Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    06 Sep '12 17:08
    Very impressive game last night. 22-29, over 300 yards, 3 TDs and one pick. Made all the big passes including a huge conversion on 3rd and 11 to seal the game.

    Based on his history, you figure he'll mess it up somewhere, but for one night at least, he showed all that potential that everyone talks about with him.
  2. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    06 Sep '12 18:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Very impressive game last night. 22-29, over 300 yards, 3 TDs and one pick. Made all the big passes including a huge conversion on 3rd and 11 to seal the game.

    Based on his history, you figure he'll mess it up somewhere, but for one night at least, he showed all that potential that everyone talks about with him.
    He's consistently put up good numbers against the Giants even in their losses. Last year in the 2 games, he was 50 of 68 for 610 yards with 6 TDs, 1 INT and a QB rating of 124. For his career prior to last night, he was 198 for 300, 2488 yards, 23 TDs, 11 INTs QB rating 101.9 in 12 games though the Cowboys were only 5-7 in them.

    That being said, the G-Men played very poorly last night with the exception of Eli. The offense couldn't run and the receivers esp. Cruz dropped a lot of balls. The defensive secondary got picked apart in the second half, the linebackers were virtually no-shows and the defensive line didn't put up good pressure in the second half.
  3. 07 Sep '12 12:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Last year in the 2 games, he was 50 of 68 for 610 yards with 6 TDs, 1 INT and a QB rating of 124. For his career prior to last night, he was 198 for 300, 2488 yards, 23 TDs, 11 INTs QB rating 101.9 in 12 games though the Cowboys were only 5-7 in them.
    Who says we are two nations separated by a common language?
  4. 07 Sep '12 15:08
    Hopefully this won't be a flash in the pan performance. If Romo could learn to eat the ball and take the sac instead of throwing the ball up for grabs he'd have an even more impressive QB rating. No one questions his skills. His mind and mental toughness is where Eli is head and shoulders above many in the NFL. Nothing seems to rattle him one bit. Giants will pull it together somehow. Cowboys have yet to prove they can be a consistent team. Two SB's in four years and contender in between.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Sep '12 22:47
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Hopefully this won't be a flash in the pan performance. If Romo could learn to eat the ball and take the sac instead of throwing the ball up for grabs he'd have an even more impressive QB rating. No one questions his skills. His mind and mental toughness is where Eli is head and shoulders above many in the NFL. Nothing seems to rattle him one bit. Giant ...[text shortened]... yet to prove they can be a consistent team. Two SB's in four years and contender in between.
    Why are you so pessimistic? IIRC you're a Cowboys' fan. The Cowboys just went into New York and beat the Giants soundly in every phase of the game. Yes, the final score was only 24-17 but I watched most of the game and it seemed like the Giants were solidly outplayed.

    If you can't crow at all after that and are instead waxing poetic about how the great the Giants are, really, what's the point of being a fan?
  6. 08 Sep '12 14:35
    Originally posted by sh76
    Why are you so pessimistic? IIRC you're a Cowboys' fan. The Cowboys just went into New York and beat the Giants soundly in every phase of the game. Yes, the final score was only 24-17 but I watched most of the game and it seemed like the Giants were solidly outplayed.

    If you can't crow at all after that and are instead waxing poetic about how the great the Giants are, really, what's the point of being a fan?
    I sound pessimistic because many are making a season long assessment, including the owner, based on only one game. Fifteen to go. The local press has reported they celebrated this victory as of they had actually won something. I become quite pessimistic because Cowboys are the kind of team who will kick the defending SB Champ's butt then go lose to Seattle. The two shining phases of the game was a wonderful running game with a patchwork o-line and a shut down secondary. Cowboy's passing game is still suspect since they picked on Coe(as they should have) and will have to await full eval once they face a D like Raven's or Steelers. I watched the game just s closely as you did and it certainly was not total domination like you put it. Good butt kicking? Yes. Remember if Cowboys don't make that 3rd and 11 just before the two minute warning they probably lose. NO domination when a team has chances even with so little time. Also, the NYG scoring drive that brought the Giants within seven Cowboys got pushed around all over the field.
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    08 Sep '12 15:55
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I sound pessimistic because many are making a season long assessment, including the owner, based on only one game. Fifteen to go. The local press has reported they celebrated this victory as of they had actually won something. I become quite pessimistic because Cowboys are the kind of team who will kick the defending SB Champ's butt then go lose to Seat ...[text shortened]... ing drive that brought the Giants within seven Cowboys got pushed around all over the field.
    I didn't think Coe played badly and the stats bear that out; Webster and Tryon were the ones who got lit up:

    he Cowboys completed six of seven passes for 145 yards and a touchdown when targeting Webster. The lone incompletion was a dropped interception when Romo threw an ill-advised pass right to Webster after scrambling in the first quarter.

    All four of Dez Bryant's catches for 85 yards, including a 38-yard deep ball, came against Webster. Kevin Ogletree, whose first touchdown came when he split a pair of linebackers in zone coverage, torched Webster on a stop-and-go for his 40-yard score. And Miles Austin had a 20-yard reception on a deep out the lone time he was thrown the ball while matched up against the Giants’ top corner.

    The Cowboys were 4-of-6 for 37 yards against Coe, with Ogletree the intended receiver on each occasion. They exploited Tryon after Coe left with a tweaked hamstring, completing all three passes thrown his way for 61 yards, including the 34-yard KO TD to Austin on a jump ball down the left sideline.

    http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4697221/giant-issue-corey-webster-couldnt-cover-cowboys-wrs-either
  8. 08 Sep '12 16:44 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I didn't think Coe played badly and the stats bear that out; Webster and Tryon were the ones who got lit up:

    he Cowboys completed six of seven passes for 145 yards and a touchdown when targeting Webster. The lone incompletion was a dropped interception when Romo threw an ill-advised pass right to Webster after scrambling in the first quarter.

    All og/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4697221/giant-issue-corey-webster-couldnt-cover-cowboys-wrs-either
    True, but none of that would have happened without the weak link of Coe having to sub in with little practice time. Tryon came in after Coe got hurt, didn't he? Therefore he was an even weaker link. Cause for concern is that Bryant showed his usual poor effort. Ogletree is not gonna have this kind of game against first class defenders like Asomugah. Bryant needs to step up and play like the first rounder he is. No doubt a great victory, but it answers few questions other than better resilience shown in the 3rd and 11 play which normally Cowboy style football would have meant a conservative run or other schlocky play. That's the one play which gives cause for optimism.
  9. 17 Sep '12 04:04
    Now anyone argue that Cowboys are any good? They are not, and never will be. NYG evidenced today being a shadow of their former selves against a woeful team. Don't be fooled by the win. Cowboys almost fooled us with a win, but showed true colors against Seattle! Until Jerryball goes away Cowboys will never win anything again!
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    17 Sep '12 15:08
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Now anyone argue that Cowboys are any good? They are not, and never will be. NYG evidenced today being a shadow of their former selves against a woeful team. Don't be fooled by the win. Cowboys almost fooled us with a win, but showed true colors against Seattle! Until Jerryball goes away Cowboys will never win anything again!
    I'm not sure Tampa Bay is "woeful"; they did beat Carolina and might contend in the NFC South with New Orleans apparently melting down. The Giants should have won easily based on the yardage figures but Eli made some very poor decisions leading to INTs in the first half. Fortunately, TB had very little pass rush and Manning was able to light them up in the 2nd half. Our CBs remain a big concern; it didn't look like they could cover either of the Buc receivers one on one at all.

    It will be interesting what the "woeful" Bucs do in Dallas next week.
  11. Subscriber shortcircuit
    The Energizer
    17 Sep '12 15:52
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I'm not sure Tampa Bay is "woeful"; they did beat Carolina and might contend in the NFC South with New Orleans apparently melting down. The Giants should have won easily based on the yardage figures but Eli made some very poor decisions leading to INTs in the first half. Fortunately, TB had very little pass rush and Manning was able to light them up in t ...[text shortened]... at all.

    It will be interesting what the "woeful" Bucs do in Dallas next week.
    I couldn't believe Baltimore coughed up the win yesterday against Philly, although I am glad they did.
    That loss may prove to be a bonus for the Texans come playoff time.

    Dallas, Seattle and New Orleans are tough to figure out right now.

    And where the hell did the Rams come from yesterday, and against RGIII to boot?

    Looks like it is going to be a season full of upsets and questions to be answered.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    17 Sep '12 15:57
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    I couldn't believe Baltimore coughed up the win yesterday against Philly, although I am glad they did.
    That loss may prove to be a bonus for the Texans come playoff time.

    Dallas, Seattle and New Orleans are tough to figure out right now.

    And where the hell did the Rams come from yesterday, and against RGIII to boot?

    Looks like it is going to be a season full of upsets and questions to be answered.
    The Rams nearly beat the Lions in Week 1. I wasn't shocked they knocked off Washington.

    Arizona beating the Pats in New England was the big stunner.

    I thought before the season that the Texans should be favored to win the Super Bowl. I haven't seen anything to change my mind; their division is easy esp. with Tennessee looking so bad. Houston has a good D, and excellent offensive weapons. Keep Schaub on the field and I think there's a good chance they'll hoist the trophy.
  13. Subscriber shortcircuit
    The Energizer
    17 Sep '12 17:59
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Rams nearly beat the Lions in Week 1. I wasn't shocked they knocked off Washington.

    Arizona beating the Pats in New England was the big stunner.

    I thought before the season that the Texans should be favored to win the Super Bowl. I haven't seen anything to change my mind; their division is easy esp. with Tennessee looking so bad ...[text shortened]... eapons. Keep Schaub on the field and I think there's a good chance they'll hoist the trophy.
    I am hopeful you are correct about the Texans.
    This season I thought the Pats were vulnerable, but still plenty strong.
    I thought the Ravens might be the toughest opposition in the AFC.

    Yes, Arizona's upset of NE was the biggest stunner, but I still think it was a fluke.
    I do not see Arizona challenging for much, and I think NE had an off day.
    Injuries are also mounting for them as well.

    I just don't think a lot of the Rams, or of Sam Bradford as a top tier QB.
    I think that RGIII and Luck will both be pretty productive this season.

    Pittsburgh and Denver are teams that could go far, if they stay injury free.

    SF and GB are the class of the NFC with Det, NYG. Atlanta and Philly close behind.

    It is a long season.
  14. 17 Sep '12 23:12
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I'm not sure Tampa Bay is "woeful"; they did beat Carolina and might contend in the NFC South with New Orleans apparently melting down. The Giants should have won easily based on the yardage figures but Eli made some very poor decisions leading to INTs in the first half. Fortunately, TB had very little pass rush and Manning was able to light them up in t ...[text shortened]... at all.

    It will be interesting what the "woeful" Bucs do in Dallas next week.
    Less woeful than the Cowboys to be sure! I have rarely seen a more listless performance by players calling themselves professionals. I predicted this would happen after the Cowboys celebrated the NYG victory as if they had actually won something. Manning put up impressive numbers and pulled off an incredible win! How this shapes up their season remains to be seen, but they are certainly better coached then the Cowboys.
  15. 18 Sep '12 19:42 / 1 edit
    I think you guys are being too hard on the cowbosos. Did you watch the games or are you just plucking out stats? Watch the differences in the Hawks from weeks 1 & 2 then look at the differences in the Cowboys from weeks 1 & 2.... Seattles O-line completely manhandled the Cowboys D-line... this wasn't a question of player ability this was superior coaching.

    The Cardinals brought different pressure packages against the seahawks in week 1 which kept them off balance and didn't let them get comfortable in their gameplan.... The cowboys didn't do this. The special teams was a bonus but I think you will see things like that happen for the Hawks a few more times this season.

    The least surprising was the hawks defense.... listening to the commentators, you could tell they were awed by the tenacious, physical, and overall suffocating defense.