wasn't gone?
  3. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Joined
    09 Jan '05
    Moves
    24454
    08 Apr '10 10:00
    Yes
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Joined
    17 Apr '02
    Moves
    91690
    08 Apr '10 12:02
    The only people who cared were the sponsors and the people selling media rights of tournament footage.

    I guess money talks. Again.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    5542
    08 Apr '10 13:241 edit
    I think almost everyone who watches golf cared - and everyone who sponsors any of the tournaments.

    For much of the golf audience, the whole point of it all is Tiger. Each tournament is Tiger against the field - and it seems like Tiger wins almost half the time. If you love Tiger, you route for him as he chases Jack Nicklaus's records and attempts to be the greatest golfer of all time. If you hate Tiger, you become a passionate devotee of "whatsisface" and "whozit" and "that guy with the weird pants" and "that guy who always chokes" who happen to be battling with Tiger on the final couple of days.

    Without Tiger, each tournament is just a group of 100 guys who all seem to have about the same chance of winning. Outside of a small core of golf junkies, people might tune in to watch the last couple of holes on the final day if there's nothing else on TV. The one exception was when 59-yr Tom Watson performed perhaps the all-time greatest geriatric feat in sports history by making it to a playoff before losing the British open.

    But now Tiger is back - and there are going to be a whole new group of people who hate Tiger, and will be sure to tune in and route against him. The sponsors are undoubtedly ecstatic.
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    The Energizer
    where you want to be
    Joined
    28 Jan '07
    Moves
    66528
    08 Apr '10 23:16
    Originally posted by Crowley
    The only people who cared were the sponsors and the people selling media rights of tournament footage.

    I guess money talks. Again.
    Wrong. There were the fans of the greatest golfer to ever play the game.

    Of course, what the heck would a cricket fan know about sports anyway?
  7. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Joined
    10 Dec '04
    Moves
    794667
    08 Apr '10 23:25
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Wrong. There were the fans of the greatest golfer to ever play the game.

    Of course, what the heck would a cricket fan know about sports anyway?
    Bull, bull, bull
    The big bear was the best the world has ever seen without all the help of the modern game eg fitness & equipment. Tiger Woods was never miss this side of the pond, didn't care if he ever returned 😛
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    The Energizer
    where you want to be
    Joined
    28 Jan '07
    Moves
    66528
    09 Apr '10 02:21
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Bull, bull, bull
    The big bear was the best the world has ever seen without all the help of the modern game eg fitness & equipment. Tiger Woods was never miss this side of the pond, didn't care if he ever returned 😛
    Jack was my favorite of all time, however, even Jack could not do some of the things Tiger did. And, it wasn't all equipment advances either because the courses are MUCH tougher now than they have ever been to try and even the score with the equipment. Tiger has accomplished every single stage of his career earlier than Jack did. I am referring to Junior golf, amateur golf and professional golf. Furthermore, overall, the caliber of competition is greater now than it was in Jack's era. There are more capable players on tour now, so winning is that much more difficult. When it is all said and done, Tiger will own every record in the books, and it will be quite a while before anyone approaches what he did.
  9. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Joined
    10 Dec '04
    Moves
    794667
    09 Apr '10 10:56
    Maybe we should introduce Mark David Chapman to Tiger woods then.
  10. Subscribershortcircuit
    The Energizer
    where you want to be
    Joined
    28 Jan '07
    Moves
    66528
    09 Apr '10 11:20
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Maybe we should introduce Mark David Chapman to Tiger woods then.
    Or perhaps Jodie Foster.
  11. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Joined
    17 Apr '02
    Moves
    91690
    09 Apr '10 11:33
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Wrong. There were the fans of the greatest golfer to ever play the game.

    Of course, what the heck would a cricket fan know about sports anyway?
    Great golfer, bad person.

    I guess some of us cricket fans just have standards...
  12. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Joined
    12 Mar '04
    Moves
    10441
    09 Apr '10 11:56
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Great golfer, bad person.

    I guess some of us cricket fans just have standards...
    Don't kid yourself Crowley, it is likely that the only difference between cricket players and American sports stars is the scrutiny of the media.
    If you don't think UK or sports figures the world wide aren't taking advantage of their status then you've got your hat pulled down over your eyes.
  13. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Joined
    12 Mar '04
    Moves
    10441
    09 Apr '10 11:59
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Wrong. There were the fans of the greatest golfer to ever play the game.

    Of course, what the heck would a cricket fan know about sports anyway?
    Nicely put Shorty, whether you love Tiger or loath him, he is good for the sport. You may tune in or attend tourneys to cheer or jeer him. Either way he attracts people and sponsors to the sport.
    As a person, yes he most likely is a true shyt-bag. But it isn't about his personal life. I don't believe he signed on to have us included in his personal life. He's simply a golfer.

    I would like to see Jack Nicklaus take him out back and give him a good old fashioned ass-whuppin' though...
  14. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Joined
    17 Apr '02
    Moves
    91690
    09 Apr '10 15:25
    Originally posted by Frank Burns
    Don't kid yourself Crowley, it is likely that the only difference between cricket players and American sports stars is the scrutiny of the media.
    If you don't think UK or sports figures the world wide aren't taking advantage of their status then you've got your hat pulled down over your eyes.
    Never said they didn't. I don't support any of them either.

    Tiger is a big target, as he got A LOT of sponsors because of his golfing abilities, but also his squeaky clean image. I hope he loses all his sponsorships and is only attractive to Durex.
  15. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    5542
    09 Apr '10 18:07
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Never said they didn't. I don't support any of them either.

    Tiger is a big target, as he got A LOT of sponsors because of his golfing abilities, but also his squeaky clean image. I hope he loses all his sponsorships and is only attractive to Durex.
    Losing the "squeaky clean image" might actually make Tiger MORE marketable.

    Now he has flaws. He's a human being now.
Back to Top