Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

1. 11 Apr '07 14:14 / 1 edit
    ...will all you Brits, Europeans, etc. please refer to your brand of Football as "American Soccer".

Many thanks!

Mr. Football Fan
  2. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    11 Apr '07 14:26
    Originally posted by darvlay
    ...will all you Brits, Europeans, etc. please refer to your brand of Football as "American Soccer".

Many thanks!

Mr. Football Fan
    hear, hear.

P-
  3. 11 Apr '07 14:30
    Speak to the hand.
  4. 11 Apr '07 14:36 / 1 edit
    Have a look at the thread list and you'll see only one title with the word 'football' in, plastered right next to the word 'American'. No other titles with it in, so what's the problem?

And Brits are Europeans.
  5. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    11 Apr '07 14:42
    Oh well... so so, the rest of Europe sees Brits as a variation of the yanks.
  6. 11 Apr '07 14:42
    While were on the subject can sumbody please explain to me how that silly game played by tarts in padding got the name "football"? As far as i can tell there isnt much "football" involved in the game. Wouldnt "catch" or maybe "throw the egg" be a better name?.
  7. 11 Apr '07 14:53
    Originally posted by sally cinnamon
    While were on the subject can sumbody please explain to me how that silly game played by tarts in padding got the name "football"? As far as i can tell there isnt much "football" involved in the game. Wouldnt "catch" or maybe "throw the egg" be a better name?.
    I would call it American Rugby !!!
  8. 11 Apr '07 15:15 / 1 edit
    The game is much, much more than just throwing and catching. If they renamed it "catch" or "throw the egg" as you recommend, that would be no more descriptive than the term football. To summarize the intricate sport of Football in one word is simply impossible - unless you use the word "brilliant".
  9. 11 Apr '07 15:26
    I would summorize it by saying a game that involves using your foot to move a ball around! The greatest and most popular game in the world that is, not the silly thing you play in america.
  10. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    11 Apr '07 15:30 / 1 edit

Many thanks!

Mr. Football Fan
    Don't try to change the English language until you stop belching the alphabet.
  11. 11 Apr '07 15:37
    I would summorize it by saying a game that involves using your foot to move a ball around! The greatest and most popular game in the world that is, not the silly thing you play in america.
    Simple concepts for simple people.
  12. 11 Apr '07 15:41
    You know what else is really popular in the UK? Snooker. And Formula One racing. That stuff's so exciting I can barely hold back the snores.
  13. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    11 Apr '07 16:46
    Soccer players don't need pads, but having a stretcher strapped to their back would save them some time getting these babies off the field when they get 'tackled'.

Enjoy your jerry-curls and orange slices. Do the airplane, super cool knee slide, it's a GOAL!

P-
  14. 11 Apr '07 17:55
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Soccer players don't need pads, but having a stretcher strapped to their back would save them some time getting these babies off the field when they get 'tackled'.

Enjoy your jerry-curls and orange slices. Do the airplane, super cool knee slide, it's a GOAL!

P-
    I often wonder if they practice the "grimaced face of ultimate pain" in the mirror as part of their training regimen. Maybe even some saline tears?
  15. Standard member Amaurote
    No Name Maddox
    11 Apr '07 18:38

Many thanks!
    No.

You're welcome!